Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to try every thing I put an 08 slipper clutch in my bike today. I only put about 10 miles on it tonight but my first night impression is that Harley got the clutch right. I tested the slipper function purposely down shifting to second gear at 70 mph and letting out the clutch quickly. It wasn't violent or anything else but it did not lock up the rear tire and the clutch just slipped until the rpm increased and the speed decreased. It still allows use of the motor to brake but it just doesn't allow the back tire to lock up while motor braking.

As far as clutch pull it is approx 20% lighter clutch pull then a stock 02-07 clutch and just a little heavier clutch pull then the AIM unit. Operation was very smooth compared to other stock clutches I had tried and finding neutral from either first or second gear was very easy. I put the clutch in exactly as they come without any heavier springs or shims and it seemed to hold even the turbo in stock configuration when doing 55mph roll ons with it which is very impressive for the amount of clutch pull required.

Overall I think the 08 clutch released by Harley would make a nice option for those looking for an alternative to some of the other releases. I think looking at the disc that the current Barnett clutch disc may even fit the slipper pack but I didn't try them while I had it apart but I wanted to try it stock first and then alter it later to see what changes I could make. The clutch is available now from Hales and other online sites and from your local dealer. Price was $285 and worth every penny.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Good write up Max. I would be interested in knowing how it would handle launches of up to 8000 rpm.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys that have the AIM's I can also report that my AIM had almost 10k miles on it and still looks like brand new. It shows no wear or marks on the lead in ramps or any of the counter weight arms. I had mine really pumped up with heavy springs and two shims and it never missed a beat, they are a quality built unit.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vrodderD said:
Good write up Max. I would be interested in knowing how it would handle launches of up to 8000 rpm.

It was dark tonight but I'll try a 7k rpm launch tomorrow. :)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing to mention on the clutch is if you have a very quiet exhaust you will probably get a noticeable click or ratchet sound when switching from neutral to first or neutral to second gear. I'm sure it is the way the ramping system inside the clutch works that causes the noise.

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts
Do you have a part number on the clutch? Also, any instructions on the install?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Do you have the part number/numbers? I have locked mine up before downshifting, I don't want to try that out in a corner someday.

Thanks

Edit: Oops, Curly there beat me to it......

·
4,638 Posts
Coming in with only three family members, the V-Rod branch of the Bar & Shield tree may be the smallest, but for 2008 it’s also the one packing the most punch. Designed initially for the CVO Screamin’ Eagle V-Rod, this year the Revolution motor has been punched out from an 1130cc unit to 1250cc and finds a home in all three models, the VRSCAW V-Rod, VRSCD Night Rod and the VRSCDX Night Rod Special. Delivering 125 hp and 85 ft/lbs of torque, this engine has the help of a racing-inspired “slipper clutch” that decreases drivetrain stresses and eliminates rear-wheel lock-up during rapid downshifting.

A clutch assist feature aids in getting all that power to the ground by reducing clutch lever pull by 20 percent and gives the V-Rods the lightest pull of all Harleys. Brembo brakes come standard on all new V-Rods, along with the optional ABS. As with the systems available on the touring models, this ABS works independently between the front and rear brakes and can be limited by wheel selection, giving the rider total control. Although the blacked out Night Rod and Night Rod Special have their own dark appeal, the two-tone 105th Anniversary Copper Pearl and Vivid Black edition (only available on the V-Rod in the VRSC lineup) seemed to stand out above all the other Anniversary models.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The unit is a kit tha comes with everything ready to drop in your basket.
37938-08K

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Max said:
The unit is a kit tha comes with everything ready to drop in your basket.
37938-08K
Did I hear you say Group Buy?
I bet we could possibly....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Harleyvrodguy said:
Did I hear you say Group Buy?
I bet we could possibly....

You might find a dealer to kick in and work out some sort of deal. Maybe a couple of people should approach a couple and see.

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
Got two on order from Zanotti's!!!! Ordered about a week ago

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
um you ordered two why ? you need one for those disco lights and one for the tranny ? LOL

on a serious note.. i wont be doing this til i wear out my AIM which is most likely never .. lol

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3OliveMartini said:
um you ordered two why ? you need one for those disco lights and one for the tranny ? LOL

on a serious note.. i wont be doing this til i wear out my AIM which is most likely never .. lol
Liz the AIM is still easier to pull by just a little bit so changing for for lever pull would be a mistake. The AIM is an excellent built unit and still has it's own strengths such as increased pressure at rpm which is something the Harley clutch doesn't have and the AIM is still lighter pull with no shims installed.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
$245 shipped from Zanottis, Do ya really need a group buy at that price?
Ed

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Z16monte said:
$245 shipped from Zanottis, Do ya really need a group buy at that price?
Ed

That is cheap

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
So with the turbo and a fat 280- would you leave the clutch stock?

I'm thinking the 280 is what ate my Barnett.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts