Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

07-08 Fuel Gauge Poll

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were trying to find out what the guages are doing here.

This is a long poll to try to offer numerous choices.

You can also post any additional information you noted below.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I had to give the dealer print-outs from this forum as I quote " We never had this issue with the gas gauge before you".

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Should have had an option something like "my bike has done less than 4000 miles". Mine's done about 2K with no problem, but I haven't clicked 'cos I think that's useless information - the problem takes a while to surface it seems.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Louis said:
Should have had an option something like "my bike has done less than 4000 miles". Mine's done about 2K with no problem, but I haven't clicked 'cos I think that's useless information - the problem takes a while to surface it seems.
Good point but that is why we still have the post option to give more detailed data. I still would click the no issue even if you have 2k miles and then they can read that you only have that number of miles and figure that in.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i have an '06 D with close to 10K on it and for the most part my gauge has been accurate. every now and then it will wig when i first start it..maybe once every couple of months..but by the time i'm rolling it fixes itself. i still just use the trip to be safe but i must be a lucky one, cuz my gauge actually tells me how much gas i have left.

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
Gauge issue

I was coming off a steep bridge yesterday with my '07Aw, as I transitioned from the bridge to the highway I rolled over a ridge in the road the the gauge started to rapidly increase. I know that I had about 2 gallons left based on the distance I traveled. I stopped at my exit and refilled. The rest of the day, which was about another 125 miles, was uneventful. I've got 3800 miles on the bike. One other occasion, it read erroneously when I started it while it was resting on the jiffy stand. I'm wondering if I've got a real problem or just an anomoly..........any ideas anyone????

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
salieri said:
i have an '06 D with close to 10K on it and for the most part my gauge has been accurate. every now and then it will wig when i first start it..maybe once every couple of months..but by the time i'm rolling it fixes itself. i still just use the trip to be safe but i must be a lucky one, cuz my gauge actually tells me how much gas i have left.
Yeah, but that's a completely different electro-mechanical system - the O7s have an ultrasonic system that for some reason seems to pack up between 1500-3000 miles and can't be fixed even with new parts.

As someone has posted, the most likely reason seems to be that fuel is not getting in / out of the tube the sensor is measuring. I assume there is a deliberate restriction there to stop the reading fluctuating violently, and that restriction is gunging up. However, since mine still works I'm not going to take it apart to look.

·
Banned
405 Posts
08 Anniversary nearly 700 miles no problems so far

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Louis said:
As someone has posted, the most likely reason seems to be that fuel is not getting in / out of the tube the sensor is measuring. I assume there is a deliberate restriction there to stop the reading fluctuating violently, and that restriction is gunging up. However, since mine still works I'm not going to take it apart to look.
I agree the tube may be an issue, however it only takes a reading from the sender once every ten minutes. I was surprised when i found out that it did it that way. I think the check in time period has more to do with stopping gauge movement as you mention. It may even be the check in time causing some of the issue. Keep in mind if your at hard throttle when it checks in. Or your slowing down hard when it checks in. Both could cause it to read way off and it would continue to malfunction or read wrong for ten minutes.

·
puk! puk! puk!
288 Posts
My x has had a fuel gauge problem since day 1.
It never reads right.
It will go from full to a 1/2 tank sitting at a stop light, or go from 1/4 to full, or just whatever it decides to show.
I'll fill up and it will show empty or 1/2 or full but then change as I pull out of the gas station.
I always reset the trip meter after filling up.

·
Registered
683 Posts
superchicken said:
My x has had a fuel gauge problem since day 1.
It never reads right.
It will go from full to a 1/2 tank sitting at a stop light, or go from 1/4 to full, or just whatever it decides to show.
I'll fill up and it will show empty or 1/2 or full but then change as I pull out of the gas station.
I always reset the trip meter after filling up.
:plause: :plause:

:them: :them:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Have 5,000 miles on my 07, only had a problem one day recently and so checked no problems on the poll. The problem was that I had less than 1/4 tank, was reading ok, then jumped to read 3/4 full. Was during a short ride home from work, been ok since.

Still, this one problem was enough to get me into using the odometer to monitor fuel level.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
07 VRSCD:

-Gauge reads normally on started at the beginning of every day.
-Sometime between 10-30 miles it will jump to "FULL" and stay there.
-If bike is turned off and sits for about two hours, gauge will read normal until ridden for 10-30 miles again, at which point it will jump to "FULL" again.
-Initially thought it was temperature related but it happens at all temps.
-Gas cap has no effect.
-Started at 1000 miles.
-Bike now has 3000 miles. Happens every time the bike is ridden.
-Bike was absolutely stock with no mods when problem started, and now has PCIII and baffles removed.

-I wanted to add that the gauge *always* goes to the same level when the malfunction happens (needle pegged FULL). It is not different each time.

07 VRSCDX

-Worked flawlessly for 4800 miles.
-Within 3 miles of riding on a cold morning, gauge jumped from "1/4" to almost full "7/8" and stayed there.
-After sitting for a work shift, was back to normal.
-Now exhibits this behavior about 50% of the time the bike is ridden. Once it happens it will not recover until parked for a period of time, but it is not happening every ride like the VRSCD.
-Gas cap has no effect.
-Bike has PCIII and baffles removed.

-I want to add that the gauge *always* goes to the same level (exactly 7/8). It is not different each time.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Max said:
I agree the tube may be an issue, however it only takes a reading from the sender once every ten minutes. I was surprised when i found out that it did it that way. I think the check in time period has more to do with stopping gauge movement as you mention. It may even be the check in time causing some of the issue. Keep in mind if your at hard throttle when it checks in. Or your slowing down hard when it checks in. Both could cause it to read way off and it would continue to malfunction or read wrong for ten minutes.
Something sounds odd here, and I will be the first to admit I am not an HD expert, or any motorcycle for that matter.

If the polling rate is once every ten minutes (seems huge!), then why have a small bleed down orifice on the sensor tube? The poll would take an instantaneous read, and ignore variance I would think.

Seems like the small bleed orifice would create the same desired hysteresis in the measuring loop. What am I missing?

By the way, mine still works fine on my Feb. '07 production DX.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got my '08. Dealer says he filled it, gauge read full. Dropped to 3/4 and I put in 2 gall approx, and when started, read full. It appears to me to working properly. Will keep you posted.

-Paul

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Mine adds milage left,sometimes,while the gauge is acting up.Temperature or the time of day doesn't seem to make a difference.
When it is not acting up,the gauge is acurate and so are the miles left.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've had my 07 D for two months now and it is totaly screwed up, it is never right. It worked good up to aroung 1600 miles I now have 3600 and don't even look at the gage just go by mileage. Dealership wants to keep my bike for four days to fix. It can wait.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
maybe one of the few but after 6.000 miles mine's still working excellent (no fluctuations) and it's accurate too (what you see is what it is)

maybe it's just coincidence but i do 2 things as a rule when filling up :

1. before each filling i ALWAYS turn ignition switch to OFF hence the needle will drop to zero, maybe this acts like a 'hard reset' in some way ?

2. after each filling i ALWAYS wiggle the bike (resting on stand) a bit; it amazed me from day 1 how much air is being trapped when filling up (even when filling at rather slow rate); wiggling it a few times releases that air + allows for putting at least 1/4 gallon more in it

maybe the trapped air, when not evacuated properly before you screw the cap back on (and start riding again), somehow influences the measuring device and/or process ? e.g. i can imagine that a fully filled gas tank without any trapped air inside would show different vapor pressures/density compared to one that 'appears' to be full (topping off without the wiggling) but where air is trapped inside that will only be released as soon as the bikes moves and when fuel level goes down ? add temperature variations (sunlight or whatever heat radiation source) to that and again pressures/densities will fluctuate

not a theory, just a thought... but as i said, could be coincidence but still flawless after 6.000 miles

grtz

·
Registered
50 Posts
From time to time the gauge on my 07 AW goes to full. It's rare but it happens.

Now, one day that the needle was up to full (tank was actually 1/4 full), I took a VERY bumpy road. The kind of road where you don't want to be above 20 MPH. Well guess what: the gauge went back to normal reading.

The next time the gauge started to act up I stopped and shaked the bike, of course I couldn't put has much vibration as what the bike had to face on the bumpy road and the needle stayed stuck at full.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts