Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, this old chest nut. Fuel needle goes up and down like a yo-yo no matter how much fuel is in the tank. Has anyone had any luck with cleaning the fuel sending unit with a green scotch brite pad? I've read about this SOMETIMES working? Any other tips to fix this problem? The don't make new FSUs anymore, so need to try and fix this. Thanks in advance.

·
VRSC est -03
2,594 Posts
Check out this thread, it may help you?

·
Registered
466 Posts
The Fix above has been working over 6 years for me

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok, so, this old chest nut. Fuel needle goes up and down like a yo-yo no matter how much fuel is in the tank. Has anyone had any luck with cleaning the fuel sending unit with a green scotch brite pad? I've read about this SOMETIMES working? Any other tips to fix this problem? The don't make new FSUs anymore, so need to try and fix this. Thanks in advance.
I've done it a couple of times on my '03, it works but it isn't final fix

·
Registered
140 Posts
Be a skeptic if you want, but I had all kinds of problems with that gauge. I dumped 1 third of a can of seafoam 3 times into the gas tank during 3 consecutive fill ups and the problem resolved itself. Keep in mind, I'm a weekend warrior and the bike sits all through the work week. I dont know WHY it worked, but it did. I think it may have cleaned up residue on the sending unit as the prior owner only put 7200 miles on it in 13 years. It has worked flawlessly for over 2 years now. So, I can't
Say scientifically seafoam fixed
It, I can say I spent 6 dollars 😁and now it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 v rod Fuel gauge was working perfectly since I bought the bike almost new and now have 6k miles on it. Two weeks ago I ran over a f-ing man hole with a good 2 or 3 inch depression. Christ I damn near lost the bike! It was like a collision. I was on reserve at the time, the ”R” light was on and it read 30 miles on reserve......that was just before hitting the man hole. The fuel gauge promptly went nuts, reading a half a tank but the reserve light still on. So I got gas right away, filled it. The “R” light went out and the gauge after driving for 30 minutes slowly came up to full. I’ve got a problem. Fast forward to today, after watch “you tube university “, I bought a new fuel sending unit (with a float, just like I have), and an “O” ring. Took me a couple of hours but I got everything in and secure. It read 1/2 a tank, not sure how much was in actually. Drove to my gas station, filled it with Sunoco 93, drove about 100 feet and the needle went right to Full, as it did before the incident .
so I drove the bike 50 miles and the gauge is reading 3/4, just as it should.
Hopefully I fixed the trouble but the sending unit I took out looked perfect, the float would move freely. So......I m not sure what the hell broke in the first place, maybe the magnetic “reader” on the top of the sending unit? Clueless, but happy 😃

1 - 6 of 6 Posts