Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....

Its been awhile since ive been around....and to be honest,i got bit by the ROCKER BUG....and I really messed up my entire summer!.....I waited for the 08 RODS to come along,then when I was ready to get that...I saw the ROCKER C on the website....and well,i fell for it....i kno i know...stupid me!...long story short,i put alot of dough down on one,and sure enough as you all know they arent gonna even be around till January it looks like!....

So.....last night Im reading more crap about the rockers,and getting bummed out that Im still riding this sportster around and not my new 08!....So today,im driving to the jobsite and I see a DX...ive seen millions of them in pics,and in showrooms...but this one was beside me!...OMG that thing was friggen gorgeous!....long,low,mean...SINISTER!!!!...needless to say I called my dealer...LOL!

OK...so hes got a 08 vivid/pewter....and lucky for me its a DEMO!.....so I just got home from riding this MONSTER for about an hour..now remember,im currently on a sportster!...OMG i was smiling like a kid at xmas!.....this thing went from 0-90mph in no time flat..I had NO CLUE how fast these friggen bikes were!....needless to say I cannot even look at and aircooled anymore....the brakes nearly threw me over the bars!...brembo!..man o man!..

ok,so now that Im back ontrack and looking for a mighty V....I find out that one local STEALER has a BRAND NEW 07 DX in vivid which is the color i want...heres my question to you all...

has anyone rode the 1130cc then the 1250cc....I dont really want opinions from anyone else..just those who have driven them both or maybe own them both like CHROME buddy.....can you tell me is there a noticeable difference in these two motors?...

would you guys take an 07 DX over an 08 DX for about 1200 less cash?...they are given 500 off MSRP and free frieght/setup which amts to 500 at this dealer...is that worth it?..or Am i better off waiting longer at this point(fall here now) and ordering an 08 with the monster motor and other updates....08 will cost me MSRP 16,695 while the 07 is MSRP 16,495 MINUS 1000,to total 15,495 so its about 1200 less total for the 07 vs 08.

what you guys think!..please chime in gang.....

Great to be back here On the V ROD Forums....I missed you guys!..LOL:alien:

Dan

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
You won't really feel that much difference between the motors, certainly not $1200 worth. The '08 does have the slipper clutch but you can retrofit the '07 for about $300 so that makes it a $900 difference.

Personally, I think $1000 isn't enough discount on an '07. I would push for more like $2000 or have them throw in the slipper clutch for the $1200 difference.

If ABS brakes are something you would consider worth $795 the ordering one would be the way to go. When you consider the motor, clutch and ABS the '08 is well worth the $2000 difference IMHO.

As for the difference in performance, you'll feel it in the lower RPM's but a simple pipe and tune will cover that. Tuning the '08's is still a bit of a mystery with the closed loop system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i would like to know the same thing.

Im in the same boat as you im currently riding around on the good old sportster but made the "MISTAKE" of going to demo day and jumping on the 08 DX. I was a vrod fan before but when i saw and rode the new dx i was blown away by the handling and performance. long story short i have someone lined up to buy my bike and a down payment on a new 08dx waiting in the good old bank account.

But...i have not been on an 07 so i couldnt tell you the difference in the two motors but i have heard that the 08 is a lot more low end torque.

<-----subscribing to the thread

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have had both 1130 and 1250 now back to an 1130 with a new 08 (1250) on order - I found the difference around town and on the highway hard to pick between the two , big difference was the time it took to go from about 140kmh to about 220kmh = 85mph to 130mph the 1250 smoked the 1130 in this area of accelleration , both stock standard engines/bikes .

·
Registered
964 Posts
I sold my 06 se 1250 for an 07 dx 1130. I had a pipe, air cleaner and fuel controller on my se and my dx was stock (when I bought it) I found the dx was not as snappy down low but thats about it.

I also think it was not a fair comparison to do a stock bike against a modded 1250. I really believe had I done the same mods to my dx then there would have little if any difference.

I bought the 07 dx on purpose because I knew I wanted to MOD it heavily and there were few if any pipe/fueler mods for an 08 at the time.

While I agree you should push for a discount on an 07 I think what you get depends on whats going on at that dealer. In my case he had an 07 but no 08s and didnt know when he was going to get one....to date he has not gotten one in even now and I have had the bike for almost two months. I got a decent deal, not a screaming deal.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I would get the 08!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
For only $1200 difference I would go with the 08. But how much cheaper would the 07 have to be for you to buy it? I doubt they would let you walk if you offered them $2000 below msrp on the 07.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Get the one that you want the most ;)

If looks is a big deal, pick your fav color combo, it is pricey to change this. Or if you plan on going to new skins, throw this out of the equation.

If resale is a big deal, pick the 08, 2-5 years away it will sell better than the 07, tho both will depreciate like a rock.

If having the latest and greatest brand new toy is your dream, and you can afford it, live your dream and get the 08.

If up front cost is a big deal, or you want to do mods and need the extra funds, buy on the cheap. In fact, I would check the used 07's, let someone else pay all that 1st year depreciation and maybe get some mods thrown in :)

Man, I am glad the only decision I have to make is what time I want to hop on my Vrod and go screaming down the road ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
HokieRich said:
For only $1200 difference I would go with the 08. But how much cheaper would the 07 have to be for you to buy it? I doubt they would let you walk if you offered them $2000 below msrp on the 07.
red river harley davidson here in wichita falls is taking $2000 off all their 07 vrods, they even have a screaming eagle with the 1250 motor in it that theyre offering for 2000 less.

(940)264-7743 call them and ask for keith or terry, tell them mark sent you.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys...

thanks so much for all the Opinions....this local dealer is sorta known for not ever giving an inch.....so the 500 off MSRP plus free freight/setup is best they will do on the 07....being that I do at least have something to ride now,and fall is coming fast in these parts(sledding season soon) Im going to just go ahead and order the 08 DX....the one I rode was simply incredible!...

now,the next questions will be....pewter or orange?(defintely like vivid)....also i know I will want a more pullback bar,as the forward control and flat bar configuration is pretty hard on body after about 20 minutes....

thanks again...this site truly is the best there is in so many ways!...you guys rock!

dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only problem I have with the pewter is that the Harley Davidson Letters on the air box is orange and doesn't match the strips (same with the wheel strips)

To me the orange flows more ... pewter would be gorgeous if the lettering was the same

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I saw a pewter one at my local dealer, not for me but to each their own. I would get the orange stripes if I was getting an 08. I like the Vivid/Orange the best :notworth:

I think I would skip on the ABS option, I am good with piloting the ship on my own ;)

Now the security would be a nice option. I didn't get that and want to add it.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i totally agree..the one i DEMO'd was pewter and the stripes are really nice metalflake or pearl.....however the wheels and HD logo on airbox are still orange so it doesnt flow....I guess orange is the way...it matches my jacket good anyway...heres a pic of me on the 08 pewter DX yesterday after the DEMO ride....

Dan

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts