Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang, as you know my 05 was totaled in September, I've since purchased a 06 Nightrod... I bought my turbo back from the insurance company and I'm bout ready to start the "settlement" process... I'm hoping they will not do the usual bs...

So, I'm figuring I'll have 15k for the makeover... I've got a pretty good idea on what I want to do with this rebuild but, I'm open to suggestions...

I'm going to up the ponies and torque to approximately 200/145 ish hp/tq... So let me have it, if you was me what would you do to your V-Rod? Stay in the budget guys and gals :)...

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Turbo,paint, wheels. gas tank, new saddle. Then ride it alot! Joe

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Iron Bars, Flipped mirrors, DaulShifter(for Hwy Use of all that power) , Arnotts,Signal relocators frt/bck , Franklin airbox if you can find one,New HID harley headlight.

Of course these are all more comfort items but some things that might get over looked with your big build that you have going on.

GoodLuck and keep us updated if with pics if you could.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
I'm going to up the ponies and torque to approximately 200/145 ish hp/tq... So let me have it, if you was me what would you do to your V-Rod? Stay in the budget guys and gals :)...
Might want to look at HORSEPOWERS race version supercharger... :D

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
You gotta go with the Ceriani front end. Take the motor apart and put some extra strength parts in it to handle the ponies. Maybe bore to 1250 while you're there. Pin the bearings and put a girdle on it. Might as well change the trans to the V & H second gear setup while it's open. Bolt the turbo on and turn up the boost!

Custom swing arm with a 260...custom wheels and PM brakes. Paint. 1 1/4" drag bar with the same gage setup you had on the '05. Probably gonna have to have a set of air shocks on there. Lots of tid bits that will come to mind as you work. Electric shifter, of course.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
LOL Tbones I was being a smart Azz about the VTEC (civic motor valvetiming) I agree beef up that bottom end and build a big bore....

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iron Bars, Flipped mirrors, DaulShifter(for Hwy Use of all that power) , Arnotts,Signal relocators frt/bck , Franklin airbox if you can find one,New HID harley headlight.

Of course these are all more comfort items but some things that might get over looked with your big build that you have going on.

GoodLuck and keep us updated if with pics if you could.
Thanks... Will do, I've already cleared my old albums out in preparation for the makeover :)... Of course, I haven't got the money in my hands yet, this could take awhile if the insurance company wants to screw with me but I can always put the turbo on and have fun until I do get the settlement I want :)... Good suggestions, thanks.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You gotta go with the Ceriani front end. Take the motor apart and put some extra strength parts in it to handle the ponies. Maybe bore to 1250 while you're there. Pin the bearings and put a girdle on it. Might as well change the trans to the V & H second gear setup while it's open. Bolt the turbo on and turn up the boost!

Custom swing arm with a 260...custom wheels and PM brakes. Paint. 1 14" drag bar with the same gage setup you had on the '05. Probably gonna have to have a set of air shocks on there. Lots of tid bits that will come to mind as you work. Electric shifter, of course.
Yup, the Cerani was already on my list :).... Thanks for the suggestions :)... You bout hit everything right on the head that I have on my list so far :)... Hey, great minds think alike :)....

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL Tbones I was being a smart Azz about the VTEC (civic motor valvetiming) I agree beef up that bottom end and build a big bore....
ROFLMA I never heard of that before, that's classic ahahahahahaha :)...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might want to look at HORSEPOWERS race version supercharger... :D
Thanks for the suggestion but for this makeover I'm going to stick with my turbo... I put a Pro-charger blower on my "bagger", I'm waiting to see if they come out with a kit for the Rod...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geez, come on folks, I thought I'd get more suggestions then this :(... Did I piss you guys off? :)...

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
T, I'd do a 3/8" stroke, drop compression to 10:1 or 9.5:1, turn up some boost. Be sure to include a larger fuel pump and some bigger injectors.
This should get you close to the 140/200 numbers you are looking for, if you have a 1250 motor.... Be sure to do the engine brace kit et al...

If you can find one, get a CFR Series 2 chrome swingarm ;)

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
T, I'd do a 3/8" stroke, drop compression to 10:1 or 9.5:1, turn up some boost. Be sure to include a larger fuel pump and some bigger injectors.
This should get you close to the 140/200 numbers you are looking for, if you have a 1250 motor.... Be sure to do the engine brace kit et al...

DAMN... I wish I could talk (and understand) THAT languague... ***sigh***, I guess I'll have to settle with English, Spanish, Italian a little French and "singing"....LOL! :chair:

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Good stuff, thanks... I'm still debating on whether to bore this puppy out to 1250 or not... I sent an email to Nick for some suggestions, still waiting on what he has to say before I make up my mind on the motor... I'm also debating on whether to add in a water/alcohol injection...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DAMN... I wish I could talk (and understand) THAT languague... ***sigh***, I guess I'll have to settle with English, Spanish, Italian a little French and "singing"....LOL! :chair:
LOL let me see if I can help you... Course you could be joking too :)... But, if your not he suggest a 3/8" stroke which means increasing the distance (3/8 of an inch) the piston travels inside the barrels... This can be done two ways, longer connecting rods or the rist pin is moved on the piston skirt... With boost application such as turbo's or blowers you don't want to run compression much higher that 10:1... For most boost applications you want to drop the compression... When you add boost you increase the amount of compression inside the combusion chamber for example, if your setup to run 8 lbs of boost, the compression ratio will be 20+:1 at 8lbs of boost... That's just a figure, its not exact, I don't have the formula sitting here in front of me... The point is, with boost you are craming air into the cylinders (more volume), as the piston starts its compression stroke, because there is a "bunch" of air and fuel the compression ration goes up rather dramatically... If you start out with low compression it gives you more to work with as far as how much boost you want to run along with a lot of other factors like beefing up the cases with a crank girdle etc. to handle the compression ratio's one achieves using a turbo or blower... The larger fuel pump just means it runs at a higher pressure that will keep up with the demands of the motor under boost along with bigger injectors which mean they allow more fuel to meet the demands of more air being pushed into the cylinders... Just think of any motor as a big ol air pump... The more air you can crame in and move out, the more power you will have... Hope this explains what he was saying....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts