Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 vrscr and it went all the way down to the E today with the digital gage reading r low... assuming the r is for reserve. Before it read low it said 19m which I'm assume was 19 miles left before empty. But that 19m disappeared in only 4 miles of driving and went to the low. To the point though after was to the very E for empty.. I put 3 gallons in only and was completely full on gage and could see in the tank was to the top full. What gives if a 5 gallon tank?

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Welcome to the R hidden fuel mystery ! You should celebrate you're gauge working that well compared to older V Rods :ROFLMAO: I usually fill up when needle goes red or the low light comes on or soon after and put about 3.2 -3.5 gallons in there, I just filled mine up Sat 3.218 gal almost exactly when the low fuel light came on so yes there was about 1.25 gallons left to burn while leaving a half gallon emergency fuel in the tank. So about 40 miles range remaining after the low fuel light comes on would be available. I always use the trip meter to predict fuel, get about 100-110 miles before low light comes on then maybe another 10 miles or so to stop & fill up, so 120 mile range with a half gallon plus remaining. If you wanted to get scientific you could check mileage at the low fuel light and add another 40 miles then fill up. Wouldn't push it much further than that since pushing a 650 lb M/C 2 miles+ sucks and is very dangerous. Don't pay attention to miles remaining B/S that's all H-D's voodoo numbers. (y):cool:

·
I Hate Stupid People
749 Posts
Mine works the same way with 1 exception lately.. Running fine, the gauge went to the 1/4 tank. That's when I usually fill it & trip meter was about 110 miles. Decided to just keep riding because i know i have plenty of fuel.. I'll be dambed if the damb fuel gauge needle has been moving up past 1/2 a tank with the fuel light still on. I said to myself fine so I pushed it even further to 140 miles... the gauge moved to 1/2 a tank then 10 miles later slammed down to Empty.. Only took 4 gallons to fill.... Ya I get about 35 mpg on the highway.. 25 City & the hills... 😎

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 06 vrscr and it went all the way down to the E today with the digital gage reading r low... assuming the r is for reserve. Before it read low it said 19m which I'm assume was 19 miles left before empty. But that 19m disappeared in only 4 miles of driving and went to the low. To the point though after was to the very E for empty.. I put 3 gallons in only and was completely full on gage and could see in the tank was to the top full. What gives if a 5 gallon tank?
Don’t trust the gauge on a V-rod and don’t try to have it repaired.Just use the trip meter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts