Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering with all the problems with the fuel gauges on the '07, what have the lucky few with an '08 been seeing, same 'ol problem or fuel gauge nirvana?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bike has 600 miles on it, filled up about 65 miles from home on Saturday and when I got home it still was way above full. Went for a ride on Monday for about 38 miles and it was still reading full, Shut it off at a friends house and when I went to leave the gauge now was almost at a half tank...Well it look like I need to complain to dealer at my first service....

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
I've only have avout 170 miles on mine and it seems to be ok. I read the problems here so when it got down to almost a 1/4 tank I filled up and put about 3.5 gallons in. The gauge reads way past full for a while then starts dropping quickly but does seems to be accurate so far. I have the trip set so I know I can get at least 130-140 miles so I'll see how it looks then.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
fafafooey said:
I have about 1100 miles on mine ad I have seen no issues so far. I still reset Trip B every fillup though.
I thought the same exact thing at the same mileage then it happened. I had it
parked outside overnight- one would think is normal but I suppose she's use to the garage. Anyhow, I come out and hit the road noticing it reads 1/2 tank..... and it was full. After about 1/2 hour of riding the gauge popped up to a little over 3/4 tank or so. Suppose I need to do only mileage monitoring like on my sportbike. No gauge at all- just blinks when 1 gallon remains!

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
just wondering...isnt there some sort of fuel light that comes on when its low?....does the LIGHT work IF the gauge is not working properly still?..

do the new rods have the mileage countdown feature that some of the aircooled HDs have?...

thanks
dan

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
just wondering...isnt there some sort of fuel light that comes on when its low?....does the LIGHT work IF the gauge is not working properly still?..

do the new rods have the mileage countdown feature that some of the aircooled HDs have?...

thanks
dan
Yes, don't know, and yes.

There is a warning light at 1 gallon left. I'm not sure how the sending unit is done to where if the warning light and the gauges read together or not. I do think that they do have a "miles to empty" counter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Paul DX said:
Yes, don't know, and yes.

There is a warning light at 1 gallon left. I'm not sure how the sending unit is done to where if the warning light and the gauges read together or not. I do think that they do have a "miles to empty" counter.
They read the same sensor:mad:

It WOULD be nice if the gas warning light was a seperate system that would function as a back-up but alas... No.

And yes, there is a miles-to-go countdown when you get low but it's all the same system, which is pretty much useless. Monitor your odo!!!

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
NOS-DAN said:

thanks
dan
Yes there is a fuel low light that comes on, not sure how it is affected when the guage isn't working on my 06 SEE even when the guage didn't seem to work the low fuel light would come on and seemed to be more reliable than the guage. My fuel guage seems to be working ok so far. I have been setting and resetting the trip odo at each fill up and when the guage indicates a quarter of a tank or so I usually have around a hundred and six or so miles. So far I have around 850 miles on my DX. A couple of times the display has switched from mileage to miles remaining. When the fuel low light came on the needle on the guage was below a quarter of a tank. No gaurentee that all of the 08 DX guages work but so far mine is doing good.:dance: :dance:

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Funny thing is I had some problems but in past month have had no issues..

I know, next time out it will go haywire again...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have 544 miles so far, and the gauge appears to work fine. When the light came on last time, it had about 1 gallon left when filled. I will say that the tank seems to trap some air. When filled, a couple bumps to the bike always results in some trapped air getting bubbled up and making room for more fuel. If the sensor is sonic in nature, then air would be the enemy, no? Not sure if that matters but, I have had a pretty reliable reading so far.

-Paul

·
Banned
405 Posts
1500+ miles no problems with my gauge. I do use my trip but so far everything is calculating correctly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1100 miles and no problems

After just over 1100 miles I have found the fuel gauge to be right on with my 08 DX. When the "Low Fuel" light comes on, I fill up and regularly take on 4 to 4.2 gallons. Because of the posts here, I've been checking but the system appears to be fairly accurate on my bike.

The only issue is that my "MPG" is usually between 32 and 34 (not any where close to the advertised 42). The 34 was mostly highway riding. From what I've read here, I'm guessing that it's fairly normal. Having come from a 2001 Night Train with lot's of motor work, I'm not complaining. I'm extremly pleased with my move to the "Dark Side"!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts