Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 night rod special that stalls at lights when warm....no error codes displayed when this happens...have researched this till blue in the face...with no real solutions offered....any thoughts?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 07 night rod special that stalls at lights when warm....no error codes displayed when this happens...have researched this till blue in the face...with no real solutions offered....any thoughts?
Hmmm, tender loving care for DX's.

Seriously though, what happens? Do the revs just drop or?
Have you made any mods?

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
I don't know if you have this issue, but, mine started doing the same thing. I ended up having to replace the rear breather tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mods include a K&N air filter kit and a 2 into 1 Cary Faas exhaust, dynotuned with a SERT. Bike runs great at speed, but dies at lights or runs at 900 rpms (too low). Had to the dealer and since there is no error codes associated with it, they gave up. They said they did a complete check but could find nothing wrong. In desperatation I added some fuel injector cleaner and rode trouble free for 50 miles after that...that's all the data I have right now....saw this was an issue but there is a host of solutions people have found....if it does it again, back in it goes, but need to give the dealer better guidance on what to look for.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
dynotuned with a SERT. runs great at speed, dies at lights or runs at 900 rpms (too low). added some fuel injector cleaner and rode trouble free for 50 miles
Odd? if it were a vac leak I would think it would run at a higher idle, not a lower (to low) idle. the breather hoses do not have any vac on them at all, they would just leak oil all over. a dirty or slow IAC could do this. when it goes from a closed high rpm state (riding) to an open stepped state (stopped at a light) if it can not open fast enough or gets stuck to long, it would die. but the fuel cleaner in the tank should not have made it work for now. a shot down the IAC maybe, but not just in the tank. could be running way to rich from the dyno. most Dyno tuners set it up WAY to rich like a drag bike, not a street bike), so it could be loading up the plugs? (and the fuel cleaner works for this for a bit) or could be oil fouling from the crank case breather system draining into the IAC inlet. my bike would build up oil in the inlet of the IAC, and when I would stop at a light the IAC would pop open and the oil would kill the engine.
I changed the breather system and this went away.

when it is not running right, have you tried in neutral, to hold the throttle at say 3000 or 4000rpm, then just let it go, to snap back to idle and see if it dies? to see if the IAC is working fast enough?

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
What's the history? Did this start when you added the mods?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually now that I think of it....this did start after the mods,, ran it yesterday, no stalls but a choppy idle at 1000 rpms....when I turn the bike off and restart, idles perfect until I get to the next light.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Idle Air Controller.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
The IAC controls idle speed. Get yourself a can of Throttle Body cleaner, remove the air box, top and bottom, and clean out all the gunk around the IAC. Use a tooth brush, Q-Tips, paint brush or whatever you can get in the throttle body area of the AIC. There is a small Pintle operated by the AIC that gets gummy. It sticks out between the two intake holes of the throttle body. Clean it up real good then try again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rusty,

My dad just gave me the same advice....though he suggests just spraying the crap out of it, and leave the brushing out....does anybody have a picture of where I should be spraying?....I am just not a very good mechanic....thanks for the advice though...

·
Mater Distiller
1,440 Posts
I don't know if you have this issue, but, mine started doing the same thing. I ended up having to replace the rear breather tube.
I replaced my original breather hose with some hose from the auto parts store

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
May 23, 2009 – Opened air box and sprayed throttle body cleaner into intakes and breather pindle. Removed rear breather tube and looked dry rotted. Went to Harley dealer to buy new rear breather tube, and they did not have one in stock. They said that that would not correct the low idle problem anyway. Dry rotted tube still had no leak, so I replaced everything back and restarted bike. Bike now is idling at 1800 rpms. When bike starts, starts out at 1200 rpm’s but within a few seconds creeps up to 1800. Took bike back to Harley Davidson dealer. They are still scratching their heads. They will be dealing with it next week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Harley dealer called me and said they have the high rpm issue resolved. Something about the cable and where it attaches on the handlebars...don't know exactly but they fixed it. They wanted to keep the bike an extra week to see if they could get it to hot stall, they thought the issue may be associated with what they fixed on the high idle issue. So they've had the bike about 10 days now. Thank god I have another bike (Aprilia RSV1000R).

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, picked up bike last night. Here is the work description "Hooked bike to digital tech, no codes found or present, Bike was idling at 2000 rpm. Throttle cable was hanging up in housing. Trimmed throttle grip and lubed cables. It may have not been returning all the way. Removed airbox and inspected the throttle linkages, cable routing, and electrical connections. Replaced breather tube. Idle was normal (1,100 Rpm) after reassembly of airbox. Test rode bike. Bike idles at 1100 rpm now when hot. Ran bike through system diagnostics again. Test rode again. Customer requested we keep bike and do extra test riding. Test rode bike several times after that and could not duplicate high idle or any stalling....bike runs great."

so bike is in garage, ran fine home last night....will ride this weekend. Will continue to document issue via this forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rode bike last weekend 120 miles....no issues whatsoever....will only post again if the issue resurfaces...thanks folks for the help.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts