Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so I just picked up a 07 night rod. Always have loved these bikes. Only problem I’m having is with the handle bars. Took it for a 6 hour ride and not gonna lie my shoulders were killing me. It’s just that drag bar straight arms locked is very uncomfortable for long distance. I was considering putting ape hangers on it. Maybe 14s. My thought Is they would pull back and and sit me more upright and have a flex in the arm. Personally I think they Look badass on a vrod. I was seeing what all is involved with installing them? I called a few bike shops and one place said they won’t do it cause the clamps ? The other one said they never tried so I’m imagining it would be kinda expensive. I’ve done ape hangers on my Electra glide but I’m unsure with attempting on this bike.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,184 Posts
I have the same bike. Bike has been in the family since '07 but I just started riding it this year. I hated the bars also. I have 14" bars on my Road Glide but, unlike you, don't like how that looks on V-Rods.

So after looking at all the bars I could look at, just decided to go with the HD reduced reach bars. Seemed easiest route because I could buy the brake cables from HD and I know they will fit. Also, they were $80 and the brake lines were $90 (new castle HD). I saw lots of other bars I liked from $350 to $800 but then didn't know what to do about brake lines and clutch lines. Also, all the wiring would have to be extended with apes. With the reduced reach, wires were good, and clutch line was good.

If you want to change the bars, it is a 1" clamp at the riser. But there are companies out there that make bars just for the DX and instrument cluster.

So for me, very happy. They look good, I push them back a bit so they are raised up - shoulders and hands about level, and I added heated grips. Went for a 5 mile ride yesterday and it was great. Very comfy. I think I could ride all day like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same bike. Bike has been in the family since '07 but I just started riding it this year. I hated the bars also. I have 14" bars on my Road Glide but, unlike you, don't like how that looks on V-Rods.

So after looking at all the bars I could look at, just decided to go with the HD reduced reach bars. Seemed easiest route because I could buy the brake cables from HD and I know they will fit. Also, they were $80 and the brake lines were $90 (new castle HD). I saw lots of other bars I liked from $350 to $800 but then didn't know what to do about brake lines and clutch lines. Also, all the wiring would have to be extended with apes. With the reduced reach, wires were good, and clutch line was good.

If you want to change the bars, it is a 1" clamp at the riser. But there are companies out there that make bars just for the DX and instrument cluster.

So for me, very happy. They look good, I push them back a bit so they are raised up - shoulders and hands about level, and I added heated grips. Went for a 5 mile ride yesterday and it was great. Very comfy. I think I could ride all day like this.
Thank you very much for your response I will look into those bars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey everyone so I just picked up a 07 night rod. Always have loved these bikes. Only problem I’m having is with the handle bars. Took it for a 6 hour ride and not gonna lie my shoulders were killing me. It’s just that drag bar straight arms locked is very uncomfortable for long distance. I was considering putting ape hangers on it. Maybe 14s. My thought Is they would pull back and and sit me more upright and have a flex in the arm. Personally I think they Look badass on a vrod. I was seeing what all is involved with installing them? I called a few bike shops and one place said they won’t do it cause the clamps ? The other one said they never tried so I’m imagining it would be kinda expensive. I’ve done ape hangers on my Electra glide but I’m unsure with attempting on this bike.
You
Thank you very much for your response I will look into those bars.
I installed a set of 12" CHUBBS outlaw apes. The center fit perfectly in the riser. You'll need throttle cables longer ( the height of your apes). MAGNUM SHIELDING is the place for throttle cables. The clutch hydraulic cable I installed is 103" inches long. This hose came from MAGNUM SHIELDING also.. I took the stock handlebars off, leaving the controls, external wiring and harnesses, intact. Then I took them to an independent bike shop, they cut the ends off, spliced an additional length, and pulled them thru the new CHUBBS bars, spliced the ends to the factory connectors leaving 14 " length to easily reconnect to the original connectors. Brake line was customized with a Russell brake line, taken to the brake / hose vendor locally and he brazed my ends to fit modeled after the stock lines. My forward controls, running boards, replaced my mid control setup. Progressive suspension upgrade, 240 wheel mod, spoke wheel and 5 gallon (4.8) upgrade. 36,000 miles, bike runs great, comfortable on long trips, Im happy.

Attachments

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,184 Posts
Is that the Rifle windshield?
Been thinking about getting a Rifle but takes 6 weeks. Will probably wait until next year since it takes 6 weeks. Rifle is the only company I can find that makes a windshield that goes around the headlight bezel (since HDs is discontinued).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts