Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, be gentle, this is my first thread on this forum.

I have an 08 AW with CFR exhaust, K&N High Flow filter. Being an 08 it doesn't look like I have many options, PCMIII not yet available, SERT not yet available.

My question is if I have a Stage 1 download done with this setup will it be rich enough to prevent engine damage? I know it will not be exactly right and I plan on adding a PCMIII and dyno tune as soon as available.

One stealer says it will be OK and another says there is no such thing as a Stage 1 download for a V-Rod (yea I won't be going back to that one).

Thanks

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
. . . . I don't know, I'd probably return it to stock until a feuling device is available. Is the CFR Fueler unacceptible for the 08 bikes?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CFR Fueler

Xoygeha said:
. . . . I don't know, I'd probably return it to stock until a feuling device is available. Is the CFR Fueler unacceptible for the 08 bikes?
I talked with CFR. They're indicating the end of November before their fueler is ready for the 08's

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
BTW, there IS NO "Stage 1" download for an '08 VRSC. Previous "Stage 1" downloads are not applicable to either your motor or ECM.

The Race Tuner is available BUT there are questions as to it's reliability on the '08 ECM's. That question has not been properly answered by the MoCo yet.

Your only real option is to return to stock and wait for proper solutions to become available.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stage 1 Download

mjw930 said:
BTW, there IS NO "Stage 1" download for an '08 VRSC. Previous "Stage 1" downloads are not applicable to either your motor or ECM.
I called the dealer who is scheduled to do the Stage 1 download on my 08 tomorrow. They told me they have done several 08 downloads with no issues???

Has anyone else had a stage 1 download on an 08?

Ah, the joy of having a new engine model

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
What's a "Stage 1" download?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
282 said:
I called the dealer who is scheduled to do the Stage 1 download on my 08 tomorrow. They told me they have done several 08 downloads with no issues???

The "Stage 1" download as it is commonly refered to is the download they used in the days where there were Screamin Eagle pipes available for the V-Rod. They were designed to compensate for the exhaust, and SE air filter. The "Stage" name is really a misnomer from the Twincam side of the line, but that is a topic for another day.

There was a flash for the ECM for the Slipfits SE pipes, and one for the 16Ga SE pipes.

Since HD no longer offers those pipes, there is no flash for the 2008 bikes. Therefore, there is no need to flash the ecm. So, they no longer offer the flash.

Be sure you know what your dealer is putting on your bike. Ask them to see exactly what the download is for. If it isn't for your bike (1250 cc displacement) and your airfilter, and your pipes, it isn't going to work right. I don't care how many times the tell you "It'll be close enough."

FWIW, the 1250 isn't all that NEW. They were on the SE bikes in 2005 and 2006. They were in the VRSCX in 2007. They have been re-tweaked for mass production, but this motor has been around for a couple, three years now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PCMIII Update

I contacted Dynojet to see if they had any updates on when a PCMIII might be available. Below is their response. Maybe it won't be long.:D

We are trying to get to California this week to look at one. Will hopefully have more information next week. Thanks.

Dustin Schaller

Powersports Technical Support Manager

Dynojet Research

800-992-4993

www.dynojet.com

www.powercommander.com

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
282 said:

Please read my post immediately above yours.

There is NO Stage 1 flash for '08 bikes.

There is a map in the Race Tuner for '08 bikes and the SE air filter, if that's what they are talking about then it will do absolutely nothing for you if you have anything other than the stock exhaust pipes, it only compensates for the SE air filter.

Don't waste you money because if they are charging you for this work you are getting ripped off.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
either go with race tuner or you can go with the DOBECK GEN2 or new GEN3 TFI box......this is the way I am going...Manolo and a couple others on this forums are running them on their 08s...

also cheaper then others including PC111 which isnt out yet for 08s.

you can email GEORGE at dobeck about 08 TFI boxes,as they arent yet listed on their site...but George knows and will set you up...ive spoke to him.

Hope this helps....
Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks guys, great info.

From looking around on the forum, it looks like the SERT should be available. I'm going to talk to the local stealer tomorrow and see. I was only considering the download to hold me over until the SERT or PCIII was available.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
282 said:
Thanks guys, great info.

From looking around on the forum, it looks like the SERT should be available. I'm going to talk to the local stealer tomorrow and see. I was only considering the download to hold me over until the SERT or PCIII was available.
FYI, on earlier Race Tuners there was an ECM glitch if you tried to program an ECM that had one of the SE Flashes installed. Not sure if that's been taken care of but it's always better to start from a bone stock ECM if you are thinking about using the Race Tuner.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Made it down to the dealer today. I told the guy in parts I wanted to go with the SERT since the download was not available. He again said, "sure the download is available, we've done three in the last few weeks". Not that I was going to do it, but just to prove a point, I had him call the service manager over. The service manager didn't think it was available but called HD (tech support I guess) anyway. When he came back he said "there's no download available". Maybe the dealers should be required to study this site once a day so they stay current:D

Anyway, they had the correct version of the SERT in stock, supposed to Dyno tomorrow or Thursday. I'll try and post the Dyno results. I forgot to mention to service today that I wanted the map saved but I'll call in the morning so it'll be available if someone needs it.

Thanks for all the great advice and help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update #2

Got the bike back from the dealer this afternoon. Absolutely love the sound from the CFR 2-1.:D

The dyno tech forgot to make me a copy of the map like I asked and was already gone when I got there. They promised to make me a copy next week.

I also asked for the dyno printouts. They had the baseline run but their printer went on the fritz so I don't know what the final results were. The baseline w/o the airbox was 111.37 hp and 79.21 ft-lb. I'll post the map and dyno charts when I get them.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
282 said:
Got the bike back from the dealer this afternoon. Absolutely love the sound from the CFR 2-1.:D

The dyno tech forgot to make me a copy of the map like I asked and was already gone when I got there. They promised to make me a copy next week.

I also asked for the dyno printouts. They had the baseline run but their printer went on the fritz so I don't know what the final results were. The baseline w/o the airbox was 111.37 hp and 79.21 ft-lb. I'll post the map and dyno charts when I get them.
The 2008's are 1250's right?

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
282 said:

Edit, waiting to see dyno sheet!

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
DTHDOC said:
OUCH, if it is a 1250 motor find new tuner!
he's saying that that was the baseline, before the tune. the after-tune #'s unavailable due to a printer problem...

:D

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Stock 1130 motors with no modification are really putting about 103 HP to the rear wheel regardless of what some "happy" dynos report. adding a pipe and taking the top off without any tuning compensation will have marginal effect on HP output and considering the added weight of the 240 setup 111.37 HP from a basically stock 1250 IF the dyno is properly calibrated is about right. A proper tune should get them into the high teens, probably around 115 - 118 HP ON THIS DYNO, YMMV ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts