Road rash and other MC injurys - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Imdubious

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Post Road rash and other MC injurys

After my first and hopefully last encounter with road rash. I was trying to find info on tips and trick and helpful remedies for motorcycle injuries, mostly road rash,. After searching the forums I did not find anything. Iím hoping this get a sticky (somewhere in the forum) so that all could add and get info from the unfortunate experience some of us have! I will try to keep a list up to date on the first page. So people donít have to search have for the info. If I have missed something in my search sorry and please let me know.

Things I have found:

Distilled water and Jonson & Jonson baby shampoo are great for cleaning (does not burn in wounds)

2nd skin moist burn pads (made by advanced first aid) covered in (Neosporin +pain relief) is the best bandages. They donít stick to the wound at all and turn blood and ooze in to a jelly so it very easy to clean.
Imdubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Imdubious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdubious
Master Info list:
1.Distilled water and Jonson & Jonson baby shampoo are great for cleaning (does not burn in wounds)

2.2nd skin moist burn pads (made by advanced first aid) covered in (Neosporin +pain relief) is the best bandages. They donít stick to the wound at all and turn blood and ooze in to a jelly so it very easy to clean.

3.FBrider/vrod:A doctor friend advises us to use preperation H. Yep, the Hemroid stuff. Basically it's the stuff one nneds to help with the road rash.

4.pwrman:Ask your pharmacist for xeroform, great stuff for road rash, burns and more serious wounds.
Like when you can see your knee cap because you have no skin left covering it.

5. Vrodriding: They put some stuff called sylvadine (sp) on me at the hospital after my wreck it worked pretty good! you can get it at any pharmacy just have your doc write you a script! I have quite a bit left, but I am keeping it you can never be to safe lol! Oh but dont use it on your face, they made sure to tell me that about 100 times! Use bacetrycine (sp) for that! Silvidine on the face leads to tatooo like color changes. NEVER USE SILVIDINE ON THE FACE/NECK.

6.baldharleydude: a jar of kerosene. Turns out it's an old farmers' trick we had always used on injured horses & farm animals. Nasty as it sounds, he simply washed the wounds with the kerosene. Completely cool & painless, and it just melted all the tar and road grime right away. Once everything was cleaned up, I soaked for a while in the bathtub. Afterwards, we went ahead with the conventional ointments and bandaging, but the kerosene spared me having to go to the ER to have a nurse scrub out the raw meat with a toothbrush and iodine, which I wouldn't wish on anyone!

Last edited by rjrivero; 12-14-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: SILVIDINE WARNING.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
LIUNARep
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Some of the best info that I hope I never use. Thanks and hope all is going well with the healing.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
NightMare
Part-time mod

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Maybe vrodsweeper can add to this conversation...he's dealt with some pretty extensive experience with road rash....
Cygnus - 2013 R1200GSW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NM's NRs Did the Dragon in the Dark!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP Jeannie
Ride Free, Alex
NightMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
ncvrodracer
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUNARep
Some of the best info that I hope I never use. Thanks and hope all is going well with the healing.

6.793 1/8 mile
102.180 mph

New member 10 second club..

10.713 1/4 mile
123..17 mph

"Now Your Using Your Clutch Management Jimmy"

A Ninja V-rod.....

ncvrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Donwe
Proud R Pilot

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Be careful with Neosporin and products like it, a fair amount of people become allergic to it after extended use. I ended up with a burn/rash blisters on my road rash after about 10 days, just when I was starting to be able to sleep again the pain got 10 times worse than right after the accident. That's when I started taking a Vicodin with about 3 of the King of Beers , finally some sleep!

06 R
DNA Filter (topless)
V&H Fuel-Pak
V&H 2-1
Donwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
FBrider/vrod

A doctor friend advises us to use preperation H. Yep, the Hemroid stuff. Basically it's the stuff one nneds to help with the road rash.

I was fortunate two weeks ago. I hit a car with the soft tail. Stoped in fromt of me with not enough room. They don't stop like the v-rod.
FBrider/vrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
pwrman
Registered Idiot

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Ask your pharmacist for xeroform, great stuff for road rash, burns and more serious wounds.
Like when you can see your knee cap because you have no skin left covering it.
pwrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
consafos

Hydrogen peroxide poured over rash loosens the bandage. My sisters would come over daily, one would pour it on my back, the other would hold the bandage/giant pad attached/stuck to my back. A few seconds later I would walk away while they held the edges of the pad. . They would then swab my back with a clean pad, apply some bacytracine neomycn(?) a claen pad then return the next day. Oh yeah, I also had to hear "I told you so." This was back in 76, so maybe new stuff has come out...
consafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
Imdubious

Hydrogen peroxide is no longer recommend first aid.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
Vrodriding

They put some stuff called sylvadine (sp) on me at the hospital after my wreck it worked pretty good! you can get it at any pharmacy just have your doc write you a script! I have quite a bit left, but I am keeping it you can never be to safe lol! Oh but dont use it on your face, they made sure to tell me that about 100 times! Use bacetrycine (sp) for that!
Vrodriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Guys this is a good topic, if we get enough responses I think we should stickie this to help others.

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
baldharleydude
Tim

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Here's one that will make the doctors cringe -- and I know I'll hear hell for even mentioning it...

Years ago I went for a good, long slide. Kneecaps showing, severe road-rash on my palms and forearms -- I landed on my front-side in a prone position and just slid to a stop, no rollin' & tumblin' -- with quite a bit of asphalt tar & stones embedded in the newly exposed meat. Got a ride home and had my wife call my big brother (don't need doctors, that's what big brothers are for!) and he came right over.

He brought along a jar of kerosene. Turns out it's an old farmers' trick we had always used on injured horses & farm animals. Nasty as it sounds, he simply washed the wounds with the kerosene. Completely cool & painless, and it just melted all the tar and road grime right away. Once everything was cleaned up, I soaked for a while in the bathtub. Afterwards, we went ahead with the conventional ointments and bandaging, but the kerosene spared me having to go to the ER to have a nurse scrub out the raw meat with a toothbrush and iodine, which I wouldn't wish on anyone!
baldharleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
J-Rodvrscr
Jared

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
MAX, make this a sticky thread.....please

bump
J-Rodvrscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #15
robbwest
I'm With Stupid

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldharleydude
Here's one that will make the doctors cringe -- and I know I'll hear hell for even mentioning it...

Years ago I went for a good, long slide. Kneecaps showing, severe road-rash on my palms and forearms -- I landed on my front-side in a prone position and just slid to a stop, no rollin' & tumblin' -- with quite a bit of asphalt tar & stones imbedded in the newly exposed meat. Got a ride home and had my wife call my big brother (don't need doctors, that's what big brothers are for!) and he came right over.

He brought along a jar of kerosene. Turns out it's an old farmers' trick we had always used on injured horses & farm animals. Nasty as it sounds, he simply washed the wounds with the kerosene. Completely cool & painless, and it just melted all the tar and road grime right away. Once everything was cleaned up, I soaked for a while in the bathtub. Afterwards, we went ahead with the conventional ointments and bandaging, but the kerosene spared me having to go to the ER to have a nurse scrub out the raw meat with a toothbrush and iodine, which I wouldn't wish on anyone!
Doesn't make me cringe. I hate going to doctors and any home remedy works for me (especially those endorsed by big brothers) I'm just glad to know it works without drinking it.
robbwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement