Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitted a CFR system today to my 08 Night Rod Special, bought the pipes along with K & N filter, took them home and fitted them, then off to Uhaul for a trailer to take the bike into the dealer for its new download…. However just after I arrived I was told by the service manger that an 08 model does not require a new download after new pipes have been fitted providing the K & N (or similar) is fitted
Comments please I don’t want to melt anything down
ATB
Grame

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Closed loop Fuel Injection with O2 sensors, self adjusting, just like your car.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Donwe said:
Closed loop Fuel Injection with O2 sensors, self adjusting, just like your car.
Just like your car, huh?? In that case Scottishredneck run to a dyno and get a tune.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Just like your car, huh?? In that case Scottishredneck run to a dyno and get a tune.
Does a closed loop system not use the O2 sensors to adjust AFR?

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Donwe said:
Does a closed loop system not use the O2 sensors to adjust AFR?
Yes. But there is a range of adjustment built into the stock map. Opening up the engine would push the operating parameters over the stock map and it will run lean. Get it tuned to add the needed fuel over and above what the stock map can provide.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Yes. But there is a range of adjustment built into the stock map. Opening up the engine would push the operating parameters over the stock map and it will run lean. Get it tuned to add the needed fuel over and above what the stock map can provide.
So as long as he's not showing signs of running lean, he should be fine? I added a vortech supercharger to my F-250 and my last DEQ was spot on with my previous checks, actually it was better, which considering I dumped my Cats, would tell me my system is compensating just fine.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Donwe said:
So as long as he's not showing signs of running lean, he should be fine? I added a vortech supercharger to my F-250 and my last DEQ was spot on with my previous checks, actually it was better, which considering I dumped my Cats, would tell me my system is compensating just fine.
Thats amazing considering your truck is a mass air system and adding any power adder most certainly would require some sort of reflash-chip depending on year... Diablo, JMS etc.etc. If I'm not mistaken Vortech sends a chip/ hand held flasher with each street supercharger they sell for mod motors. Correct? A V-Rod requires a tune period.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Thats amazing considering your truck is a mass air system and adding any power adder most certainly would require some sort of reflash-chip depending on year... Diablo, JMS etc.etc. If I'm not mistaken Vortech sends a chip/ hand held flasher with each street supercharger they sell for mod motors. Correct? A V-Rod requires a tune period.
Then I am getting bad info from my dealer, but you are mistaken about my Vortech.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Donwe said:
Then I am getting bad info from my dealer, but you are mistaken about my Vortech.
edumacate on your dealer installed vortech... better yet why don't you guarantee Scottishredneck your advice is good and when he blows up is brand new bike you'll cover all his expenses.

BTW I use to run FFW and NMRA. I know a thing or two about Vortech chargers. You having someone put one in your TRUCK doesn't make you a genius on power adders let alone giving half ass advice on tuning a V-Rod.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
I am with bill on this one, the map parameters may not be sufficient.

Unless you have access to HD map data or dyno, you will never know.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Biker Bill said:
edumacate on your dealer installed vortech... better yet why don't you guarantee Scottishredneck your advice is good and when he blows up is brand new bike you'll cover all his expenses.

BTW I use to run FFW and NMRA. I know a thing or two about Vortech chargers. You having someone put one in your TRUCK doesn't make you a genius on power adders let alone giving half ass advice on tuning a V-Rod.
Just because you work for GM doesn't mean you know anything about real cars.:)

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
The 08 has 02 sensors,but this is not a true closed loop system.It only calibrates at idle and cruize.You will still need to tune for part throttle acceration and WOT.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Donwe said:
Just because you work for GM doesn't mean you know anything about real cars.:)
So we get this straight, due to your childish slander of my place of employment, (I'd expect better from a 43 year old) you acknowledge you have no idea what your talking about and won't give Scottishredneck that guarantee.:D

Donwe you have no idea what I know about real cars. Besides, this is a V-Rod site and you have proven to 18,000+ members here you know very little about VR's and give bad advice to people you do not know about them. All because thats what you think your dealer did to your truck when they installed a supercharger? WTF?? BTW everyone knows turbos are the way to go.:) Two questions for shits and giggles. Do you know what a mod motor is?? How about Spanish Oak? Didn't think so....

·
Registered
964 Posts
Vinny and Bill are correct.

However I am not sure what tuners are currently available for the 08 and what if anything you have to do to your sensors when you install the tuner. I think I have seen a few post on this in the EFI section. I suggest you go there and read up.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
CRAZY CLIVE said:
I am with bill on this one, the map parameters may not be sufficient.

Unless you have access to HD map data or dyno, you will never know.
This is TRUE.. HD Maps from the factory are to the lean side anyhow, and opening it up will make it even leaner.. My wife's '07 sportster has O2 sensors on it and it needed/needs to be dyno tuned.. Nothing changed other than the dealer installing pipes and downloading a pre-defined map on it..

Once the bike was broke in, it started running rougher.. missing.. It is running too lean, so I put a new map on it to clean it up a bit.. but still needs to be fully dynoed.. Basically the O2 sensors couldn't richen it up enough and I am sure the V-Rods will have the same issues..

·
Registered
488 Posts
mnerren said:
LOL, the dealer told you that it requires no tuning? Wow!!
I also have a new 08 dx and the dealer told me the same thing, he said once the pipes reach 600 degrees the O2 sensor will will adjust the map. He said save your 300-500 dollars that a pc3 will not do anything..

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
scotman623 said:
I also have a new 08 dx and the dealer told me the same thing, he said once the pipes reach 600 degrees the O2 sensor will will adjust the map. He said save your 300-500 dollars that a pc3 will not do anything..
These are the same dealers that told me that the '08 VRSC doesn't have ABS as an option just a month ago.. right?? :stilpoke:

I put VERY little faith in what the dealer says..

·
Registered
488 Posts
VRod RS said:
These are the same dealers that told me that the '08 VRSC doesn't have ABS as an option just a month ago.. right?? :stilpoke:

I put VERY little faith in what the dealer says..
I am not really worried about if they are right or wrong, I only keep a bike for 1-2 years tops. I have a full 2 year warranty, and if they say I do not need a new map then they can fix it if it breaks..

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Your engine won't last a year if you don't have a fuel adder.And I doubt that Warranty will cover dealer ignorance.If you refuse to listen to the advise from the forum,then happy motoring.I hope it doesn't cease up when your doing 65+mph on the highway

1 - 20 of 21 Posts