Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 08D model owner here and not wasting any time getting this this thing tuned.... K+N Topless, Stock pipes baffles removed and PC111 with a good map. Runs great and has a ton of power and i really love the bike! However, When it gets hot, I start to get the rough running in the 3-4000rpm range but only when hot. I suspect a bit of a rich condition as i get a bit of backfiring through the exhaust. I will try a few of the different MAP's available here but my question is what temp thermostat do these bikes have? It seems a bit high..... I am an old school hot rodder and have always had good luck with 180 degree thermostats. Does the PC require a different one other than stock? What is stock?? I think its a bit on the hot side and would like to try something around 185..... I am being picky here as the bike runs really good but just gets a bit rough in the 3-4K range but only when the engine gets hot...... TIA... TBF

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Sounds like a map issue to me. Post up your map so we can take a look.
I had a PC-III on my 08 D and was never able to find a good map, and I tried a bunch of them. Ended up selling the PC-III and went another direction.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the map from this thread here

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1645349&postcount=14

Has very snappy throttle response and runs very well until the engine gets hot and the cooling fan starts to kick on. I was tying to decide if I should get a thermostat with a lower temp? I do live in florida and wondering if anybody new the temp of the stock thermostat and if anybody has used a lower temp one as well? TBF

·
Registered
83 Posts
may be because that map is for a 2:1 exhaust. if im thinking of this correctly the bike is probably in closed loop until heated up and then would be in open loop. which may be why you only notice it after it gets to operating temp. dont flame me if im wrong. plus air density may be different from florida to texas from when this map was made

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Did you disconnect the 02 sensors and install the "eliminators"?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the stock thermostat opens around 174 degrees. i had a v-rod that ran very well until it warmed up and then ran poorly,,the ecm uses a dual range scale on the temp sensors.. how it works exactly not even hd tech could tell me but the problem was that when it change from the low temp scale to the higher temp scale it wouldn`t change properly and the motor would think it was colder than it was and would cause problems like you describe.. the fix was a new battery as it was a voltage issue with the ecm.. the bike would start fine on the old battery but the voltage was just slightly too low when running for the ecm to work properly... i know this sounds strange but the battery fixed the problem.. hd tech services didn`t have an explanation...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interesting... I did take a peek at the battery and the connections were FINGER TIGHT? Whats up with that Tampa Harley?
HMMM.. I have not ridden the bike yet after tightening the connections but maybe that is the problem? Battery looks new FWIW..... As far as exhaust and O2 Sims, yes all installed and the bike runs absolutely unbelievable until it gets into the hot mode..... my exhaust is stock with baffles removed so not much restriction there so I would think the difference would be negligable as long as the map is for a free flowing exhaust..... I will get home on wed and check it out.... then install my fat 240 that came today! TBF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts