Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m hoping someone could help me as I am having major problems with my bike.
When I first picked it up it ran fine then Started sounding a lot louder when ridden. It then started spluttering and broke down. After lots of cash at a Harley dealership they got it running again by replacing a damaged fuel pick up hose in the tank. (This was after making me feel like crap for having a liquid cooled Harley and acting like they had no idea what could be the issue!). The bike spluttered again yesterday and then cut out with the engine light coming on. The engine light has always stayed on after starting for approx 5 seconds. Today it decided to not start and the engine light has stayed on. It turns over but doesn’t start. I’m getting fault codes of p0263, p1003,p1351 and p1354. The engine light has also taken a while to extinguish before I could start the bike. I love my bike but I felt like I couldn’t trust it to get me anywhere reliably. Now it won’t run but does turn over so I’m desperate for help.....and not needing to pay the main dealer a fortune!!! As stated earlier it sounds really really loud like there’s an issue and I really want to sort it and get it running...... please help!! She is my pride and joy and in fantastic condition, apart from not running now!!
Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Hi all, I’m hoping someone could help me as I am having major problems with my bike.
When I first picked it up it ran fine then Started sounding a lot louder when ridden. It then started spluttering and broke down. After lots of cash at a Harley dealership they got it running again by replacing a damaged fuel pick up hose in the tank. (This was after making me feel like crap for having a liquid cooled Harley and acting like they had no idea what could be the issue!). The bike spluttered again yesterday and then cut out with the engine light coming on. The engine light has always stayed on after starting for approx 5 seconds. Today it decided to not start and the engine light has stayed on. It turns over but doesn’t start. I’m getting fault codes of p0263, p1003,p1351 and p1354. The engine light has also taken a while to extinguish before I could start the bike. I love my bike but I felt like I couldn’t trust it to get me anywhere reliably. Now it won’t run but does turn over so I’m desperate for help.....and not needing to pay the main dealer a fortune!!! As stated earlier it sounds really really loud like there’s an issue and I really want to sort it and get it running...... please help!! She is my pride and joy and in fantastic condition, apart from not running now!!
Thanks everyone!!
Isn't 03 the anniversary?
PO263 is rear injector open
P1003 is system relay open
P1351 is front ignition coil open
P1354 is rear ignition coil open.
Obvious why it ran like crap and won't start now based on all the either historic or current fault codes. There must be a common problem for all of these to occur at once. Steve will be along shortly with a better answer then I can give but for now, make sure all 3 grounds are hooked up and functional. Swap the fan relay with the system relay as another check and see if fixes it, although I don't think it would even turn over if the system relay is bad. Check ECM fuse also.
Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron, could you please let me know the location of all three grounds to make sure I’m looking in the right place please?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Ron, could you please let me know the location of all three grounds to make sure I’m looking in the right place please?
Thanks.
There are two on the heads left sides and one under the the engine rear that bolts to the frame. It will have a boot on it. I've added check ECM fuse also. Can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds when you turn the key/run switch on?
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Check battery ground wire also. Clean all connections up real good and make sure they are real good and tight. V-Rods behave rather erratically when grounds are not in good shape.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...I’m getting fault codes of p0263, p1003,p1351 and p1354. ...
I answered in your other identical thread here but I'll repeat it here:

The DTCs you posted were:
P0263: rear injector open/low (voltage reading is low)
P1003: system relay contacts open
P1351: front ignition coil open/low (voltage reading is low)
P1354: rear ignition coil open/low (voltage reading is low)​
This many low voltage DTCs for all these devices on the same circuit usually means a blown fuse or bad SYSTEM relay. Most likely it's the ECM fuse that's blown. This is in the right side fuse block next to the FAN relay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts