Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a normal behavior for the engine light to go on after a while (for a 2nd time) and go off 5 second later?

I don’t recall seeing this before. Just at the very beginning of the engine start.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Is this a normal behavior for the engine light to go on after a while (for a 2nd time) and go off 5 second later?

I don’t recall seeing this before. Just at the very beginning of the engine start.

Thanks,
This is indicating a historic code. Meaning there was a problem and not at the moment. Most times this happens when someone fails to plug a sensor in before turning the key on. Most times the IAT, or could be any of them. It could have been a voltage issue as well Do a code search and find out what it is so you know, and then clear it and see if the light stays off after that. It will also clear the historic code after x number of good startups if the problem is no longer there. Don't remember how many so guessing at 50 or so.
Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron! That makes sense.

A week ago, while driving thru the canyons, the engine light and the battery light started going on and off frequently.

I returned home and turned off the bike. 3 minutes later I tried to start the bike again and everything was dead. No lights, no sound. Like the battery went totally dead.

I went to check the battery and I found out that one of the cables (+) was kind of loose. After tighting it the bike started like nothing happen. But I realized that the ckeck engine was behaving diferently now.

As per your suggestion I checked the error codes (I have the Electrical manual) and I found these two errors:

P0113 "current" IAT sensor open/high
P0562 "historic" Battery Voltage Low

That solved the mistery.

I'm not sure about that the IAT sensor error is related to this problem. That's a Current error. Any idea?

BTW, I found that I have to replace the Rear Breake Sensor (bypassing the cables the stop light works fine). I already got one. Do you know if is necesary to flush the rear break after replacing the sensor?

Thanks again for your quick help!

Diego

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Thanks Ron! That makes sense.

A week ago, while driving thru the canyons, the engine light and the battery light started going on and off frequently.

I returned home and turned off the bike. 3 minutes later I tried to start the bike again and everything was dead. No lights, no sound. Like the battery went totally dead.

I went to check the battery and I found out that one of the cables (+) was kind of loose. After tighting it the bike started like nothing happen. But I realized that the ckeck engine was behaving diferently now.

As per your suggestion I checked the error codes (I have the Electrical manual) and I found these two errors:

P0113 "current" IAT sensor open/high
P0562 "historic" Battery Voltage Low

That solved the mistery.

I'm not sure about that the IAT sensor error is related to this problem. That's a Current error. Any idea?

BTW, I found that I have to replace the Rear Breake Sensor (bypassing the cables the stop light works fine). I already got one. Do you know if is necesary to flush the rear break after replacing the sensor?

Thanks again for your quick help!

Diego
No connection to sensor and brake flluid although the flushes should be done every two years and the ABS unit cycled as part of the process. The Current IAT code, could be the sensor or wiring to it. Here's the resistance if you want to check the sensor.
Ron

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts