Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get my hands on a spray can of DDLP-4 Silver frame paint? I have a 2003 A model,from what I have read the Harley paint does not match at all.
Or does anyone know of a very close automotive match and have the number handy who has tried it out.

I just installed my trick tank want to paint the plate on the bottom of the frame now so it matches the frame color.

I have searched the forums unable to find information.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
H-D Part number for the 2003 is 98606BED Silver Frame, VRSCA .

I used it on a frame member on my 2003 and it looks compatible to me. Some people are just never satisfied. They expect professional quality from a rattle can. Ain't gonna get it.

It is not the same color as the anniversary tins on the 2003 so don't expect that.
I just had my rear fender repainted and the painter said that color is identical to the silver used on the Ford F150 Harley trucks. He must be right because the paint job came out excellent and matched my air box perfectly.

PPG makes the paint and I have heard they can cross the HD part number to their paint code so find a PPG dealer.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
For small stuff you might just want to go to an auto body shop. I had a scuff on my FJR1300A and Abra (don't know if they're a national chain) looked up the paint code, mixed it and touched it up for me pretty cheaply.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
The Harley sold paint in the spray cans matches my 03 frame perfectly.
I wish mine did.

I ordered that part no because I wanted to touch up a scratch on the frame right under the airbox on the right side right where you look at the bike. masked up an prepped up an area masked it all off etc.

Once I removed the tape there was a noticeable difference between the two. :chair:

I think your better off getting someoen to colour match it. The silver in the can looks more like the newer model A's. IMO

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I wish mine did.

I ordered that part no because I wanted to touch up a scratch on the frame right under the airbox on the right side right where you look at the bike. masked up an prepped up an area masked it all off etc.

Once I removed the tape there was a noticeable difference between the two. :chair:

I think your better off getting someoen to colour match it. The silver in the can looks more like the newer model A's. IMO
Maybe it is the new color.
I do know that you have to blend the paint.Just as with painting an auto,you are not supposed to panel paint.The paint should be blended properly.I have color matched mixed paint for the frame on my 03 and the dark blue on my Heritage.Both have to be blended,same as a body shop would.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
I wish mine did.

Not trying to be a smart Azz but when you mask off an area do so at a "seam" somewhere like a corner or weld point. Spray to that.

Make sure you shake the can up real good. Directions say for 2 minutes and they mean that - 2 minutes. Shake well during spraying if spraying for more than few seconds.

Also you need to polish the new paint with polishing compound after a day or so to bring out the true luster.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
All I know is that the frame on my '02 is 2 different colors, the Outer/Sun/Weather beaten side is 4-5 shades Lighter than the Unexposed places so I can only imagine that to do Touch Ups would be problematic in many instances as the Original Color is Much Darker than whats on there now. in '05 when they came out with the Good color and Glossy "A Model" Frames it probably holds up much better.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
All I know is that the frame on my '02 is 2 different colors, the Outer/Sun/Weather beaten side is 4-5 shades Lighter than the Unexposed places so I can only imagine that to do Touch Ups would be problematic in many instances as the Original Color is Much Darker than whats on there now. in '05 when they came out with the Good color and Glossy "A Model" Frames it probably holds up much better.
There is a different frame paint for newer models called "Silver Frame - II". I have it on my 2007 and is much glossier than the early 2003 model.
Have you tried some polishing compound on the faded paint? That should remove some of the oxidization.

·
It is what it is
2,632 Posts
Anyone know where to get my hands on a spray can of DDLP-4 Silver frame paint? I have a 2003 A model,from what I have read the Harley paint does not match at all.
Or does anyone know of a very close automotive match and have the number handy who has tried it out.

I just installed my trick tank want to paint the plate on the bottom of the frame now so it matches the frame color.

I have searched the forums unable to find information.
Did you ever locate the paint I have a few scratches on my frame that I would like to touch up?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My brother and brother -in-law, both high end auto painters for over 30 years each, used to tell me the hardest colors to match were silver and white. The used to almost always have to tint the new paint due to age and base coat differences. Even then the advice given above is necessary as far as blending to match. Silver definitely needs proper agitation before and during application.

·
It is what it is
2,632 Posts
My brother and brother -in-law, both high end auto painters for over 30 years each, used to tell me the hardest colors to match were silver and white. The used to almost always have to tint the new paint due to age and base coat differences. Even then the advice given above is necessary as far as blending to match. Silver definitely needs proper agitation before and during application.
Do you think they could help me with some touch up frame work?

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Finally someone understands the reality of faded paint. The silver leaf paint though was introduced on the '04's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts