Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just got done thoroughly cleaning my front brake pistons, and calipers, and wow what a change it made to the brake responsiveness.

I would like to do the same for the rear since I have no idea the last time it was cleaned (pads look fine). I see in the manual where if I want to take the caliper apart I have to drop the rear wheel. Really not trying to do that. If I got the pads out and used a brake cleaner to clean the inside of the caliper, would that work? Does anyone have tips for how to clean the rear one?

Thanks,
Rebel

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
I would wait until you need a new tire. Clean the caliper when changing the tire. Kill two birds with one stone.

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
Agree with RustyG - you want to take it off, clean, and probably want to get a kit and replace all the rubber bits.

And yes, it requires pulling the rear axle. No way around it if you want to do a good job.

I did mine during winter/spring downtime. Pulling the rear axle is, if it was properly lubed with anti-seize, not a huge deal, if you have a reasonable jack, and the sockets for the ends.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.