Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I Love my 05 SE but I am 5'5" and I seem like I am a bit "hunched" and after 60 mi my back is killing me, I do have the reduced reach peg setup. The stock SE seat is ok and does seem to push me forward a bit more than a stock V-Rod. I am afraid of the Harley reduced reach seat for fear that it is as comfortable as a 2x4. I did try a Sundowner seat today and that was very comfy but really didn't seem to push me forward anymore than the SE seat already does.

What I would really like to find is a set of fatbars that would fit the bike with an inch or two more pull back. Any ideas for bars that would fit the 05 SE? I can't find any besides drag bars. My next two options are to have a set fabricated and take a sundowner set to the upholster for a little extra cushion for a push forward. Any additional thoughts?

Thanks,
Leardriver

·
Dog Is My Copilot
434 Posts
Harley offers the "Reach Riders Seat"...here is the description from the MOCO site:

Reach Rider Seat

Offering a different riding option, this seat alters the rider's position by moving them 1" forward. Seat matches stock VRSCA passenger pillion. Seat width 13".

52024-01

Fits '02-'06 VRSCA, VRSCB and VRSCD models. Also fits '05-'06 VRSCSE models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I am familiar with the seat...just afraid that it is as uncomfortable as the stock v-rod seat. I was kinda hoping the Sundowner Seat would push me forward a bit......

Leardriver

·
Draco67
19 Posts
bars

call exile cycle for custom bars.the bars have to be 1 1/4 bars all the way across.the guys there are very helpful.I just ordered and installed some drag bars on my 2006 se.normal bars reduce down to 1inch and will not fit the risers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea that is what I foumd ;ast year when I began looking for bars. I was thinking of trying one of the local chopper builders first but maybe exile would be a good place to start. I ya don't mind me asking..what did your $$$?

Leardriver

·
Draco67
19 Posts
bars

I called them and had the bars made to my specs.they was at my door in 2 weeks.awesome finish and fit. $199.99 very pleased with exile.

·
Registered
143 Posts
whats the number for Exile? Sounds exactly who I need to talk to....I want SE bars for my DX, but they are obviously too big....

edit: nevermind...my friend Google found them for me....love their clean look on evrything they make...

www.exilecycles.com if anyone needs it....

·
Banned
654 Posts
i found a set of road king customs to fit my 05 SE. i have short arms and had the same problem with my back. they give me 3 inch pull back and are only 1/2 inch wider per side and still give the look i wanted without looking like mini apes. had to change the front brake lines and extended the clutch line with Russell hardware. this is now the most comfortable ride i have ever ridden.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
I did not know you could get that much crap on a V-rod

·
Banned
654 Posts
wiley81db said:
I did not know you could get that much crap on a V-rod
and it still carries as much and rides and outperforms my ultra by 300%.

·
Draco67
19 Posts
bagger

That is by far the most original and coolest v-rod I have seen so far.It is not my style by that took alot of work and imagination.Great job.

·
Banned
654 Posts
draco67 said:
That is by far the most original and coolest v-rod I have seen so far.It is not my style by that took alot of work and imagination.Great job.
thanks for the compliment. its what works for me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DPEIRCE,

Any chance I could get a few more pics of the Road King Bars? Are they a Harley Bar or aftermarket? Did the knurling for the risers align? I am having zero luck and am starting to seriously consider custom bars for somebody. Since you have done it alsready I would really like a bit more info if you get a chance. Do you think the bars would look good on a "normal" SE..lol? YOur is killer but obviously looks very different than mine. Also..do you know the rise on the bars?

Thanks,
PaulP

·
Banned
654 Posts
leardriver said:
DPEIRCE,

Any chance I could get a few more pics of the Road King Bars? Are they a Harley Bar or aftermarket? Did the knurling for the risers align? I am having zero luck and am starting to seriously consider custom bars for somebody. Since you have done it already I would really like a bit more info if you get a chance. Do you think the bars would look good on a "normal" SE..lol? Your is killer but obviously looks very different than mine. Also..do you know the rise on the bars?

Thanks,
PaulP
Paul

thanks for the compliment.

the bars are actually from a fatboy custom i found out. They are offered in the new Harley catalog. they are fashioned after the beach bars only narrower. i found them in my dealers salvage pile from a customer that had some front end damage and wanted everything replaced. he gave them to me and there was nothing wrong with them. the knurled area is a little larger than the stock bars but they worked fine and caught about half of the knurled area.

i recently saw in one of my bike books Flanders is now offering complete 1 1/4 bars in different styles but i haven't had a chance to check it out. found this after my post http://www.sideroadcycles.com/AmericanMotorcycles/Handlebars/AmericanHandlebars.html and http://www.sideroadcycles.com/AmericanMotorcycles/Handlebars/RoadKing-FatBoy/Fat_Bad_Boy.html
Note: i had a set of after market bars i was going to try but the holes for the wiring was in the wrong place. the fatboy bars were the same as the SE bars. the holes are set back from where they neck down to 1 inch. the aftermarket bars had the holes right at the neck down area and the stock harley switch hsgs wouldnt work the way they are wired. not sure where the holes are on the Flanders it looks like they may be setback like the stock Harley bars in the pics.

i have short arms so what i wanted was as close to the stock SE style without a lot of rise and about 3 inches of pull back. these bars are only an inch wider 1/2 inch per side and give me about 3 inches of pull back and almost identical in rise. now my arms are bent a little at the elbows and i can stretch back without having the hunch that was bothering my upper back.

i have attached a couple pics one with the stock bars its the one with the straight exhaust and one with the fatboy bars has the slash cut pipes for cornering clearance. not a allot of difference in looks but a lot in comfort and thats what i wanted.

hopes this helps.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
reduced reach bars

Are these reduced reach bars now mounted on your bike?
How do you like the feel?

got twins? said:
Go with the 2005 B model reduced reach bars with your existing reduced reach pegs. This should do the trick.

·
Banned
654 Posts
slow blue said:
Are these reduced reach bars now mounted on your bike?
How do you like the feel?
the 05 reduced reach bars are 1 inch. the SE 05 bars are 1 1/4. the 05 reduced reach bars wont fit the SE bikes. not sure if that is what you asked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dennis,

I think the Fatboy Bars are the ones I have been considering! Harley now offers them as an accessory! I actually called Harley to get the specs on rise/pullback/ect as they are not listed on the book....except the price of course! Do you by chance have a pic of the bars on the bike where they are connected to the riser? I am a little concerned about how it would look with half the knurled portion visable beyond the riser clamp. I cannot see it in your pics. I do have to admit they look very similiar to stock (that's a good thing!) and am very encouraged by your experience with the bars!

Did you have to do anything with the wiring harnesses? Any extensions required? I remember in a past post you said you had to replace the brake lines and clutch line. Did the Throttle cables work ok or was it necessary to replace those as well?

Thanks,
PaulP

·
Banned
654 Posts
leardriver said:
Dennis,

I think the Fatboy Bars are the ones I have been considering! Harley now offers them as an accessory! I actually called Harley to get the specs on rise/pullback/ect as they are not listed on the book....except the price of course! Do you by chance have a pic of the bars on the bike where they are connected to the riser? I am a little concerned about how it would look with half the knurled portion visable beyond the riser clamp. I cannot see it in your pics. I do have to admit they look very similiar to stock (that's a good thing!) and am very encouraged by your experience with the bars!

Did you have to do anything with the wiring harnesses? Any extensions required? I remember in a past post you said you had to replace the brake lines and clutch line. Did the Throttle cables work ok or was it necessary to replace those as well?

Thanks,
PaulP
Paul

i checked the P/N 56857-05 for the SE FatBoy narrow beach bars on the HD handlebar comparision chart but the P/N dosent show.

the knurled part is still covered by the clamp. it doesnt show. actually i think the knurled area was narrower than the area on the Stock SE vrod bars.

the electrical harness just reaches but i had to move the connectors and they kinda of bunched up under the cover with the other harness. i made a 1/4 spacer and used a longer bolt so the cover wouldnt press and stress the wiring under the cover. you could make some extensions, probably about four inches and the connectors would slide onto there frame mounts. i just didnt want to take the time to cut mine and extend them not knowing if i would like the bars or not.

i used the same throttle cables i just routed them up thru the small relief just fwd of the right cover retaining screw. i also ground it out a little for clearance and added some clear tygon tubing for chaffe protection. i will take some pics when i get a chance.

also as mentioned i had to replace the front brake hoses with the russell hardware and made an extension for the clutch line. again not knowing if i would like them. i will probably replace the line with the correct length this winter to eliminate the junction under the front cover, although it works fine.

PM me with your phone number and we can talk directly if you want to talk about it.

Dennis

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is the part number for the bar that I was looking at! Excellent. I will PM now with my number and we can talk a bit...Thanks Dennis!

Oh by the way...I did just put on a Sundowner Seat and was instantly able to go MUCH further before my back started to really get the better of me!

PaulP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts