Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
can anyone tell me if i can modify my frame to accept 07 aftermarket body and seat parts?
I assume you are talking about the rear fender as you mention seat. The later parts will fit with minor mods, mostly to the parts as opposed to the frame. I run a Muscle rear end on my 03, all pretty simple work.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
thanks for the reply, Im looking to add a single seat and fender combo, like this... V-Rod Seat For
I would think that would fit with some tweaking. Your only problem I can see is you might have relocate the TSSM if there is no room under that fender. Remember if you do relocate it, has to stay in the same orientation because of the tilt sensor. You may also have trim the front part of the inner fender that is part of the frame on the early models. You will need to buy a 2012 DX rear light ax well according to the fender description.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think that would fit with some tweaking. Your only problem I can see is you might have relocate the TSSM if there is no room under that fender. Remember if you do relocate it, has to stay in the same orientation because of the tilt sensor. You may also have trim the front part of the inner fender that is part of the frame on the early models. You will need to buy a 2012 DX rear light ax well according to the fender description.
thanks man! good info...have you seen the TSSM relocated? if so where...not a lot of room under the air box cover. when it says "orientation", does it mean side to side or can it be reversed...is it even necessary?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
A lot of people do relocate it to under the airbox cover on custom builds. It requires either lengthening the wires, or carefully unwrapping the wiring loom and splitting out the TSSM wires and then they will reach the front. You need to have it, it does many things and is integral to a few systems. You need to try and keep the same orientation as is now which is in line with the frame on the early 03 models. Later bikes had a different module that was mounted across the frame. It has 2 sensors that detect side to side and end to end movement, partly for indicator cancelling and partly as a safety feature to kill the fuel pump should the bike go down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of people do relocate it to under the airbox cover on custom builds. It requires either lengthening the wires, or carefully unwrapping the wiring loom and splitting out the TSSM wires and then they will reach the front. You need to have it, it does many things and is integral to a few systems. You need to try and keep the same orientation as is now which is in line with the frame on the early 03 models. Later bikes had a different module that was mounted across the frame. It has 2 sensors that detect side to side and end to end movement, partly for indicator cancelling and partly as a safety feature to kill the fuel pump should the bike go down.
got it, already split the wires and moved it to under the tank, question is, i get it has to be in line with the frame, but can it be facing back instead of front? i guess i could fire it up and see! Ill post some photos as i go, thanks again for your time...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
got it, already split the wires and moved it to under the tank, question is, i get it has to be in line with the frame, but can it be facing back instead of front? i guess i could fire it up and see! Ill post some photos as i go, thanks again for your time...
I would think as long as it is level as per original mounting then back to front should work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think as long as it is level as per original mounting then back to front should work.
starts up! and i have a after market gauge, so no lights...while i have you, i was looking to put the newer inverted forks on this bike. i was told the newer ones can be done with a complete front end swap, do you know if thats true? if so is the axle the same so i can run my wheel?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
starts up! and i have a after market gauge, so no lights...while i have you, i was looking to put the newer inverted forks on this bike. i was told the newer ones can be done with a complete front end swap, do you know if thats true? if so is the axle the same so i can run my wheel?
Yes, as long as you use trees etc for the inverted forks. Axle went to metric bearing size in 08 and never changed again so is the same for both inverted and normal. There was a change to the earlier axle in 04 but I am not sure what actually changed and as far as I know you can swap axles from the early 02 to the 08 metric one. You may need to modify or change the spacers either side of the wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awesome, now to find a set....couple things, i have a 03, so it seems ill need to change the bearing to metric, i actually have 05 wheels, so i have already had to play with spacers, so thats a given. Caliber should be ok or is that needed as well? Moving on, im getting ready to paint my engine in the bike, any thoughts on that? heres what i got so far.,,,,

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
awesome, now to find a set....couple things, i have a 03, so it seems ill need to change the bearing to metric, i actually have 05 wheels, so i have already had to play with spacers, so thats a given. Caliber should be ok or is that needed as well? Moving on, im getting ready to paint my engine in the bike, any thoughts on that? heres what i got so far.,,,,
They are 2012 onwards NRS wheels so unless the bearings have been changed already to fit to your bike they will be metric. Whichever way you should be able to use all that with upside down forks. Your fender won't swap unless you modify it and change the bracket. Calipers are all the same fitment so you could use your originals. If you change calipers to the later Brembo type you will need to change brake rotors as well as there is an 8mm difference in diameter. You are going to paint the engine IN the bike or you are taking it out to paint it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are 2012 onwards NRS wheels so unless the bearings have been changed already to fit to your bike they will be metric. Whichever way you should be able to use all that with upside down forks. Your fender won't swap unless you modify it and change the bracket. Calipers are all the same fitment so you could use your originals. If you change calipers to the later Brembo type you will need to change brake rotors as well as there is an 8mm difference in diameter. You are going to paint the engine IN the bike or you are taking it out to paint it?
I have Brembo on her now, i think from 05 bike? Ive done some upgrades already, tires, wheels, swing arm, exhaust.... i was going to attempt in the motor in the frame, what do you think? going for look,
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Motorcycle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have Brembo on her now, i think from 05 bike? Ive done some upgrades already, tires, wheels, swing arm, exhaust.... i was going to attempt in the motor in the frame, what do you think? going f
I plan on taking pipes, covers, lower airbox...anything i can and then a good prep. Be a good way to clean it all up too...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have Brembo on her now, i think from 05 bike? Ive done some upgrades already, tires, wheels, swing arm, exhaust.... i was going to attempt in the motor in the frame, what do you think? going for look,
Absolutely correct, you do have Brembo calipers, I never noticed. Brembo calipers were first fitted in 06 and your wheels are from 2012 so if you had those off an 05 bike they must have been retrofitted by somebody else. As far as painting the engine in the frame goes, my personal opinion for what it is worth is Nooooo!! I don't think you will access areas sufficiently to clean or paint to make it look even close to reasonable. Just my 2 cents, but I've been proven wrong before! Good luck!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Absolutely correct, you do have Brembo calipers, I never noticed. Brembo calipers were first fitted in 06 and your wheels are from 2012 so if you had those off an 05 bike they must have been retrofitted by somebody else. As far as painting the engine in the frame goes, my personal opinion for what it is worth is Nooooo!! I don't think you will access areas sufficiently to clean or paint to make it look even close to reasonable. Just my 2 cents, but I've been proven wrong before! Good luck!!
ok thanks, , ive been around the block with custom stuff, so i value your opinion, you definitely seem to have knowledge with these bikes...If i go as far as to pull the engine, would you think paint will hold or do you think i should disassemble and powder coat? Im pretty set on the black, and im a good wrench, with a full shop. The bike owes me nothing, so i am ready to put in the time, just trying to keep cost to a reasonable few grand with seat, fender, engine paint and inverted forks...seat and fender cost is at 600.00. Name is Jeff....B&B Customs, i dont sit still....

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
ok thanks, , ive been around the block with custom stuff, so i value your opinion, you definitely seem to have knowledge with these bikes...If i go as far as to pull the engine, would you think paint will hold or do you think i should disassemble and powder coat? Im pretty set on the black, and im a good wrench, with a full shop. The bike owes me nothing, so i am ready to put in the time, just trying to keep cost to a reasonable few grand with seat, fender, engine paint and inverted forks...seat and fender cost is at 600.00. Name is Jeff....B&B Customs, i dont sit still....
Paint sticks no problem, it's all in the prep. Be carefull with powder coat, been quite a few people trashed their engines after powder coating because of unseen residue left from sand blasting, that takes a lot of cleaning to get rid of. Chrome parts are the problem for painting or powder coating, always best to have the chrome removed at a chromers. Your fork conversion is probably your biggest cost and not easy to source parts. Few people have fitted sportsbike (GSXR etc) front ends on them to get better braking as well as suspension. Don't think any cheaper, just easier to source. Have fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
motor is ready to drop....couldn't wait : ).....good cleaning, sanding then some paint...gloss or flat is my next decision... looks like some creative blocking and jacking to get my hydro stand out of the to drop it?...thanks again, ill be on the lookout for some 2012 forks....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
motor is ready to drop....couldn't wait : ).....good cleaning, sanding then some paint...gloss or flat is my next decision... looks like some creative blocking and jacking to get my hydro stand out of the to drop it?...thanks again, ill be on the lookout for some 2012 forks....
i cant find ant videos on the best wat to drop the engine, alli gave left is the swing arm bolt front mount and frame bolts...do you know ofthe best way to support this thing? or the final process?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i cant find ant videos on the best wat to drop the engine, alli gave left is the swing arm bolt front mount and frame bolts...do you know ofthe best way to support this thing? or the final process?
I use a trolley jack under the engine and pull it out from the left side. It's a little wobbly on the jack but with a couple of blocks of wood strategically placed it works ok.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts