Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got my Vrod a couple months ago... thought I never would own a harley, but I really love my Vrod. But being a kid at heart, really want to make some changes over the winter.

I would like to go wide with it, I've seen some threads about 240, 280 conversions. Problem is, I've never worked on a bike and want to make sure I don't piss $$$ down my leg messing something up. With all the different versions of Vrod, I'm not sure which thread speaks commonly of which ones etc.?

Also looking to switch to the 5 gal tank conversion and I'm thinking doing both at the same time would make sense.

So first how big can I go? How much will this potentially cost start to finish? Budget is always a concern (I fab racecars, restored a '68 camaro, so I'm capable of doing alot of work, just need to learn the bike thing)

Anyone that wants to assist pointing me in the correct direction for an '06 VRSCA feel free :)

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
If you can fab race cars and work on your own car, the v rod should be easy for you. Use the search function, there is a ton of different ways you can get this done.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:them:
there's quite a few "bolt" on 300 wide tire kits, but more cost effective to have your existing swingarm widened BY SOMEONE THAT KNOWS...
Seriously do a search though, too much info and threads regarding this topic....

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
You can go with a 240 or 250 in the stock swingarm with minor modification to the swingarm. If you go with the UE tank you won't have any issues with rubbing at the top or bottom of the wheel travel with any available 240 or 250 tire.

If you want to go wider, I'd consider one of the custom swingarms that are available. They are set up to accomodate the wider wheels, then the sky's the limit.

In my opinion, a 250 under the stock narrow fender looks awesome! And still handles decent.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I build cars on the side also...right now I have a 00 ls1 camaro making 500rwhp on motor...the bike is a walk in the park compared to the car...I've been building cars for about 22 years now ( since I was 11 with my grandpa) so far I've had my bike almost completely apart and have done 2 diff 240 swaps on my 06 vrsca..walk in the park...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have confidence I can handle it without an issue. My concern comes in with with reading other peoples projects whether their part lists etc. will work on my project and knowing the cross over of parts etc. from year to year and model to model. Without the backround knowledge of all the different types of Vrods is where my confusion comes in.

I guess just need to search out the '06 conversions?

for those that are interested in seeing what I have been up to outside of bike stuff, this is some of my prior interests and fab work.
http://community.webshots.com/user/sjakes

I'll also attach a few photos as well as I posted them in my gallery if chasing links isn't your thing.

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
In my opinion, a 250 under the stock narrow fender looks awesome! And still handles decent.
Bonketi has a 250 Avon under his stock 180 fender on his SE and I 'bout cream my jeans every time I see the rear of that bike.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Check out my video link in my Sig and it will show you how to do alot of the take off and put back on to give you and ideal of whats involved.

good luck it is easy. if you need any help we are alll here to help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts