Possible fix for older fuel gauges. - Page 6 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #76
D Teutsch

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
low fuel bad idea

Great fix for a piss poor fuel guage. I just replaced my fuel pump, filter, ECM, etc., etc. Bad fuel is zero tolerance for VRod. When fuel guage gets into yellow, go top off tank. The gas cools the fuel pump!! It will overheat and fry the ecm. Also whatever fuel management comp you have too. Word of caution. The ecm and pump aint cheap! Now she runs like the wicked beast in heat!! Keep it FULL of the best gas, and DONT use as treatments orther than a touch of raceing fuel now and then, or we bit of octane boost. This works!
D Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #77
swtalbot
She f...in Hates me!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
fuel pump cooling

The fuel cools the pump by passing through the inside! There is minimal cooling added from the fuel surrounding the outside of the pump. If you have a blocked fuel filter this makes the pump work harder
and will over heat it. No amount of fuel in the tank will prevent this from happening. These pumps are designed to run in or out of fuel.
PC III, K & N filter
Forward controls
5 Gallon UE tank
Vance & Hines Double Barrel Exhaust
200 Metzler, Progressive 440 rears
Custom swing arm pivot caps By Superchicken
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Derby And Clutch cover from Superchicken
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
swtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #78
Mikeee
Registered Full

My fuel gage was a little "wonky" when I first got this bike, but just as a preventive measure, I added about 4 ounces of Schaeffer's "Neutra" fuel system cleaner to make sure the injectors and whatnot were spotless. After a few tanks of fuel with Neutra added, my fuel gage seems to be working quite well. *shrugs shoulders*
I know some GM vehicles' gages will start working correctly with some Techron concentrate added to the fuel for a couple tankfuls. Maybe that's all it needed. The science behind the Techron fix was that ethanol blends tend to strip any tarry substances off the tank walls, etc. and they land on the sending unit. The Techron dissolves these deposits. If I'm not mistaken, there's even a GM TSB on the subject.
Mikeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #79
DarkTari
DarkTari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokewagonokc View Post
Tried that and a rubber strap wrench. Won't budge.
And no one here has tried a large pair of slip-locks ????
I'm installing piezo sirens to the HD alarm tonight so I'll give 'em a try....
Street Stalker..

Too Much To List ......Come take a look !

DarkTari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #80
Gumbysbuff
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cycle the run switch..

Whenever I start or turn on my bike and get empty or the wrong reading, I have found a quick fix.

-----------
First of all, I always have my bike on "run" (turn it on and off with the key, and you won't ever get a dead battery from the headlight staying on during a lunch....as I found out on my first group ride....go figure..), so when I turn my bike on with the key, It's already in the run position. -This has nothing to do with the fix, it's just an FYI-

-------------

When you turn the bike Ignition On, and have the switch on the Run position, and the gas guage shows empty or low, and you know it's not...
Click the run/off switch to off..wait 2 seconds... switch it to run... and magically it slowly raises to your current level. This won't take more than 5 seconds for a full tank. VOIALLA, you're done! This has worked every time for my bike atleast.
I personally use the trip meter, but it is still nice to see the gas guage running as a backup. }:-)

Let me know if this works for you too, as like I said... it has worked every time for me, and takes only a few extra seconds before you start the bike.

If you have the problem of your tank not EVER reading any gas, this prob won't help.... but if it's the 50% of the time the gas guage is wrong, this should fix it (for a while atleast).

'05 VRSCB
Gumbysbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #81
blubyubusa
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
non alcohol gas

The vast majority of the available non alcohol gas in this area is 89 octane. I thought these bikes required 91. I would like to get the non alcohol but have been concerned with the octane. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas. This is in response to the issue of good fuel causing fewer problems for the fuel sending unit.
blubyubusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #82
Ernie82
boredom kills

Spammer reported

03 with lots of chrome
07 GT500 Convertible
disposable late model commuter cars
CBR954RR - sold
I edit typos not content
Ernie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #83
rbabos
Registered Full

I'm surprised nobody has addapted a capacitance sending unit to these bikes. No moving parts and 100% reliable.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #84
tripleted
Registered Full

[QUOTE=rjrivero;1604396]Has anyone else tried this fix? I'm looking for a follow up report.

Thanks.

Yes, I have used this fix and it has worked on my bike for 4 years and counting. Be very careful when working with the large opening of the fuel tank exposed and disconnect the maxi fuse before you start work. Not a bad idea to cover the opening,have a fire exingisher,and maybe work outside if possible and not raining.

Sea foam is good to through in you fuel tank for storage and I do notice a tendency for the fuel gauge to stick for the first rides of the season after sitting for 5 months.
Imported orange/black US VRSCR model. Drilled airbox, Amsoil air filter, V&H 2:1, Direct Link with Dyno [email protected] RWHP & 80 ft.pounds of torque, chrome engine gaurds with kuryakyn highway pegs, chrome passanger footpeg mounts, "B" model handlebars and clutch line, Supersport windshield, chrome headlight visor, swingarm covers, chrome upper and lower belt gaurds, rear rack and sissy bar, 1" rear shock lowering kit.
tripleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #85
Olds13
Premium Member

If you're asking about the late Steppenwolf's fix, I did it too. My fuel gauge has been rock solid - wrong - since my repair. So I'd say the suggested fix is real, and I probably didn't do it quite right - either leaving too much resistance or not enough...
I've learned to recognize the low fuel light and empty gauge at 60 miles (half tank) ever since the fix - but at least it works...
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #86
tripleted
Registered Full

gas gauge

Yes, I did use Steppenwolf's post to repair my sender unit. But 4 years later, on my first ride of the year, it went from 3/4 full to empty in about 2 minutes. I took the sender unit out again and cleaned the metal bar that the float slides up and down lightly with a SOS pad to remove a black build up of whatever. Problem solved. Sea foam didnt help me this winter.
Imported orange/black US VRSCR model. Drilled airbox, Amsoil air filter, V&H 2:1, Direct Link with Dyno [email protected] RWHP & 80 ft.pounds of torque, chrome engine gaurds with kuryakyn highway pegs, chrome passanger footpeg mounts, "B" model handlebars and clutch line, Supersport windshield, chrome headlight visor, swingarm covers, chrome upper and lower belt gaurds, rear rack and sissy bar, 1" rear shock lowering kit.
tripleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #87
Tushkah

Just got off the phone wtih Harley "Customer Service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanger View Post
Here is the Sea Foam website with all the info below. Our Wal-Marts up north at least where I am don't have it. I get it at a Menards, home depot or probably a Lowes I would assume has it. Otherwise just a hardware store.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
Thanks for this post, HD's solution was for me to buy and pay for a kit to swap it to the new system for $798.00 Plus Install expenses!

They have teflon-coated themselves so well to cover this bad part, why couldn't they have coated that contact strip with something that protected the strip from sulfur in fuel additives????
Tushkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #88
JRROD
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushkah View Post
Thanks for this post, HD's solution was for me to buy and pay for a kit to swap it to the new system for $798.00 Plus Install expenses!

They have teflon-coated themselves so well to cover this bad part, why couldn't they have coated that contact strip with something that protected the strip from sulfur in fuel additives????
The new "sonar sensor" cannot be fitted into the older "Float sensor"
The Resistor Strip is no longer available without the purchase of the entire fuel module assy. Sounds like someone is bending you over seeing how the entire fuel module assy part# 75123-01 list for $394.99
JRROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #89
JRROD
Registered Full

As for the original post from Steppenwolf (RIP) I had to change my fuel filter and figured what the heck, I'll try the possible fix. I had tried several times before just cleaning the sender strip per the TSB. Every time it would work for about 3-4 tanks of fuel and then would go back to the inaccurate readings again.

After performing the "Fix" which I did a month and a half ago and 1500 miles. I am happy to report so far so good. The gauge is stable and works better than it ever has, even after I cleaned the strip previously. I will keep a eye on it and give updates.
JRROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #90
hammdo
Registered Full

Techron and Marvels Mystery Oil and my gauge has worked after the 4th fill-up just fine! 2 oz of Marvels per gallon and 1oz of Techron per gallon filled and it's worked fine on my '03

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement