Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped of my 2008 DX on Tuesday at the dealership to have a little work done. I finally had time to go back today to get it.

They installed the TAB slash cuts and K&N high flow air filter (left the top on) for free. They also did the 1k mile tune-up and installed the SERT for the 2008 models (part number 32107-01H).

Then I had them dyno tune the bike. Max power went from 106.4 to 115.3 and Max torque went from 71.7 to 79.7.

Before I dropped off the bike, there was a very noticable torque pop right off the throttle in 1st. That is now gone and first feels a little mushy until about half way through 1st's power band and then the bike feels really punchy.

The sound is great...awesome. Heads were turning... I love cracking it with the clutch in. It sounds like a race car...

I never had any popping with the stock cans, but now I have a little popping and gurgleing.

It's like learning to ride a new bike, but I like it. I kinda liked the pop in first from the torque bump, but then coming down the torque curve sucked now that everything is pretty much the same (as far as responsiveness) throughout the rpm band.

The dealer printed the micro-tune run results as well for me. It took three runs to get me where I am. HP went from 106.4 -> 110.9 -> 115.3. Torque went from 71.7 -> 75.2 -> 79.7.

I'll try to scan these results and post them later tonight. I'll also try to take a picture with the TABs on and get it up, but I think there's a bunch of these out there.

Off to ride for now.

Oh yeah...I can already notice the gas consumption difference. Very noticable.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
hey there...just wondering,I assume you mean your MPG went down?...

what is the cost of the SERT,and do you need to get the dyno tune with that?

Dan

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NOS-DAN said:
hey there...just wondering,I assume you mean your MPG went down?...

what is the cost of the SERT,and do you need to get the dyno tune with that?

Dan
From my 24 hours of experience, the gas consumption is increased A LOT. I'm gonna run few tanks through it (won't take long) and try to get an average MPG. But, it is a noticable decrease in MPG for sure.

My dealer had an open house/weiner roast a couple weekends ago and they were doing 15-50% off anything in store (except bikes). The parts guy gave me 15% off on the 2008 SERT and after tax it was $418.00. I think before tax and discount it's normally $469.99.

After changing the air filter and the cans, it's absolutely necessary to add some sort of fuel manager and either have it dyno tuned for a custom map or (if it's common setup) have them put a suitable map on the fuel manager.

They charged me an hours worth of labor to install the SERT and do the three dyno tune runs. They basically gave me the dyno tune for free because they wanted the map for my setup for future customers. What a bunch of nice guys...

HOpe this helps.

fafa

·
Registered
256 Posts
2007 DX with v-mod, K&N filter toppless, SERT; Dynoed: I got 107 hp at the wheel, not sure what the torq. was and it was the hottest day of the year with humidity high. It was schedualed ahead of time so it is what it is. They said though on a cool day the HP will be higher. Anyway I'm happy with it! Also, the gas consumption is the same, 42 mpg, although I'm not a street pounder but I do get on it once in a while! @ 52 yrs old, it's fast enough for me!!

·
syclone
44 Posts
3 pulls tuning with a SERT is not a dyno tune.. Cant even tune just wide open throttle in 3 pulls.....then there is hot idle...cold idle..and10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90 percent throttle pulls......Thats for the VE fuel tables ...now you start over to do the timimg maps for both cylinders.
I might believe 46 pulls... and maybe 4-5 hours to allow for cool down time.
Glad you're happy though..... just sayin.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
fafafooey said:
looks good. Didn't get to dyno the bike with S.E.R.T till way after it was stock,but made 120+rwhp with a Gil's Box an T/T's back in 2002:dance: !

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can I ask which dealer fitted your SERT? My local dealer here in Seattle has told me that HD is still developing the software for the 08's SERT as they had a problem with its first release. I want to make sure that my dealer isnt stalling me. Althought I have read elsewhere on the forum about the delays in 08 SERT software.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
143 Posts
Batts - are you using Eastside Harley? There is a guy there named Kevin that is a Vrod nut...nice guy on the phone, too. U might want to give him a shout.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
batts said:
Can I ask which dealer fitted your SERT? My local dealer here in Seattle has told me that HD is still developing the software for the 08's SERT as they had a problem with its first release. I want to make sure that my dealer isnt stalling me. Althought I have read elsewhere on the forum about the delays in 08 SERT software.

Thanks,
Mark
Atlantic County Harley Davidson near Atlantic City, NJ. Talk to Brian in Service if you have questions... They had 50 SERTs for 2008s in stock when I bought mine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Slick Willy said:
Batts - are you using Eastside Harley? There is a guy there named Kevin that is a Vrod nut...nice guy on the phone, too. U might want to give him a shout.
Thanks for that, but i just rang Eastside and said they didnt know a Kevin :banghead:

What section does he work in?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
230 Posts
fafafooey said:
Atlantic County Harley Davidson near Atlantic City, NJ. Talk to Brian in Service if you have questions... They had 50 SERTs for 2008s in stock when I bought mine.
Thanks for that - Ill give them a call..

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
So far there have been 2 reports of the -01H Race Tuner (-01L software) locking up '08 ECM's. Apparently its a random event and doesn't effect every '08.

BTW, there's something fishy about the dyno charts. Why do the ones except for the final big number pull end at 8200 RPM and the final pull ends at almost 9300 RPM?

Did they give you a copy of the file they created and downloaded into your bike? 1 hour and 3 pulls isn't enough time to create a custom map and tune an EFI bike. I suspect they loaded something they had canned and put 1 or 2 tweaks on it. I also suspect they played with the dyno to make the final pull look better than it really is. I'm not trying to be a downer but the reality is it takes 5 - 6 hours to correctly tune an EFI bike IF you have the proper brake dyno.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
syclone said:
3 pulls tuning with a SERT is not a dyno tune.. Cant even tune just wide open throttle in 3 pulls.....then there is hot idle...cold idle..and10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90 percent throttle pulls......Thats for the VE fuel tables ...now you start over to do the timimg maps for both cylinders.
I might believe 46 pulls... and maybe 4-5 hours to allow for cool down time.
Glad you're happy though..... just sayin.
:them:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts