Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my leather bags and needed to remove their upper mounts near rear fender that were used for shock bolts to tighten. I bought 2 replacement nuts (same as lower shock mounts) but am having a very difficult time trying to get them to seat and tighten the shock mount bolts! Very pissed right now. Any tips or ways to keep the nuts from spinning once they engage inside the upper inside hole (inner fender/tire sides) for shock mount bolt?

Damn near impossible for me for some reason. Do I need to remove the rear wheel?

Thanks for any advice!!!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... I bought 2 replacement nuts (same as lower shock mounts) but am having a very difficult time trying to get them to seat and tighten the shock mount bolts! Very pissed right now. Any tips or ways to keep the nuts from spinning once they engage inside the upper inside hole (inner fender/tire sides) for shock mount bolt? ...
The upper shock mount nuts aren’t the same as the lower shock mount nuts. The upper shock mount nuts for 2003 VRSCs are 48486-01 and these should not need to be held with a wrench.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS Stever975!

Eastside Harley didn't show any parts listed for these so they had me buy the same nuts for the bottoms of shocks at ~$7 ea. Can't believe they didn't know this! Will get some new ones and let you know how it goes. Thanks again, hate not riding in Fall weather!!!

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
You got the wrong guy at Eastside. Those nuts are very distinctive, large, black, and a bit odd shaped. They wedge in the space in the frame so you don't have to hold them. That Stever975 knows his stuff!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

For anyone switching out from having bags on an older VRSCA they should note the part #. I just ordered a pair for about $10 from HD. Even after calling in with the info I initially had some question from parts dept then they said a lot of folks were ordering these to replace the saddlebag mounting bracket that replaces original upper shock bolt nuts.

I'm anxiously waiting to get these in so I can ride some awesome Fall days in Seattle!!!! Should be in mid next week.

Thanks again vroder and stever975 for the part # and sound advice!!!! You saved a lot of frustration!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts