Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me wether 07 aftermarket exhausts will fit the 08 models??

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Physically they will fit, but there are not many tuners that can handle the o2 sensors yet.

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so they will bolt on. I am still awaiting my bike but have a set of Rinehart Staggered, Sert, K&N filter sitting at the dealer waiting to be fitted when it arrives. Read elswhere on this site of an AW owner who brought the same pipes only to have the dealer ring him and tell him they wouldnt fit??

·
Registered
318 Posts
If the exhaust is not set up for 02 sensors then they would probably tell you they wont fit.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Wick said:
Ok so they will bolt on. I am still awaiting my bike but have a set of Rinehart Staggered, Sert, K&N filter sitting at the dealer waiting to be fitted when it arrives. Read elswhere on this site of an AW owner who brought the same pipes only to have the dealer ring him and tell him they wouldnt fit??

several exhausts for our Vrods are SLIP ONS...meaning the stock HEADPIPES(two) remain intact....the 02 sensors on the 08s are within the two stock headpipes..

that being said,you CAN use MANY of the exhausts on your 08 from previous model yrs and make them physically fit.....(CFR,thunderheader to name two)..I bought myself a used thunderheader off a 04 vrod...the THs are a slip on 2-1 setup,so the 02 remain intact and I will simply Make up a new bracket for my wider frame....

you need to take into account the WIDER FRAME of the 07 and newer models,which will have a slightly different bracket mount for wide frame.

your biggest issue with 08 models will be a fuel controller....this is due to fact the 08s are a 1250 & have the 02 sensors which need a different controller then previous model yrs...DOBECK has two available at the moment and I think the SERT from HD is also out...no others out as of this thread though.

you mentioned RINY 2-2 staggereds....those pipes are a FULL SYSTEM and would NOT work on your 08....they do not have BUNGS for the 02 sensors....now,there is no reason you could not have bungs welded into them,especially if you have those pipes already and like them...

Im quite sure you MIGHT be able to go around the 02 sensors IF you use a GEN2 dobeck which Ive heard eliminates the use of 02 sensors altogether...but you would need to talk to DOBECK about their GEN2 first....IF the GEN 2 dobeck basically eliminates the 02s,then I see no reason that you couldnt use your 2-2 staggereds as is...without 02 bungs.

hope this helps
Dan

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
ROCKERDAN said:
Im quite sure you MIGHT be able to go around the 02 sensors IF you use a GEN2 dobeck which Ive heard eliminates the use of 02 sensors altogether...but you would need to talk to DOBECK about their GEN2 first....IF the GEN 2 dobeck basically eliminates the 02s,then I see no reason that you couldnt use your 2-2 staggereds as is...without 02 bungs.

hope this helps
Dan
Yep with the Dobeck GenII you can just remove the O2 all together so the '07 system would work on an '08 no problem. If you are going GenIII or SERT then you'll need to weld in the O2 bungs.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
I may go with just mufflers and the dobeck, waitin on Dan to see his results.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Paul DX said:
Yep with the Dobeck GenII you can just remove the O2 all together so the '07 system would work on an '08 no problem. If you are going GenIII or SERT then you'll need to weld in the O2 bungs.

Great Info PAUL!....i thought so...good job!:notworth:

Dan

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for your info. I already have the pipes and the SERT,the pipes have one bung in them for the o2 sensor. Do the 08 have 2 or 1 o2sen.

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
No problem. 2 sensors, 1 for each cylinder bank.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Wick said:
Thanks very much for your info. I already have the pipes and the SERT,the pipes have one bung in them for the o2 sensor. Do the 08 have 2 or 1 o2sen.
do you have the SERT for 08?...you will need a 08 exhaust IM pretty sure with both bungs for the SERT..

the only fueler that removes the 02s is the GEN2 Dobeck TFI.....with this you could use any system that fits physically.

Dan

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
With the SERT you can put the bike into open loop mode and remove the O2 sensors quite easily though you might throw a code.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
mjw930 said:
With the SERT you can put the bike into open loop mode and remove the O2 sensors quite easily though you might throw a code.

thanks MJ....Im learning everyday here!....:notworth: :notworth:

Dan

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it looks like the pipes I have will work Ill have to weld another bung in them or remove the o2 sensors. Thanks for all your advice. All I need now is my bike to turn up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts