Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the click of dread. So I put a direct drive push button on and got the same issue. Changed starter relay. Still same issue. Changed starter and same issue. With bike in neutral lights and fuel pump kick on but when hit the start button light shut off and click one time no roll or anything. Put new battery in and still the same thing. I am really beating my head into a wall here. I can bump the bike off and it runs fine. Just will not start at all any other way. Any help would be great. I even went direct from battery to starter bypassing the relay and all it does is turn the headlight and passing lights off.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Wrong Forum
For a 01 Road King Classic.
This is the home of VRSC's
Not FL's

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
I even went direct from battery to starter bypassing the relay and all it does is turn the headlight and passing lights off.
Have you measured the new battery voltage? Checked the battery earth/ground wire connection? Sounds like a dead/frozen starter.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I had the click of dread. So I put a direct drive push button on and got the same issue. Changed starter relay. Still same issue. Changed starter and same issue. With bike in neutral lights and fuel pump kick on but when hit the start button light shut off and click one time no roll or anything. Put new battery in and still the same thing. I am really beating my head into a wall here. I can bump the bike off and it runs fine. Just will not start at all any other way. Any help would be great. I even went direct from battery to starter bypassing the relay and all it does is turn the headlight and passing lights off.
Thanks for visiting 😆 Your last sentence indicates a cable high resistance issue. Battery to starter direct, it should have no choice to engage it, if the wiring can support the load.
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have put a new starter on it and tried to go direct to the batter with external wiring. Still nothing. Im stumped

·
Registered
642 Posts
Check voltage drop both power and ground side of the circuit-
Digital volt meter from pos post of the battery to pos post of the starter. Then neg battery to starter ground (case of the starter).
try starting- the meter is measuring the difference between the 2 test leads- shouldn’t be more than .3 volts. Any more indicates high resistance/bad connections

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Going direct from battery should have started the bike with a new starter
Not sure how you went direct without some disassembly of the unit. The main cable goes to the plunger/solenoid. When you trigger the solenoid wire the coil in the solenoid housing pulls the plunger back and completes the connection internally to the motor itself and extends the bendix, same time. Starter motor only, a positive and negative and it's an electric motor. I can see possibly the old one bad but not a new one. As for the solenoid contacts, there's a kit you can get to replace the old corroded up ones if you find that is the issue. Common problem with them.
Ron

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ron is correct- and the voltage drop test will indicate if that’s the issue. Don’t forget the ground side of the circuit too…..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts