Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
this has got to be an electronics issue....Did a circuit of about 15 miles, once having just started the bike from cold, and it idled poorly (but did not stall) at stop signs and lights. Once I got to the beginning of my circuit, I completely shut off the bike and restarted, and it idled properly on the same circuit the whole way home. WTF.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
having just started the bike from cold, and it idled poorly (but did not stall).
I completely shut off the bike and restarted, and it idled properly on the way home.
So are you saying?
no longer stalls when warm
rough idle my or my not stall cold
Idles & runs fine warm

Has the IAC been replaced?
Has the TEMP Sensor been replaced?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So are you saying?
no longer stalls when warm No, stalled once when warm.
rough idle my or my not stall cold.....no, idles choppily, poorly, after initial colds start and warm
Idles & runs fine warm when warm and idling poorly.,....stop and reboot the bike, thens idles properly.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
my AW will stall sometimes when coming down to idle after a long hard ride, or even a ride at 80+MPH.

In other words when it gets real hot the idle gets kinda funky and can sometimes stall.

I thought mine was due to my tune and maybe the two short stacks.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Iac Fod

There is an opening to the IAC between the two velocity stacks. Is there any chance that you dropped something into the IAC when you had the airbox open? Or maybe some foreign object like a tiny piece of rubber has migrated to the IAC. It could be intermittently jamming the IAC valve, causing it to stick. That would explain the high idle speed and the intermittent stalling (low idle speed).

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Has the IAC been replaced?
Has the TEMP Sensor been replaced?

No and no.
Um, check the IAC is working properly? But we've been here before...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
yep, we have been here before....Harley checked all sensors and the IAC....said they where working properly.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
yep, we have been here before....Harley checked all sensors and the IAC....said they where working properly.
Oh, my error, I read it as them saying it was connected properly. I didn't realise they had checked it was working properly. Apologies.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Yeah, they told that to a friend of mine too, when the bike kept stalling at stop lights randomly. then when asking the tech if the bike ever showed a code, he said yes, the IAC, but he cleared it and it did not come back. he also said he could not get it to stall again. took it home and it stalled again! I said hold it at 3000rpm, then just let go of the throttle, does it die? yes it does almost every time!
so on this bike "Harley checked all sensors and the IAC....said they where working properly" too.

yours sounds like a bad ground or connection? or weak or intermittent sensor? maybe starting up in limp-home-mode?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
rode today....stalled once.....plan to put another 2500 miles on it....take in for the 10000mile service....ask them to replace the IAC and the temp sensor at that time....see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Rode 100 miles yesterday....bike stalled at about 30 miles into it....shut bike completely down, and restarted...no issues after that.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Rode 100 miles yesterday....bike stalled at about 30 miles into it....shut bike completely down, and restarted...no issues after that.
Not sure if you’re aware that the Delphi ECM performs a system reset when the ignition is first turned on. This is indicated by the illumination of the “engine” and “key” icons on the Instrument Module (IM). These icons normally illuminate for 4 seconds and then go out when the ignition is first turned on. During this 4 second "reset" several sensors and controls are "calibrated" including the IAC you’ve mentioned before and the TPS (throttle position sensor). It’s important to have the throttle closed during this initial 4 second "reset". Moving or holding the throttle open during this time or starting the engine too soon can cause the problems you describe.

Following the 4 second reset, the icons will turn off and stay off if the ECM and TSSM are "happy". If after another 4 seconds one or more of the icons come back on then you have one or more trouble codes set. If after 8 seconds the icon(s) turn off the trouble code(s) is(are) historic, if the icon(s) stay on the code(s) is(are) current. The “engine” icon indicates ECM trouble codes and the “key” icon indicates TSSM trouble codes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Not sure if you’re aware that the Delphi ECM performs a system reset when the ignition is first turned on. This is indicated by the illumination of the “engine” and “key” icons on the Instrument Module (IM). These icons normally illuminate for 4 seconds and then go out when the ignition is first turned on. During this 4 second "reset" several sensors and controls are "calibrated" including the IAC you’ve mentioned before and the TPS (throttle position sensor). It’s important to have the throttle closed during this initial 4 second "reset". Moving or holding the throttle open during this time or starting the engine too soon can cause the problems you describe.

Following the 4 second reset, the icons will turn off and stay off if the ECM and TSSM are "happy". If after another 4 seconds one or more of the icons come back on then you have one or more trouble codes set. If after 8 seconds the icon(s) turn off the trouble code(s) is(are) historic, if the icon(s) stay on the code(s) is(are) current. The “engine” icon indicates ECM trouble codes and the “key” icon indicates TSSM trouble codes.
I am aware that the ECU recalibrates, but no error codes register when this happens (I do not give throttle when starting)....thus the reason that HD will not change anything....it stalled again today, and again I shut down the bike completely and restarted, and it ran great.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I am aware that the ECU recalibrates, but no error codes register when this happens (I do not give throttle when starting)....thus the reason that HD will not change anything....it stalled again today, and again I shut down the bike completely and restarted, and it ran great.
As long as you don’t move the throttle and wait 4 seconds before starting, then the recalibration shouldn’t be the problem. However, if you did mess with the throttle or started the bike before the 4 second recalibration procedure was finished it won’t throw a code and could run poorly until you shut and restart and wait for the recalibration to complete.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
As long as you don’t move the throttle and wait 4 seconds before starting, then the recalibration shouldn’t be the problem. However, if you did mess with the throttle or started the bike before the 4 second recalibration procedure was finished it won’t throw a code and could run poorly until you shut and restart and wait for the recalibration to complete.
I don't move the throttle and wait the required time. The bike runs PROPERLY after I restart.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
I don't move the throttle and wait the required time. The bike runs PROPERLY after I restart.
sounds more and more like the bike is maybe starting up in limp-home-mode, until a out of range sensor warms up. then the restart recal lets it run normal when warm.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts