Is it possible to remove light scratches from chrome? - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
dAgent
Dave

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rti5fs View Post
You will always get an opinion on the Forum, some helpful and some not. I have pasted what WIKI answers says about removing minor scratches in chrome. "Believe it or not, use simple old toothpaste! NOT A GEL TOOTHPASTE, but the best is Baking Soda toothpaste "Arm & Hammer" if you can get it. Use a very soft close and dip it in the toothpaste and go in circular motions and then wipe clean with a soft dry cloth. You won't get it all out, but, it will take the worse away." Probably will not look like new but will be imporved.
That is interesting, have you tried this yourself?
dAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #17
Sharkey
Sharks-Parts

Feedback Score: 105 reviews
toothpaste is like using semi-chrome.... not good for brand new chrome but will polish up used chrome.

using 00000 fine steel wool with the semi-chrome (toothpaste) will do the best job . IMHO...

for new chrome use neverdull because it has NO abrasive material and will not leave behind swirls like the semi-chrome (toothpaste) does to new chrome...

A scratch in chrome that is only on the surface can be buffed/polished out. on a scratch that goes through the chrome you will need to polish the metal under the chrome in the scratch to hide it...just my 2 cents worth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the above information in this post in my opinion only....I recomend you check my advise with an expert....use this info at your own risk
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #18
Diamond Lil
Still here, sort of

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What about the thought that polishing out any scratch on chrome will thin the plate and leave an even larger area susceptible to pitting and further deterioration?

Not fitting any of the severely limited views of women who ride motorcycles.

Dim-witted drivers don't do well with surprises.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest In Peace Jeannie

Rest in Peace Alex

Diamond Lil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I am surprised at some of the answers here. I find a good polish with AutoSol Solvol removes light scratches on chrome with no problem. Like T Cut on paint, you can potentially damage the chrome with too much enthusiasm, but normally it seems fine.

I would not use a power tool.

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Platers polish after chroming.
Chrome has build thickness as opposed to anodize and if not scratched through to the base substrate can be polished.
You be removing plating thickness ass you go so over indulgence could see you wear through. And as others have mentioned the reduced thickness makes the substrate more suseptible to pitting and or rust.
It is however theoretically possible.
How much work you want to put into it is another matter.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #21
dAgent
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Shop View Post
toothpaste is like using semi-chrome.... not good for brand new chrome but will polish up used chrome.

using 00000 fine steel wool with the semi-chrome (toothpaste) will do the best job . IMHO...

for new chrome use neverdull because it has NO abrasive material and will not leave behind swirls like the semi-chrome (toothpaste) does to new chrome...

A scratch in chrome that is only on the surface can be buffed/polished out. on a scratch that goes through the chrome you will need to polish the metal under the chrome in the scratch to hide it...just my 2 cents worth
I think you are right on, plus I found this nice short "how to" write up that reinforces what you say:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4524322_remo...om-chrome.html

Looks like I need to get me some fine steel wool.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #22
ohioVROD

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I use 0000 aka Quad Steel Wool and chrome liquid polish on my VRod and 67 E-Type. My father taught me this years ago and its the only way I do it.

Authorized dealer for Vance & Hines, MegaCycle Cams, CP Pistons, Brown's Plating, Carrilo Rods, ARP Studs, Falicon Crankshafts and Diamond Heads.

Services offered: Case Boring-26T Pulley-58mm Throttle Body-Slotting Sprockets-Pinning of Bearings-Custom Machined Wheels & Rear Pulleys- Engine Brace Kit

Contact us at

ohioVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #23
Sharkey
Sharks-Parts

super fine 00000 steel wool is one of those tricks that works kinda like newspaper on glass....

I was a little kid when my father taught me about it also....just keep it away from the pos battery post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioVROD View Post
I use 0000 aka Quad Steel Wool and chrome liquid polish on my VRod and 67 E-Type. My father taught me this years ago and its the only way I do it.

the above information in this post in my opinion only....I recomend you check my advise with an expert....use this info at your own risk
Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #24
dAgent
Dave

Where can I buy 00000 steel wool, all I can find is the 0000 grade.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
Sharkey
Sharks-Parts

0000 should be good to go. remember to always pick an out of the way test spot to see if the chrome is of good quality and won't scratch from the steel wool.

also rub lightly and alway use a clean spot on you shop towel when wiping/polishing with chrome cleaner. also if you wash the part first will mild soap and water you will be sure to get any road film off before polishing.

we will be waiting to hear how you polished out the scratches and how it looks...

Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #26
rti5fs
Silver Bullet

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone have before and after pictures? Apparently it works sometimes and can go wrong at other times. Little to no abrasive and very fine steel wool seem to be common denominators of what works. I have never been successful in getting scratches out of chrome but that may have been because mine were not that minor.

Speaking of getting scratches out, has anyone had real success getting the blue out of the chrome on exhaust pipes? I tried once with blue away and it just dulled the chrome. It removed some of the blue but not all the discoloration.

rti5fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
dAgent
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rti5fs View Post
Does anyone have before and after pictures? Apparently it works sometimes and can go wrong at other times. Little to no abrasive and very fine steel wool seem to be common denominators of what works. I have never been successful in getting scratches out of chrome but that may have been because mine were not that minor.

Speaking of getting scratches out, has anyone had real success getting the blue out of the chrome on exhaust pipes? I tried once with blue away and it just dulled the chrome. It removed some of the blue but not all the discoloration.
I tried taking a picture of my scratches yesterday, I wanted to do a before and after, I think I took like 20 of them and none of them showed anything, is seem like it is almost impossible to photograph chrome. All I can do now is tell you guys what happens, I just need to find some 00000 steel wool because that is what all the articles say to use. All I have been able to find is the 0000 grade wool but I feel like that might not be fine enough to buff with.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #28
Sharkey
Sharks-Parts

I highly suggest you get some used pieces of chrome and practice with the steel wool and polish before you try it on a show piece.

what is it you are trying to polish?

Old 01-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #29
dAgent
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Shop View Post
I highly suggest you get some used pieces of chrome and practice with the steel wool and polish before you try it on a show piece.

what is it you are trying to polish?
My V&H powershots main back shield or cover. They want like $200 for that thing new. You are right with the trying, now where am i going to get some scrap chrome for practice.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #30
Sharkey
Sharks-Parts

check with the furniture restoration places in your area for the 00000 steel wool. send me a PM with your address and I will ship you a couple used chrome parts to practice on....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement