Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my 05 Vrsca to the dealer. I was having a problem with the speedometer droping to zero while riding followed by a low idle stall.
Checking some post it sounded like a vss problem. The dealer said the vss is good and the problem is the ECM, p/n 32534-05C.
They can't get a part for at least 4 weeks. There are a couple of units on line that are avalible but the p/n's do not match 100%.

My questions: is this a plug and play unit or will it need programed after it is installed? Is it something I can do or will it need to be done by a dealing? Will p/n's 32534-03C or 32534-05B work?

I am running a high flow air filter with v-mod pipes and a power commander.

Thanks in advance

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The ecm is mated to the tssm with the scanner at a Harley dealer,or through a sequence you can do.
Have you tried taking the power commander off and running it to make sure?
It usually is the speed sensor and not the ecm for the stalling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I haven't taken the power commander off. I did pull the vss to make sure it was clean. It was. and checked the vss wires for any visual signs of wear or damage. I am going to pick the bike up from the dealer. I will try pulling the p/c and see what happens.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the ecm is sent blank... it has to have the initial program installed with the digital tech and then needs to be "married to the tsm or tssm by the digital tech" the only way it can be plug and play is if you get an ecm and tsm off of a bike that matches yours..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i am sure they ran diagnostic tests to pinpoint the problem but those test sometimes say the problem is with the ecm when it isn`t.. the vss are known to fail far more often than the ecm...i would try one..

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
A vss is far less expensive than a ECM. Easy to replace also. If you lose the vss signal you will stall at 0% throttle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elrod, I think your on to something. I removed the power commander last night and went for a 40 mile ride. No stalling. The stalling was intermittent but usually happened in the first 15-20 miles. I dumped the map in the p/c and re-installed a new map, plugged the p/c back in and rode for 50 miles, again no stalling. Not 100% sure if the problem is resolved but it looks promising. I'll take another ride tonight if it stalls I'll replace the vss.
Everybody, thank you so much for responding and your help. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was having a problem with the speedometer dropping to zero while riding followed by a low idle stall.

I am running a high flow air filter with v-mod pipes and a power commander.
I know this is an old post but I'm adding on for anyone else that may be diagnosing similar a issue.

I just added a power commander and took the baffles out of my pipes. On first test ride I had the exact same problem as you describe. Speedo went to zero when decelerating upon approaching an intersection, engine stalled when I came to a stop. Happened 3 times in ten minutes. Luckily, engine started right up after each incident.

After reading your post, I un-plugged and re-plugged all the fittings that I thought I may have touched or loosened during the power commander install. After that, all good. :)

UPDATE: Problem has returned. I'm starting a new post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.