Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy gents, so I've been scouring over quite a few articles regarding this, and have now come to receive your opinions on my problem.

Bought a used Night Rod and it will shut off with the TIP error code on hard stops. I've read a few articles here on how to trouble shoot the error and I think I found the problem.

The TSSM is for a VRSC-B and it's installed on my VRSC-D. I manually tilted the tssm left and right while the bike was running and nothing happened. But when I tilted it forwards or backwards it'll shut off with the TIP error code.
It sucks when I'm stuck in the middle of the road trying to get my bike off to the side or started again while traffic zooms by! Not fun..

So is it the tssm or something else? And what do ya think I should do? I'm gonna be sending my bike in to get some other things looked at as well (stalling at idle, speedometer stops working while driving sometimes, etc) so maybe the dealer can fix it? Thanks!

Here's some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
This might be worth a read perhaps ?

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153679

"All the earlier HD turn signal security modules (TSM/TSSM) came in two different orientations, "Y" and "Z".

The ones designed to mount with the long axis parallel to the frame are the "Z type" and have "even" part numbers. E.g.:
68920-01D (TSM-Z),
68922-00C (TSSM-Z), and
68924-00C (TSSM-Z, HDI).

The ones designed to mount with the long axis perpendicular to the frame are the "Y type" and have "odd" part numbers. E.g.:
68921-01D (TSM-Y),
68923-00D (TSSM-Y), and
68925-00D (TSSM-Y, HDI)."

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Bought a used Night Rod and it will shut off with the TIP error code on hard stops. I've read a few articles here on how to trouble shoot the error and I think I found the problem.

The TSSM is for a VRSC-B and it's installed on my VRSC-D. I manually tilted the tssm left and right while the bike was running and nothing happened. But when I tilted it forwards or backwards it'll shut off with the TIP error code
So is it the tssm or something else? And what do ya think I should do?...
That TSM (P/N 68921-01C) is not for a VRSCB. It's what's called a "Y" orientation type that needs to be located with the long dimension perpendicular to the bike. These were used on VRSC bikes from 2007 on. The VRSCB (as well as the '06 VRSCD) use "Z" orientation modules that mount with the long dimension parallel to the bike. If you want a proper TSM the P/Ns you need to look for are 68920-01x where x = A, B, C, or D (D is the latest version).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the info I needed, thank you both! I couldn't and still can't find an online store that listed the parts numbers so with the info you provided I can call and order one from a dealer.
*just got off the phone and they want $240 for it plus another 100 or so bucks for install!!!
"https://youtu.be/-K7fCQlUhj0"

·
Departed the Fix.
5,136 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,136 Posts
Thinking on this for a few minutes, you *may* need a Digital Technician to program since it's not natively programmed to the bike.

I don't know the answer to that, but someone around here will.

R.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...you *may* need a Digital Technician to program since it's not natively programmed to the bike.

I don't know the answer to that, but someone around here will.
A service manual (actually the electrical diagnostic manual P/N 99499-06) is helpful but the dealer DT isn't required. If a TSM (no security) is being replaced by another TSM the "password learn" procedure isn't required and it should just be a simple swap of the modules.

·
Registered
958 Posts
A service manual (actually the electrical diagnostic manual P/N 99499-06) is helpful but the dealer DT isn't required. If a TSM (no security) is being replaced by another TSM the "password learn" procedure isn't required and it should just be a simple swap of the modules.
Interesting! Tree of knowledge as always Steve.:notworth:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! I'll be buying one here today with one of the provided links. I'll let yall know if it installs without a hitch when I get it! Thank you all again for the info and help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new TSM came in today and I rode on it for a few hours with no problems whatsoever. Thanks again guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts