Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I have a 2003 with a 200mm metzeler that is waring and rubbing on the left side pretty bad. I'm redoing the whole bike this winter. This is a problem I was dealing with all season. So while I'm redoing the bike this winter I would like to fix it. I posted some pics where you can see it's sitting to the left more then the right, and it waring a flat spot on the left side too. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,382 Posts
Cris, If I remember from the early days, Installing a 200 on a 2003 could have problems with a bracket hitting the tire. The remedy was to grind the bracket down somewhat. Something to do with the saddle bag mounts. Either grind them down or remove them completely.

Put the bike on a lift. Remove the shocks and push the wheel up until it hits something. Grind that something down, if you can, then try again until you are satisfied no more rubbing.

Installing a 200 metz was a big thing a few years ago and there were a lot of posts regarding installing same. Maybe search and scrounge a bit for more info.

Check out this LINK

go to Advanced search, Keyword "Metz" and the two "How To" threads you will get about 15 hits.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
It resembles the typical front tire wear, on a Dunlop tire, the flat strip in the left pic.

·
Premium Member
11,382 Posts
It resembles the typical front tire wear, on a Dunlop tire, the flat strip in the left pic.
I resolved the front tire left tread wear by running the tires at 39 lbs pressure. At 36 (Harley recommended) mine did wear prematurely on the left side.
Check your tire pressure I believe it should be 40 lbs for the 2003. Maybe add a couple of pounds and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is it possible your tire/ wheel are sitting off to the left side? if so make sure your Small axle spacer is on the brake side and the thicker one on the pulley side, it might be the axle spacers were installed on the wrong side of the wheel? be worth giving that a check. Is it rubbing on your inner fender? or the belt guard? wouldnt be belt guard thats inside of the edge were the belt guard would rub... Maybe the rubber mud/rock flap behind the gas tank is rubbing? when I did my 240 install my tire rubbed that? but the 200 never rubbed anything. I would look at alignment issues that seems like a pretty flat spot. Do you ride with a passenger alot? Who installed the wheel/tire?

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Is it possible your tire/ wheel are sitting off to the left side? if so make sure your Small axle spacer is on the brake side and the thicker one on the pulley side, it might be the axle spacers were installed on the wrong side of the wheel? be worth giving that a check. Is it rubbing on your inner fender? or the belt guard? wouldnt be belt guard thats inside of the edge were the belt guard would rub... Maybe the rubber mud/rock flap behind the gas tank is rubbing? when I did my 240 install my tire rubbed that? but the 200 never rubbed anything. I would look at alignment issues that seems like a pretty flat spot. Do you ride with a passenger alot? Who installed the wheel/tire?
:them: I was thinking the very same thing.

·
Beach Bum
2,189 Posts
My wife and I both have 2004 VRSCA's and we ride a ton. She has hard saddle bags. I've been through three sets of Metzeler 200's now and she two sets of Metzeler 180's. I use 180 on hers as I didn't want to mess with grinding down the saddle bag brackets and different fasteners.

For mine, I had to cut down on my belt guard, it would rub. Also, grind off some on the inner fender (wish I had a picture for you).

Since we have identical bikes you can easily see the 200 vs 180 size and it is very noticable. As for wear/riding, I notice zero difference. I stick with the 200 as the tire price is almost the same as the 180 but it does fill up that fender much nicer and I like the flatter profile of the tire.

I've never experienced that tire wear you have. And fwiw I use 40# pressure in my tires.

Through the years, I've heard others with your wear, the reasons I heard were they turned harded to the left so it wore more, or the crown of the road causes the left side to wear more. Other than that, others recommend 40 to 42PSI.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I see you have stock springs and shocks on the bike...your tire is hitting something up underneath. You really need to get a good set of shocks so you stop bottoming out all the time. That flat spot is not from rubbing bag brackets or turning left. It's obviously rubbing underneath.

I had a problem with my bike bottoming out all the time when riding double and ended up changing shocks; went to Progressive 440s. Huge difference, no more bottoming out. Much better ride. If you can't change shocks get some stops put in those shocks. Having your tire hit under the fender at speed is not good.

Unless you've been turning left donuts a lot.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,531 Posts
I see you have stock springs and shocks on the bike...your tire is hitting something up underneath. You really need to get a good set of shocks so you stop bottoming out all the time. That flat spot is not from rubbing bag brackets or turning left. It's obviously rubbing underneath.

I had a problem with my bike bottoming out all the time when riding double and ended up changing shocks; went to Progressive 440s. Huge difference, no more bottoming out. Much better ride. If you can't change shocks get some stops put in those shocks. Having your tire hit under the fender at speed is not good.

Unless you've been turning left donuts a lot.
Good advice to check out. Is the tire rubbing. You should have been able to hear that though. Tires in the US naturally wear more on the left side anyway. Follow link, read article.
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
That looks like a pressure,an alignment problem,or the rear shocks not working the same for because one is worn or stiff,or adjusted wrong.
I think I ran 3 200's on mine before I went w the 240 and they wore even.
I ran 36 psi cold for normal cruising.40 cold would make the center wear a little faster than the sides,but it was an even wear.

Is the belt running pretty close to centered in the rear pulley?
There is usually enough slop in the right cam to play around and center it.
once you do this,lightly paint the tire with a light color,road test it and check.
If it's not still not tracking true,you will need to devise a way to put a straight edge,or lazer beam on the wheels and do a measurement for checking the front to rear alignment.The rear tire is aligned to the front with the turnbuckle at the front of the engine.This adjustment has nothing to do with the belt alignment.The engine and swing arm are as one and they articulate at the rear mount,so don't confuse what I said about the belt adjustment,although centering the belt does adjust the wheel alignment too.

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
How new is the tire? I've had four or five Metzeler 200's on my bike. The one I had on it this year wore down drastically faster (predominantly on the left side) than any of the previous tires. Alignment and suspension have not changed through all of the tires. I've since switched to a set of Avon Cobras, and so far they're wearing normally.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had the same issue and resolved by filing the belt guards and removing the inside metal brackets. There are a few posts on this but it seems bike by bike the adjustments can be different. Some resolved just by shaving a bit of the belt guards and/or shaving the brackets and/or removing the brackets so you will have to try and see if rub stops. People say that removing the brackets does not affect stability but imo it does as the back fender shakes much more and if your inner fender is made of plastic then it would probably end up cracking.... That is why on my next tire change i might just go back to 180.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
then youd shit if you seen my inner fender, or lack of.... Its made of Aluminum on the 03 and its fairly thick the sides do nothing but support the sides of the fender and the luggage rack is just extra weight if you dont use it. I went up to the 240 ;)

·
Dragon
92 Posts
try only making right turns for a month:) what pressure are you riding? that's the most common reason for a flat spot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im running 40 it is not rubbing that bad on the inner i do bottom out every now and then but there is no wear marks on the inner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts