Weekend Trips & Bags - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Dukecityevo
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weekend Trips & Bags

I have a luggage question concerning taking weekend trips on the DX. In the past, on another bike, it was easy by strapping a T Bag to the backrest. On the DX, in order to attach a T Bag, I would have to add a backrest along with the base plate, which I really prefer not doing. Another option is throw over saddle bags. My concern with this option is ugly bags supports that keep the bag from hitting the rear wheel. The other concern is the bags rubbing and scratching the fender. I know if I go by myself, I can just strap a bag to the rear seat. Not a problem. If I take a passenger, Iím not sure how to take our luggage with us. I really donít want to load the bike on a trailer just because I canít haul our luggage. I really would like some suggestions of what everyone else is using.
Thanks,
Ed
Dukecityevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
metallica0099
Sua Sponte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukecityevo
I have a luggage question concerning taking weekend trips on the DX. In the past, on another bike, it was easy by strapping a T Bag to the backrest. On the DX, in order to attach a T Bag, I would have to add a backrest along with the base plate, which I really prefer not doing. Another option is throw over saddle bags. My concern with this option is ugly bags supports that keep the bag from hitting the rear wheel. The other concern is the bags rubbing and scratching the fender. I know if I go by myself, I can just strap a bag to the rear seat. Not a problem. If I take a passenger, I’m not sure how to take our luggage with us. I really don’t want to load the bike on a trailer just because I can’t haul our luggage. I really would like some suggestions of what everyone else is using.
Thanks,
Ed
You can put a base plate on with no fender modifications. There are already holes on the fender under the passenger pillion for you to put a baseplate on. The pillion is really easy to remove and replace. I have had mine off all the time and only put it on for trips and such. Recently I installed it on my buddy's bike in about 10 minutes in the middle of a ride because his girl was hurtin without a backrest. Literally, 10 minutes to put it on. Then you would have no problem putting a luggage rack on the baseplate and strapping a bag to the backrest.
Also, and I hate to tell you this, but you're kinda screwed if you want to travel 2 up with a lot of luggage on these things. You bought the wrong bike for that kind of riding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
metallica0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
For X-mas I got a set of Cortech throwover Sportbike bags.
They are nylon with foam pads on the inner sides. The straps connecting them are velcro adjustable to draw them up and closer together so that they do not interfere with the wheel/tire in anyway. When cinched up to where the bag tops are just below or level with the passenger seat they fit between the shocks and turn lamps.
Check picture, though I got them in black, not the red shown.
They are very similar to the HD nylon bags and like the HD bags come with pull over rain covers.
Price $135
If you like I can take a photo this weekend of them on my bike as a better actual example than the sportbike pictured below.
Additionally they have a zip open expansion area like luggage for increased internal room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c_31_1_n_0.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	101549  

Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Dukecityevo
Registered Full

I hear you about long distance rides & tons of luggage. Curently I have a Softail for that until I sell it. I'm thinking of one bag to head to local rallies like Durango & Ruidoso. Further rallies like Laughlin yes I will be a trailer queen.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Ed
Old 01-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
metallica0099
Sua Sponte

Quote:
I hear you about long distance rides & tons of luggage. Curently I have a Softail for that until I sell it. I'm thinking of one bag to head to local rallies like Durango & Ruidoso. Further rallies like Laughlin yes I will be a trailer queen.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Ed
I have no problem with a trailer. Hell, we trailered ours to Durango last summer in lieu of riding and I was much happier because of all the extra necessities we could bring. Plus, my ass starts to hurt after a few hours. And so what if its my own fault, that sundowner seat may be comfy but its fugly and distorts the look of the bike IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
metallica0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Dukecityevo
Registered Full

rc4man,
If it's not too much trouble to take a picture, that would be great. Can you remove the bag on the passenger portion and just have the 2 bags on the sides in order to take a passenger?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Quote:
rc4man,
If it's not too much trouble to take a picture, that would be great. Can you remove the bag on the passenger portion and just have the 2 bags on the sides in order to take a passenger?
I did not get the center bag, thats a separate item.
I'll shoot a pic this weekend.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Dukecityevo
Registered Full

I always go to Durango. Last year I decided to go to Thunder in the Rockies, the one in Loveland. I did trailer it out to COS and then rode the rest of the way. Great rally if you never been. Most of the time I'll be solo but I want an option to bring along some cloths and a passenger.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
henderst
Tracey

RC4man I have those same bags in black I bought for the Ninja I traded in..... had not even thought that they might work on the V-Rod! Will have to try that.
henderst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Bag photos, shown installed, straps attach to turn signal stalk and around shock spacer, when removed bags have handle to be carried as luggage, also shown in combination with my HD overnight bag.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0607.JPG
Views:	765
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	101833   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0608.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	101834   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0610.JPG
Views:	719
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	101835   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0611.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	101836   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0612.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	101837  

Name:	CIMG0613.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	101838   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0614.JPG
Views:	570
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	101839   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0615.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	101840   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0616.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	101841  
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
lakedrunk
1130cc.comaholic

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
almost the same as the Cortech, there's a new member from Nelson-Rigg. He's posted some pictures in this thread...
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71757

Loyal member Coonass Fan Club - Midwest Chapter

lakedrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
tray
That U in my mirror?

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have one of these in Medium size for weekend trips. Just me, no wife, couldn't fit all her stuff in this. I just need underwear and toothbrush and I'm good to go.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/harleygallery.htm

2006 SE2 - Topless, SERT, Rinehart 2-1, Rick's Tank, Slipper Clutch, Progressive 440's rear with Progressive Fork springs, 8.5" Renegade "Venice" wheel with 260Metz (courtesy of HogPro), Lyndall Brake Pads, Custom Paint by Cutting Edge Illusions (formerly JE Illusions), LED's by Custom Dynamics. Kuryakyn ISO grips and Pegs, GR Custom Side Mount Plate.

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there. - Edwin Louis Cole
tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
3OliveMartini
Ms. Subtle

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
here are my cortechs mounted with the cortech tail bag

Some one didnt love you enough when you were little, did they?

3OliveMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
Youngzee
Safe and sound

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OliveMartini
here are my cortechs mounted with the cortech tail bag
What size bags are those, Elizabeth?

Big Chief of the Toecutters M/C

Official member of the "I fed the dogs like baby birds" Spring Fling drinking team.
Youngzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
kfrey95
Trailers R 4 Boats

I have a Cool, SAC set and a set of removable sadle bags.
http://www.coolsac.com/ProductGroup.aspx?page=1&SKU=310-css300l!studgrp&category_code=LUGGAGE
They served me well during my trip from the DC area to Texas. Water proof inserts came in handy in Louisanna. Aside from all the crap it permitted to take, including a laptop, it worked well as a back rest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0019.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	101857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0139.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	101858  
ViVID 07 DX, K&N, Rinehart/Midas/Harley 2 into1 Exhaust, VFRI-D Fuel Mgmt System, Reduced reach bars, ISO grips, Stainless clutch and custom brake lines, Black Powder coated controls, Relocated Turn Signals on Powder coated mounts, Super Brace (powder Coated), 250 mm Dunlop tire.

kfrey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement