Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple weeks I have been in the market to purchase a used V-rod. I have found a good lead on a 02 with 3800 miles. Is there any reason not purchase a first model year v-rod? What problem areas should I look for on this bike?

904 Posts
They forgot to paint 'em at the factory! :rofl2:

Seriously though, it would probably be good to have a "what to look for" checklist for potential buyers in the same situation. With only 3,800 miles there certainly shouldn't be any wear-and-tear issues, more of a question of how well it was stored? There were a couple of problems with some early-issue components that have plaqued some members (front motor mount, coolant overflow bottle, fuel line issues come to mind) that were redesigned for later models -- but to my knowledge there were no major flaws or "first-year defects" that would prevent me from going for an '02. A lot of engineering and testing went into these things before they hit the showrooms.

Perhaps some of the more knowledgable members here can give you some 'field inspection' tips...

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
personally I love my 02 and wouldn't want anything different. I did find the fuel lines rubbing on a bolt under the airbox cover and used some zip ties and some rubber tubing stuff to cover it, other than that I haven't found anything wrong with mine :thumb:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Go for it. All problems are minor an addressed here on the forum. Get a service manual and with the members here you will be able to take care of them yourself. I LOVE MINE.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Chris07 said:
The last couple weeks I have been in the market to purchase a used V-rod. I have found a good lead on a 02 with 3800 miles. Is there any reason not purchase a first model year v-rod? What problem areas should I look for on this bike?

Seriously pull the tringer already! HAHA I love my 02 and I wouldnt trade it for any other VRod out there.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Nothing wrong with '02. I bought mine in July of '02 and have had no major issues at all.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
I'm close If you would like me to come take a look at it with you I'd be glad to. If/When you get it lets ride.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
If its the one I am thinking off I could met u there on mine, only 40 mins for me!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The trans update is probably the biggest difference in the early models and the late models as far as large changes go. The update trans do seem to shift better and the shift drum in the later bike was a big improvement in design. However my original 02 shift drum has 58k miles and still going strong so they weren't all bad.

I don't regret getting my 02 ever. Still the best model made. :)

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Max said:
The trans update is probably the biggest difference in the early models and the late models as far as large changes go. The update trans do seem to shift better and the shift drum in the later bike was a big improvement in design. However my original 02 shift drum has 58k miles and still going strong so they weren't all bad.

I don't regret getting my 02 ever. Still the best model made. :)
and "the man" has spoken :thumb:

·
John
2,700 Posts
My 02 with Joker 2-into-1 exhaust (black header wrap) is like combat boots (17K miles), my 06SE is like Sunday School shoes (5K).

The 02 says "f-with me..." the 06 says "I'm so pretty don't get me dirty!"

damn did I say that?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
The biggest problem is that all the 2003 and Up owners with their Painted Bikes will be horribly jealous of you and treat you like an outcast. They will start using nonsense words like Horsepower, Flames, Skulls, Orange, etc.... trying to hide their pain from NOT having an Anodized VRSCA, The way the bike is Intended to look.

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
I love my '02. The only issues I have are the ones I created myself. I lways get compliments on the anodized finish, even with some of the cosmetic problems I inheritted.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
General rule of thumb....Don't buy the first year of anything.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
tapia said:
General rule of thumb....Don't buy the first year of anything.
See what I told ya, Jealous. They didnt have no Anodized in '04, just 2 tones and the like trying to blend in with the Sportsters.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I've got to go with Lux's words of wisdom here...anodized is the look of the marque...and faster, too! :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts