Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help getting info on the V-Rod and I'm starting on the first years made.
Does anyone know what date they began and went until with the silver? When with the anniversary model?

Anything else that is pertant to just these years?
Did some actually have 01 on the manufacture date?:deal:

Please add any of your knowledge about these first bikes and then we will move on to the 04's. Thanks!

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Are you talking about production years or actual day and month of actual manufacture?

I don't know how to find the actual date of manufacture.

Anything that I can tell you, I am sure you already know. 2002 was only anodized with the red painted harley davidson on the airbox, then 2003 they offered the silver with the 100th badges and the two-tone black and silver with the badges.

Somone will now politely tell me I am wrong... :)

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Are you talking about production years or actual day and month of actual manufacture?

Anything that I can tell you, I am sure you already know. 2002 was only anodized with the red painted harley davidson on the airbox, then 2003 they offered the silver with the 100th badges and the two-tone black and silver with the badges.

Somone will now politely tell me I am wrong...
:)
no I think your right (now someone will now tell me I'm wrong :D )

All I know is mine was built May of 02

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
myvrodrocks said:

Somone will now politely tell me I am wrong... :)
No, you are right. 2 factory color options for 2003 and 03 is when they started offering the custom HD paint set but they should not count here.

Proud two-tone owner here BTW.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anything else that is specific to just those 2 years?
What is the official designation of them VRSC_?
And the drive pulley was 26 toothed?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I've read on here that the 02 and 03's were not actually considered A's till they came out with the B's in 04. so if I have this correct they were just VRSC's

there was no need to designate with the A, B, AW, DX etc etc when there was only one kind, but now that there are other kinds the 02 and 03's are A models

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
The Frame color is lighter than 2004 and on, 2002 is the only year that the red lettering was on the Anodized, 2006 was Black and 2006 was Orange.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Jeff they are both vrsca models.

The 02 was the only year that had the IAT sensor in the back of the front head from the factory.

The 03 production ran for 18 months but I don't know the start and finish months, it was done because of the 100th and making more anniversary models.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Also the 02 and 03 models came stock with the 30 tooth pulley. Depending on when it was made also had the fuel flange issue. :D

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
runit1971 said:
Also the 02 and 03 models came stock with the 30 tooth pulley. Depending on when it was made also had the fuel flange issue. :D
The 03 was the only official year of the fuel flange issue I think. I'm not sure if any of the original 02's had problems or not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Original Vrsc models had a differant coolant reservoir cap, and the frame paint wasn't as irredescent as on the 03's and later bikes.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
In reference to frame color, '04 A models got the new "Silver Leaf" powder coat on the frames. I believe the A models still have this to date.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
They were all "A" models until '04. '02 and '03 frames were powder coated. The '03 anodized was not an "anniversary model" and did not have the anniversary badges. The "Anniversary Model" was painted two tone, not anodized, and had the badges. My '02 never did have the fuel flange problem, but the fuel sender strip failed once (and my dealer replaced the whole assembly while I waited:) ). The date of manufacture is etched on the left side of the frame with all the other information. All VRSC models had 30 tooth drive sprockets until some time in '04.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
vroder said:
They were all "A" models until '04. '02 and '03 frames were powder coated. The '03 anodized was not an "anniversary model" and did not have the anniversary badges. The "Anniversary Model" was painted two tone, not anodized, and had the badges. My '02 never did have the fuel flange problem, but the fuel sender strip failed once (and my dealer replaced the whole unit while I waited:) ). The date of manufacture is etched on the left side of the frame with all the other information. All VRSC models had 30 tooth drive sprockets until some time in '04.
Pascal has a 2003 Anodized with those awful badges on them.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
luxlamf said:
Pascal has a 2003 Anodized with those awful badges on them.
Is the frame marked as an anniversary model? This would be in association with all the other info.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
vroder said:
Is the frame marked as an anniversary model? This would be in association with all the other info.
HE is in France right now so I cannot ask Him, but the Engine has the little awful Badge too.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The 03 was the only year that had a different logo on the left side below the rear head. It was a 100th logo and the case was made different so the logo fit inside a raised area.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll be back off the road in a few days and put this together as we have so far and see if we have any conflicting info- thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
vroder said:
They were all "A" models until '04. '02 and '03 frames were powder coated. The '03 anodized was not an "anniversary model" and did not have the anniversary badges. The "Anniversary Model" was painted two tone, not anodized, and had the badges. My '02 never did have the fuel flange problem, but the fuel sender strip failed once (and my dealer replaced the whole assembly while I waited:) ). The date of manufacture is etched on the left side of the frame with all the other information. All VRSC models had 30 tooth drive sprockets until some time in '04.

Lux is correct - the 03 anodized is indeed an anniversary model and it did come with all the anniversary paraphenelia (badges on tank but also tiny ones on the side of each cylinder).
Best looking one of the lot if you ask me - only possible improvement is adding matching saddlebags:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts