Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to hear if this happens with a healthy engine, bike has 1,400 mi. oil changed at 1K, synth oil used in the change. never noticed before,just since the 1K service. but at startup, it puffs some smoke from both muffs, just for 5-7 seconds, and only if its been sitting for hours, or over night. wont do it at any other time.Oil level is ,and has been fine, It isnt coolant, dissipates quickly, and doesnt smell sweet, or vapory. Any thoughts? experiences to share? thanks, Geezer.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04vrscb said:
what color is the smoke?
Hard to say, its not the really white clingy vapor from coolant, lingers a bit, but not long. could even be water vapor,, not sure. not obviously blue, more grey.wish I could describe it better.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
What synthetic oil did you go with? Most likely just moisture from the exhaust. You should be able to use your nose and tell the difference in coolant, oil or condensation.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It smells like exhaust, not strongly of oil. not like a 2 stroke, (compared it with my daughters stella scooter) The invoice shows the oil as "syn3/chrome". Chrome for the filter I guess,It didnt puff yesterday, havnt looked today. it could well be moisture, its been hugely humid here in Milwaukee lately,though drier yesterday.I'm concerned because I'm going on a trip to S. Dakota soon, and dont want to have problem while out. I really appreciate the help too! Thanks, Geezer

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much. More than likely just condensation build up in the exhaust!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to agree, the oil level hasnt changed, the coolant level is right on, perhaps i have a late bloomer in seating the rings, though after 1400 mi. that should have happened. (its probably all of the fire n' speed waiting to get out)

·
Scott
492 Posts
But you said it lingers...that means an actual substance in the smoke. Not water...that evaporates to quickly for it to linger. Where did you get your gas that week?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same as always, a BP station nearby, but that doesnt mean something isnt in the fuel, it needs a fill anyway, so i'll try a different place and see if that changes anything.Thanks, didnt think of that one,,,Edit: Just a thought, before the 1 K service the bike was stalling in tight right turns, one stall threw me over, and the bike went down thankfully very slowly (those hours in the gym do pay off.) there may be some oil in the airbox, so I will have a look, and let you know what I find.

Edit: update, No oil in the airbox, nice and shiney clean. fuel from different station in the tank, smoke barely noticable today. An odd bike to be sure.So far, so good, we'll see when I head over to Deadwood this month.

·
Nucking Futs
1,109 Posts
While you're riding around trying different fuels, you should at least cruise the engine in the 4000rpm or up territory for 20-30 min to ensure you burn off whatever condensation may be in the engine. Too many short trips where the engine never fully warms up will cause you to experience some puffs on startup.:2cents:

---

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bmeister said:
While you're riding around trying different fuels, you should at least cruise the engine in the 4000rpm or up territory for 20-30 min to ensure you burn off whatever condensation may be in the engine. Too many short trips where the engine never fully warms up will cause you to experience some puffs on startup.:2cents:

---
Thanks, had not considered that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i rode the thing down to Kentucky, and it still puffed, and lost 8 oz. of oil going back home. no obvious leaks, no lights came on, so it has an appt. W/ the dealer weds. so we'll see .

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Geezer 55 said:
Well, i rode the thing down to Kentucky, and it still puffed, and lost 8 oz. of oil going back home. no obvious leaks, no lights came on, so it has an appt. W/ the dealer weds. so we'll see .

Keep us posted

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just spoke to the service writer, he said that they had to contact the MoCo for help, it seems according to the Oracle on Capitol Drive, that my engine has not yet broken in. that there has been an increase in the number of engines having this problem, due to use of syn-3, and as the man put it, sissy break-in practices, sometimes 3-4K miles are needed to seat everything. I may be guilty on that count, as my experience is limited to iron jugged shovelheads. (I rebuilt my FLH 10 yrs ago, and it is still smoke free.)
the remedy, is run it hard, high revs, don't be shy about pushing it. If the problem continues, at the next check -up, 5K, they will re-do the top end.
And, while they have it, the heat shield will be replaced. (safety recall. )

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The MoCo stated that the engine was not broken in yet, that I would need to be more agressive in seating the rings, I feel dumb running on the expressway in 3rd gear,,,, (I thought that 900 mi of 65-75 mph down to Ky. would have done it.) Perhaps the dealers should not recommend switching to synthoil at the 1K service.
The new heat shield is not ugly, but not very stylish either,,,

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I would also change brands of oil on next service either Amzoil or Mobil 1 V-twin oil. I had changed to mobil1 at 250 miles never burned any oil after 500 miles of running hard.
I had my bike serviced at 1200 miles (1k service) After the dealer serviced w/syn 3 went through a quart in 450 miles. Went back to mobil 1 and no more oil consumption:soapbox:

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
heat shield

Sorry I don't have any thoughts on the smoke. The v-rod guru at the local dealer liked my header wrap under the stock shields better and recomended not doing the recall. Ceramic coating would be a good alt as well. I was going broke buying new pants after my exhaust torched the legs.
Good luck

·
Registered
616 Posts
Bmeister said:

---
No doubt about that. Since I dont ride my bike every day I wont even start it unless Im going to ride it for 20+ miles. Just notice at a stop light how many vehicles have water dripping from the tail pipe. Gotta get it hot enough to get rid of the condensation.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Geezer 55 said:
The MoCo stated that the engine was not broken in yet, that I would need to be more agressive in seating the rings, I feel dumb running on the expressway in 3rd gear,,,, (I thought that 900 mi of 65-75 mph down to Ky. would have done it.) Perhaps the dealers should not recommend switching to synthoil at the 1K service.
The new heat shield is not ugly, but not very stylish either,,,
I do not feel it is a consistent high RPM that does it (expressway in 3rd) but hard acceleration and deceleration. Find a large hill that you can use to engine brake down a few times and give it some WOT to get to speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts