Faulty Starter Solenoid Help - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-12-2005, 05:17 AM   #1
Elqueso
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Faulty Starter Solenoid Help

Can any one help out with the prodedures for checking for a bad starter solenoid?

I have changed the battery and reseated the wires to the solenoid multiple times per other forum other posts about the probelm and still intermittently get the "click" noise several times from the starter relay before turning over.

Before I replace the starter solenoid, which looks like the exhaust system will have to be removed to get to the connection on the starter I want to make sure it's a bad starter solenoid.

Thanks Elqueso
Elqueso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 06:59 AM   #2
Sam_A
Registered Confuser

Here's my shade tree diagnostic:

- Lift the rubber cover on the back of the solinoid and check to see if you get 12 volts on the small clip terminals when the starter button is pressed.
--If you do get 12 V the relay is good, solinoid or starter may be bad. See if the starter is good by jumping the heavy terminals of the solinoid. I used a large screwdriver across the terminals, it will spark, but its safe if your not stupid. Make sure the bike is in N and power is ON and in RUN. IF THE STARTER IS GOOD THE ENGINE WILL TURN OVER! So do what you would do if you were starting the bike!
--If you didnt get the 12 V, then check the relay.

Also check the battery ground strap. They have been known to get loose.
Maximum Chrome
Dbl barrel pipes, filter, flash
Topless
Blue Gauges & V-Gauge
Powder coated calipers, polished rotors
Sam_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:01 AM   #3
Vrod-Brad
The Instigator!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Elqueso,

I had the same problem, it's usually the selenoid by the radiator on the jiffy stand side of the bike. Most often a loose wire - I had the same problem....check it and hopefully you'll be on the way.

Brad (Vrod1958)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-002s.jpg
Views:	2585
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	30440  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Anodized Member #1118
Vrod-Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #4
vrodfl
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elqueso
Can any one help out with the prodedures for checking for a bad starter solenoid?

I have changed the battery and reseated the wires to the solenoid multiple times per other forum other posts about the probelm and still intermittently get the "click" noise several times from the starter relay before turning over.

Before I replace the starter solenoid, which looks like the exhaust system will have to be removed to get to the connection on the starter I want to make sure it's a bad starter solenoid.

Thanks Elqueso
Had the same problem-in my case the the wire lugs that push into the solenoid had expanded and were not making a tight contact.
The solution was to squeeze the lugs with pliers to make the fit tight when pushed on.
You can also get this effect if the battery wires are not tight , lots of clik click click.
Good luck !
Dan
vrodfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Dirk_Pitt
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrod1958
Elqueso,

I had the same problem, it's usually the selenoid by the radiator on the jiffy stand side of the bike. Most often a loose wire - I had the same problem....check it and hopefully you'll be on the way.

Brad (Vrod1958)
Brad

I ASSuME that picture is from your 03 vrod???
Dirk_Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
Vrod-Brad
The Instigator!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Dirk_Pitt,

It's not my actual picture but it's my '03 setup. Wiggle the wires and its starts...
Crappy setup if my opinion means anything.....

Good luck to all...

Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Anodized Member #1118
Vrod-Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
Dirk_Pitt
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrod1958
Dirk_Pitt,

It's not my actual picture but it's my '03 setup. Wiggle the wires and its starts...
Crappy setup if my opinion means anything.....

Good luck to all...

Brad
Brad

I just went outside and looked again at mine and it is like your picture...
Dirk_Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
Elqueso
Registered Full

Sam, Thanks for the troubleshooting gouge. I have done the wire check on the solenoid and all seems snug. When I get the clicking, I jiggle the wires around with no effect, so my guess is that it's the solenoid going bad. I will get out the voltmeter and give it a check tommorrow.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:31 AM   #9
Elqueso
Registered Full

Checked the wires into the starter solenoid and get 12V with the starte switch engaged, Bike starts with a jumper bypass of the solenoid. Checked the crappy connections about 10 times.....ordered the solenoid and am waiting for it to come in.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:11 AM   #10
sparks'n'dust
Banned

Make sure all connections are nice and tight. At the battery, the main ground on the rocker cover, at the maxi fuse, at the solenoid and to the starter.
sparks'n'dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:36 AM   #11
Elqueso
Registered Full

Thanks Sparks neglected to say that I checked all the connections on the advice of all the posts out there. I do have a question though, On Vrod1958's post, it showed the green wire located on the inside closest to the engine

Can anyone with a 02 check to see if that is where it is on your solenoid?

I had work on my bike last winter from the dealer and never noticed it before, but the green wire was locted on the outside of the solenoid closest to the footpeg, This may have caused the solenoid to fail??; BTW the bike turned over great with no problems for 3 months after the dealer work. Thanks for all the Help!!

Elqueso
Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 AM   #12
Elqueso
Registered Full

Here's a follow up:

1) Per the forum, Checked all the connections, multiple times, starter solenoid, relay, and battery. Still had the problem intermittently

2) Thought I had a bad battery, 3 years old and the alarm had run it down the week before the problem started. Changed the battery, still had the probem

3) Got stuck at a friends house as even with over 30 attempts with just the clicking noise of the starter relay engaging, jumpered the relay with the help of a socket wrench and a screw driver (thanks to SAM A) to get me started and back to my garage

4) Got out the voltemeter, checked the wires coming from the relay to the solenoid, got 12 volts each time I pressed the start switch...waited for a week and a half to get the solenoid from the dealer; installed it today. Still clicking, no start

5) Remembered a post about, switching the fan relay with the starter relay for trouble shooting.....They are the same one, so despite getting 12v to the solenoid on hitting the start switch. guess what, started up w/ no problem, back to the dealer 5 mins before closing; got the new $4 relay and problem solved, with only $100 for a new battery, solenoid, stranded bike and near electricution....by the way important safety tip even with the maxi fuse removed the wire from the battery into the starter solenoid is still hot.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:19 AM   #13
sparks'n'dust
Banned

Oh yeah!!! This reminds me of a similar explanation for earlier BigTwins starter clutch failure within short periods of time even on a stock motor. The starter switch itself up at the bar becomes corroded and so causes a voltage drop at the relay, which in turn flutters causing the solenoid to wraek havoc on the starter clutch. Pelace the clutch, rebuild the solenoid, new relay and start switch - and hey presto!
sparks'n'dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:26 AM   #14
Sam_A
Registered Confuser

Glad to see your back on the road again. So what was it, the relay or the solinoid?
Maximum Chrome
Dbl barrel pipes, filter, flash
Topless
Blue Gauges & V-Gauge
Powder coated calipers, polished rotors
Sam_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:24 AM   #15
handydan
The Orange Guy

Feedback Score: 111 reviews
no more problems is always great news.good post and good help.It is the members that make this a great forum.
handydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement