Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Instigator!
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My '03 requires maintenance at 1,000 miles, 2,500 miles & 5,000 miles etc. etc. - this according to the manual.

I understand that the service intervals for '04 models are now double the '03's.

When I questioned my service dealer about this, he said I'll void my warranty if I follow the '04 schedule even though there are no differences in either machine (except the $203 per oil change / maintenance charge :deal: ).

I was just tryin' to save a bit-o-money for accessories....

Vrod1958 :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Thats because the HD factory waves a special magic wand over the 04's (didnt have in 03) that allows for longer maint intervals.

·
Registered
974 Posts
IF its' under warranty, do as the H-D god's want.
If not do somewhere in between the old and the new intervals and you should be ok.
There will be plenty of opinions on this so read and interpret your own view..........
Good luck.
BobT

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Brent you've been misinformed. It's the Pixie dust they put in the new powdercoat on the frame that wards off evil wear demons a little better ;) :D :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
As someone said above. Take the info and draw your own conclusions, but the Magnusson Moss warranty act prohibits exclusion of warranty claims unless it can be definitively proven that by missing or not doing something was the SOLE cause of the failure. All that being said, fighting the dealership would in all likelihood cost you more $ then having the work done.

In my case I have decided to do the no major checks like the 2500 7500 myself and document what I did with receipts. I take it to the stealer for a fleecing every 5k so I can get their signature in my owners manual for protection.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Vrod1958 said:
Hi all,

My '03 requires maintenance at 1,000 miles, 2,500 miles & 5,000 miles etc. etc. - this according to the manual.

I understand that the service intervals for '04 models are now double the '03's.

When I questioned my service dealer about this, he said I'll void my warranty if I follow the '04 schedule even though there are no differences in either machine (except the $203 per oil change / maintenance charge :deal: ).

I was just tryin' to save a bit-o-money for accessories....

Vrod1958 :banghead:

·
The Instigator!
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...

Appreciate your comments - one & all...
I'll bow to the H-D gods this 1st year only, then I'll get my hands dirty and see what I can tinker with myself. I know this is a high performance machine and it must be cared for properly.
I'll probably go the same route as you describe Greenham as I have been told this by more than one V-rod user...

Thanks again, Brad (Vrod1958) :stooge:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Brad, I played roulette like I always do with HD and just got the service manual for about $50 and never took it in for any service. I've had my 03 since Aug 02 with about 8300 miles on it and the factory 1 year warranty has come and gone and have had no problems or issues (correction!) EXCEPT FOR the weld on the heat shield on the SE 16 GA straight mufflers broke where the big hose clamp runs through causing it to rattle. It was the one marked "Screaming Eagle" each time. Dealer replaced it with a new one on two separate occasions (at about the 4 month and 10 month mark) with absolutely no quibbling- within the the 1 year warranty. They really are a great dealership- with top notch mechanics who seem to be able to do work very quickly and at very reasonable cost. But I'll keep a handle on my $ anyway if I don't need to give it away for services! The only adjustment I plan on taking it in for is the valve lash adjustment at 10k (just the adjustment- NOT the rest of the service). I will be damned if I'll pay hundreds for an oil change and someone to eyeball fluid levels and "check for loose fittings". The service manual is pretty specific on how to do a lot of what's required without real exotic tools, particularly outside of the engine. The only tool that was not normal was a large crowsfoot wrench (1-1/2 inch I think) to adjust the front fork 'fall away'. I checked it and didn't need to adjust it after all. I really had no idea what it was until it was explained in this forum. The service manual assumes you know, and I thought I was mechanically inclined, but apparently not. I've taken the chance on 3 Harley's so far (the other 2 were used police Roadkings-EVO and TC) and they all have proven to be pretty bulletproof. The only issue I had on either RK was the alternator on the TC 95 fell apart, at the 3 year mark and getting it fixed at the dealer was far less than a 3 year warranty would ever have cost- along with the guilt trip they will lay on you to bring it in every other day it seems to keep the warranty 'active' for the entire warranty period. To each his own comfort level on this. Few people would begrudge anyone taking their baby into the dealer if they need to, including every service and adjustment.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Not being much of a wrench, I've been taking mine to the dealer for servicing. Asked my mechanic if I could go the '04 5k between servicing and he said it wouldn't be a problem...and it wouldn't effect my extended warranty.

I've been very happy w/my service department and mechanic. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
218 Posts
MDRSTEVE,
There are others who like their dealers. When I was in TX, I went to Bell County HD where I bought the 'Rod, and they ALWAYS treated me (and everyone else I saw) right. Excellent manager, great sales and parts guys and a really terrific service dept. They work fast and always seemed to charge a lot less than I thought they could- even at $50+ per hour. They certainly didn't dawdle on anything. They are certainly there to be in business, but they really take the time to give personal attention to their customers and those who might be customers too, even if it won't be for awhile, like an 18 year old who is just drooling and won't be back w/ $ for many a year- which is sometimes unusual for a dealer of anything.

·
4,638 Posts
mustangcav said:
MDRSTEVE,
There are others who like their dealers. When I was in TX, I went to Bell County HD where I bought the 'Rod, and they ALWAYS treated me (and everyone else I saw) right. Excellent manager, great sales and parts guys and a really terrific service dept. They work fast and always seemed to charge a lot less than I thought they could- even at $50+ per hour. They certainly didn't dawdle on anything. They are certainly there to be in business, but they really take the time to give personal attention to their customers and those who might be customers too, even if it won't be for awhile, like an 18 year old who is just drooling and won't be back w/ $ for many a year- which is sometimes unusual for a dealer of anything.
The Dealership you are referring to is for sale and has had the misfortune of poor sales due to the large amount of soldiers being deployed...Dale the only salesman they have says that without the soldiers life sucks.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts