Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Wow, need to ponder all of this. Not airbox or exhaust or the IAT. Being a used engine , do you know for sure it's condition? Almost like it's trying to seize up, based on sound, max speed and trying to stall. Did you run this ECM in boost or something else and what tune is in the stock ECM now? Generally not being able to read the ECM is from a loss of serial data, not the issue with the ECM itself. This will show up as a code on the speedo. See if have one and what number it is.
Ron

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Well for starters, there are no HD calibrations that will work with a SC. The stock ECM is only capable of 1 bar operation, not boost beyond that, unless some rather elaborate scaling is done. That's way beyond dealer skills. Don't use the oem head location for the IAT. In 2002 it was relocated and a different flash to the ECM.
10% leakdown is the most one would want to see and that's a bit high too. In the SM it states front and rear min and max psi. If cam timing is off, you won't hit those numbers.
Sounds like calibration is all wrong. Need to address the serial loss so you can load a normal cal into it for starters. Ignition timing is in the calibration so unless the map sensor is pooched, it will remain normal. You could test the map sensor but it's a pain in the ass to get at. Data logging is easier plus you can view all the engine sensors.
Coil, I'd swap it out if it's throwing a code.
Ron

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
The electrical interference from the LED modules might be a culprit, last spring I changed out the launch box (2-step) on my Destroyer to the proprietary OEM unit, which are known to be sketchy at best. as it turned out the box did its job of limiting RPM with clutch engaged and throttle pegged, but it was sending out some interference signals on the connection to the ECM which blocked my TTS tuner from communicating with the ECM, could not log data or flash tunes!!!!!

After taking out the bad box and reinstalling my Dyna 2-step, the ECM was happy and the TTS module would Tune, monitor run data and even worked in flight mode gathering run statistics.

My suggestion, leave the LED's off the bike for a while to prove your suspicions, get the ECM tuned to unrestricted air cleaner and low restriction pipes and see how she runs, don't change out heads until you have this problem whipped.
Yup, weird stuff can happen. On the VRSCR I worked on last summer, I was using my old black TTS to log sensors and such via Datamaster. I kept getting the serial data loss code , each time I cleared and turned he key back on. Chased that shit for hours and never found a cause on the bike. Did get better at electrical diagnostics however and probably drove Coastrider nuts. 😆 Later, when I took the TTS dongle off, the code never came back. Weird and no explanation. Just goes to show how some things can effect the ecm.
Ron

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Ecm now works with powervision. Now I have to come up with the 299 for the license to download the map.

Im an ASE-certified auto diesel mechanic. And I still think it needs some backpressure on the exhaust.. lol
How did you load the map via powervision in the first place? Do you have a different PV now? Any PV unit , married or not can make a log file. I suggest hooking it up. Run a log and send the file to us. Lots of data there to view afr's and sensors. You only need a license to unlock a PV so it's capable of loading a calibration.
Ron

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I don't have a pv. I had harley hook theirs up and tell me what they found.

The dealer that SAID they programmed my ecm is some one loaded the ecm when I put the SE haeads and rinhart racing exhaust on bike. I suspected they charged me for modifying the ecm for SC but didn't actually do anything. But couldn't ever prove it. Turns out that is the case. I went there and confronted them about it. Didnt go well. Without going into details I almost went to jail when the cops came. Im banned from going back there when they are the ones who ripped me off.
Don't know what to tell you other then the dealer isn't capable of supplying a base tune for SC you had before. There are no flashed tunes beyond 1 bar pressure. Even if one was smart enough to scale a HD cal, it can only be dialed in on a dyno from that point. Not an easy cheap task.
Ron

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
That bike. even with those pipes should bounce off the limiter all day. Just won't have the low end torque a good 2-1 will have. Three things need to be done. Do a fuel pressure test. Datalog the bike for an overview of all sensors. Be it TTS or Powervision, which many of us can view the logs and determine what's up. If all good then deal with the calibration, which the above two can do both data log and load calibrations . You are just pissing in the wind with back pressure as a fix. Boils down to a systematic approach and throwing a bit more money into it. As for the law suit, good luck. I , we, tried to sue over a patent deal but we didn't have a dump truck full of money, plus HD has a room full of vultures ready to do legal battle. Still pisses me off after 8 years but it is what it is.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts