Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m trying to bleed my clutch. For whatever reason, every video has someone using a wrench to open the bleeder just like I’ve done on a brake caliper. Mine however does not have a bleeder valve it just has a bleeder screw. I open it and fluid leaks everywhere. Please help
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Early models had the bleeder screw. Pump up clutch and crack open the screw (do not remove) and then close and repeat until results are achieved. May I suggest getting a shop manual

Reactions: coastrider

·
Registered
36 Posts
Guys I dont get it, (Dylan says just has a bleeder screw. I open it and fluid leaks everywhere) (JJrod responds with; Pump up clutch and crack open the screw.)
Isn't this what dylan was talking about? the fluid leaking everywhere? JJrod how is your way not going to splatter fluid everywhere? I need to find out as well, I need this done on my bike. Also can i change that bleeder screw to a niple?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you Frog and Rbabos for your reply. I am thinking of creating a rubber seal or something to fit around perhaps a soda bottle to catch all the or most of the fluid. Just an experiment yes I'm lazy I hate to clean up.

Drinkware Liquid Fluid Font Plastic

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Steering part

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Just roll a rag into a circular berm and surround the bleeder screw to absorb the fluid as it comes out - go slowly and gravity bleed as Ron mentioned - if pump up bleeding light pressure at the lever before you open the screw, so it doesn't squirt all over. Technique is the answer but hey if you can build a plastic bottle with a rubber seal that will allow fluid to drain off to a lower section of the bottle over the side of the slave cylinder I'd like too see it - (y):cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just roll a rag into a circular berm and surround the bleeder screw to absorb the fluid as it comes out - go slowly and gravity bleed as Ron mentioned - if pump up bleeding light pressure at the lever before you open the screw, so it doesn't squirt all over. Technique is the answer but hey if you can build a plastic bottle with a rubber seal that will allow fluid to drain off to a lower section of the bottle over the side of the slave cylinder I'd like too see it - (y):cool:
Once i get it done will get some pics.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It is obvious you do not have or own a manual. I highly suggest you acquire one. As per the Manual, I gave the right info. Keep in mind that there is a lot of opinionated options all over the internet besides here, that get people looking for help in trouble and upside down in unnecessary repairs and throwing parts at the problem, and don't solve the issue. My lifetime practice has always been "You can never go wrong, by doing it right" and "I am only as good as the information I have to work with"

Per the manual for early VRSC

Rectangle Font Tints and shades Pattern Parallel

Rectangle Grille Wood Font Tints and shades

Use paper towels to catch the brake fluid, and open bleeder screw slowly .......... HD changed bleeder in later years thankfully ........ just don't get brake fluid on painted surfaces, unless you want paint removed
Dot 5 will not harm paint. The screw type bleeders, were all Dot 5 (not to be confused with Dot 5.1)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Nothing in life is a guarantee, except dying.
If mixed, it turns into a gel like substance, and really softens and swells the seals, if it is not caught and flushed right away.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Fk myth, I have seen it personally at the shop I worked for, and had to basically replace every rubber component, hoses and all from cross contamination swelling after about 6 weeks there was no flushing, the customer bleed his brakes and used dot4 to top off the fluid from a new sealed bottle.
Hey but if you want to prove me wrong, who am I to stop you:)

• Haha
Reactions: frogman_h2o
1 - 17 of 17 Posts