Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have an 07 DX with Supertrapp slip ons. Considering swapping to a 2 into 1 for a few reasons.

1. I've always heard 2 into 1 offers the most performance.

2. I really like the snappier "bark" sound the 2 into 1s give. Supertrapp sounds nice when really getting on it but otherwise dont have enough thud for my liking.

3. One of the tabs for the heat shield bolts broke off so one is missing with no real way to fix it. Not only does this look bad but allows the heat shield to rattle. I hate the metallic clanging sound. It's almost impossible to find a good shape stock header to replace this with. And at that point I figure might as well just swap to a full system anyways for the other two reasons listed above.

My questions are what 2into1 do you guys recommend the most? And what can actually still be bought?? It seems like the Bassani's are the only brand out there being sold anymore.

Thanks!

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,184 Posts
Reactions: Trent Y

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is this:
AKRAPOVIC S-HDRODR1-BAVTBL OPEN LINE V-Rod BLACK FULL EXHAUST
and
I don't think the Akra will fit the 07. Not sure I would go that route anyways though since I really want to stay blacked out. And obviously that's the same problem for that D&D.

Thanks though!

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I've recently changed from the same system you have, mostly for weight saving which in this case is 26lbs since the traps are a bit lighter then the stock mufflers. Akro seems to perform well and it , with stock baffle can be quite loud, louder then what you have now. I run the db killer baffle that puts the sound level similar to the traps with 12 discs and closed end caps. A touch louder when you get on it and a tad quieter when cruising. Most of the 2-1 out there are of poor design as in leg clearance or right hand turn clearance and extremely loud if you plan on cruising a lot. One example is the V&H pro pipe. I wouldn't own one of those damn things unless it's a track bike. Choose wisely as many have regretted their choices after a while. I'd say look for a pipe that places the outlet a bit further back, then right under your ear. That can make a big difference, even on a loud pipe, at least for the rider. Guys behind you, well they will still bitch.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
The Akro can't hold a candle to the power the Bassani B2 makes - Akro is lighter but with a more restricted muffler, and almost a side exit compared to the longer Bassani - D&D makes decent power but header and muffler section doesn't look as good or even sound as good as the Bassani - Guess you know which one I'd buy ! ( I've got an out of production Bub7 on my R Model BTW - )

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,184 Posts
The exhausts all fit. It is the exhaust brackets that may differ. I have exhaust that is not for my model, had to make an exhaust bracket. Here is black D&D.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,184 Posts
I have D&D and my daughter's BFF has Bassini. I think my exhaust sounds better. But it is all personal taste.

My fave was when I had my '06 SE2. I had a spinner muffler on that bike. But those are quite expensive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've recently changed from the same system you have, mostly for weight saving which in this case is 26lbs since the traps are a bit lighter then the stock mufflers. Akro seems to perform well and it , with stock baffle can be quite loud, louder then what you have now. I run the db killer baffle that puts the sound level similar to the traps with 12 discs and closed end caps. A touch louder when you get on it and a tad quieter when cruising. Most of the 2-1 out there are of poor design as in leg clearance or right hand turn clearance and extremely loud if you plan on cruising a lot. One example is the V&H pro pipe. I wouldn't own one of those damn things unless it's a track bike. Choose wisely as many have regretted their choices after a while. I'd say look for a pipe that places the outlet a bit further back, then right under your ear. That can make a big difference, even on a loud pipe, at least for the rider. Guys behind you, well they will still bitch.
Ron
I've heard that about the V&H.

I do some mountain riding from time to time so I am a little concerned about scraping, which I know can be an issue with almost all of the 2-1s aside from the Akra.

I just really want more bark and rumble. My aunt had an 05 screaming eagle with Thunderheaders. I fell in love with that sound. Virtually none of that stock whistle/wine that slip ons still have. But I haven't been able to even find Thunderheaders for the DX.

Seems like the options are slim to none anymore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have D&D and my daughter's BFF has Bassini. I think my exhaust sounds better. But it is all personal taste.

My fave was when I had my '06 SE2. I had a spinner muffler on that bike. But those are quite expensive.
How are the D&D and Bassani's for lean angle?

·
Registered
224 Posts
My '13 DX had a set of V&H Blk Widows which were swapped out for a CFR slip-on. The guys I ride with love the sound but ask me to ride at the back of the line cause it's too loud for them:) (I prefer to ride at the back).
I may be biased but the CFR is the best sounding slip-on and scrubbed off a lot of weight. I've touched the rear of the pipe a few times making a right on a dip in the road. I corrected the problem by raising the pipe with a 3/4" spacer at the bracket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My '13 DX had a set of V&H Blk Widows which were swapped out for a CFR slip-on. The guys I ride with love the sound but ask me to ride at the back of the line cause it's too loud for them:) (I prefer to ride at the back).
I may be biased but the CFR is the best sounding slip-on and scrubbed off a lot of weight. I've touched the rear of the pipe a few times making a right on a dip in the road. I corrected the problem by raising the pipe with a 3/4" spacer at the bracket.
I was under the impression that the CFR was a full system... It's a slip on?? That's interesting. I like the idea of that spacer too!

Can they still be purchased anywhere? And I'm not sure of any differences between an 07 and 13 for fitment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My buddy has a '08 DX with a CFR slip-on. He had no issues installing his.
I had to cut a piece of the header pipe on my '13 DX to make my CFR slip on. I bought mine BNIB for $300CDN at a Bike shop that wanted to clear old stock.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,184 Posts
How are the D&D and Bassani's for lean angle?
I actually don't like the upswept angle so I have a custom bracket and my D&D are level. I have scraped. It is on the bottom so you can't see the scrape but it has happened. Not sure about the Bassani pipe.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
The Bassani Road Rage 2 B1 ( not B2, sorry - but yes, named after the B1 jet ) sit up quite a bit higher - google it and check out the mounted position and the sound on Bassani and other web sites. I don't think anyone will ever scrape it with standard suspension unless you lay the bike down. Really nice sound without having that obnoxious open empty pipe sound like the CFR's are super loud from what I've heard - that's why I like the longer Bassani it's got a better rear cylinder pipe shape, higher performance 2-1 collector, better looking longer muffler with fluted end caps, better coating - if it would fit my R with mid pegs I'd buy one already. Don't forget the stock pipe you have Trent Y is a 2-1 into 2 muffler design and with your Supertrapp mufflers you've already lost a lot of weight. You could weld the heat shield tab back on there, add a few more discs or a set of open end caps and tune the sound and power. What you have is actually a damn good system that flows very well believe it or not, and puts the sound out farther back - away from your right ear, which is great. You could ask my right ear but it probably wouldn't hear you because of prior damage from many short rt. side racing mufflers. 😫

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Bassani Road Rage 2 B1 ( not B2, sorry - but yes, named after the B1 jet ) sit up quite a bit higher - google it and check out the mounted position and the sound on Bassani and other web sites. I don't think anyone will ever scrape it with standard suspension unless you lay the bike down. Really nice sound without having that obnoxious open empty pipe sound like the CFR's are super loud from what I've heard - that's why I like the longer Bassani it's got a better rear cylinder pipe shape, higher performance 2-1 collector, better looking longer muffler with fluted end caps, better coating - if it would fit my R with mid pegs I'd buy one already. Don't forget the stock pipe you have Trent Y is a 2-1 into 2 muffler design and with your Supertrapp mufflers you've already lost a lot of weight. You could weld the heat shield tab back on there, add a few more discs or a set of open end caps and tune the sound and power. What you have is actually a damn good system that flows very well believe it or not, and puts the sound out farther back - away from your right ear, which is great. You could ask my right ear but it probably wouldn't hear you because of prior damage from many short rt. side racing mufflers. 😫
All good points. Believe me I've fought with this decision plenty of times before. Im running 12 disks on the trapps right now with a closed cap and a really solid tune. I'm sure I wouldn't be getting much more performance by switching to 2-1 (telling myself I would helps justify the purchase) but I just can't replicate that sound with a slip on!

I also don't have the heat shield tab unfortunately but have thought about asking someone to make a small tack weld so that it doesn't rattle so much. Decisions decisions.

Good to hear that the Bassani is a nice pipe though since that's pretty much all that's easily accessible to buy.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
kntdrv - come on Man - the Bassani RR2 B1 - it ain't a kitten ! ? , I mean REALLY ? it's more like a big bad A$$ backyard dog - the CFR is more like an open pipe, unmuffled rt ear splitting " Lion " ? Yea, Ok so you can blow out your rt eardrum while you try to short shift it to keep from blowing out your rt. eardrum - if you can't rev it to 8999 Rpm without earplugs and without destroying your right eardrum to me - it's just a shit show. IMHO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Like streetrodracer posted....it is highly recommended to wear ear plugs with the CFR pipe on extended rides even with a full face helmet! All part of my kit.

I don't know how my buddy rides his '08DX/CFR pipe with a half helmet and no plugs! Too many Metallica concerts back in his days probably.....

Btw...the Bassani's sound great too. I was just having fun with you.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
The Bub7 2-1 pipe I put on my R Model ( Bub made the Rinehart also ) was obnoxiously loud and required earplugs when I installed it, couple reasons - the head pipes are 1 3/4" all the way to the collector not 1 7/8" or 2" stepped up so smaller than the stock pipe which increases pressure and the frequency of the exiting exhaust gases so " ear splitting ". Up side is better low and mid power while still bumping up high Rpm powe,r bad side I wore earplugs ( after hearing damage ) racing off road and now I want to hear Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc. with a back round of Revolution exhaust music - not ear splittingly loud. As I've said here I lengthened the pipe with a 4" dia BMW SS C/F exhaust tip with a 3.3 " I.D. which allows the gasses to expand and lower the frequency and db level - length ends at the rear axle, pretty ideal fairly quiet cruising really barks when you get on it, never scrapes. It's not easy to tame a Lion ! (y) :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts