Harley-Davidson's LiveWire Has So Far Been A Flop: Report - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-08-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
ozzie21
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Harley-Davidson's LiveWire Has So Far Been A Flop: Report

Is anyone surprised by this? Nope. H-D has their corporate heads very very far up their corporate asses. Totally delusional. The poor decisions being made in the past number of years has to question the competency of the MoCo. Discontinuing the V-Rod, the bad reviews of the new FXDR 114, discontinuing the Dyna model, overpriced $50,000 CVO models, and on and on.

https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidson...por-1838852741
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H-D LiveWire Poor Sales.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	534343  
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
CVO1
"Grab your ankles"

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm not surprised. $30k for an unproven motorcycle?!

It is electric, very expensive and is fairly new & unproven tech. Who in their right mind, outside of a rich tree-hugger, would want this foolish machine? The H-D brass has completely lost their minds. I don't see this company lasting too much farther into the future. The majority of their bikes cost thousands $$$ more than the competition and lag so far behind on the tech, that you'd have to be a fool or an H-D shill to buy one.

If something doesn't drastically change, this company is going down the toilet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CVO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
Jesson
Registered Full

Garage
Harley-Davidson's LiveWire Has So Far Been A Flop: Report

Not surprised at all. Although I have to say it is a fun bike to ride. I tried it on a demo day. Very responsive and agile like a sportbike. But it only goes like 150 miles on one charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Just to be clear-- H-D is trying to market this to "The Faithful" (in addition to Millennials with deep pockets)?

This would be the same "Faithful" that *hated* the VRSC's liquid cooled motor, despised Buell, lost their minds over "precision liquid cooling" on the cylinder heads of the latest bikes, were given loans by H-D Financial that they would never be able to repay in order to buy a bike they could never afford, and basically hate anything that doesn't look like a geezer-glide?

Well, that's an..... interesting way to come up with a strategy to save your company I guess.

If Tesla came out with the Livewire, it might have done well since they have their own type of kool-aid drinkers over there. But this bike? While technologically amazing, is just about as far from what a "faithful" H-D rider wants as you can get.

Even the dealers don't want it. And with no dealer buy in..... remind me how you sell it again?

Maroons.

R.
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
CVO1
"Grab your ankles"

I would truly like to know the amount of money that H-D wasted on the R&D for this thing. Millions upon millions $$$, I'm sure.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Very Few H-D Bulls Eyes !

We all have discussed this " bike " here in detail here at absolute ad nauseam. Search all the threads if you really have to - especially by our banned (or finally shamed enough to exit the site ) down under Aussie buddy Tassie Tony ( I kinda miss him actually, no one else here showed their ass so often and got spanked down so well by all of us ) But yea, the Livewire is a great little side show M/C from H-D, another way they can avoid building a motorcycle that has to compete with a Global market. They will sell in high income high tech urban places like San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, New York etc. ( pick your favorite Liberal Global Climate Change/Warming city ). Unless it's a hybrid that I can refuel, and have it keep going, recharging the battery without stopping for a few hours to plug it in so I can do hundreds of miles of cross country rides in a day it's a no sale for me, and for most riders. Would I buy one ? Yes, if it wasn't 4X the cost of my V Rod, it would be a fun toy. But as a only bike ? NO - Absolutely not - It's good that H-D has entered the electric arena, and the Livewire is very good - but Gasoline ain't dead yet. Build us a V Rod replacement to compete with a Ducati X Diavel S with a two up seat like my R model and I'm in. Like 25K in. Later when I'm old and tired and deaf, ( soon ) I'll buy the hybrid electric bike. Right now H-D is like that Steve Miller song " Stuck in the Middle with You " where nothing they offer really breaks out on its own - too heavy, too slow, too short a range, single seat only, won't turn - Good God H-D mgmt look at your target - very few bulls eyes !
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
CVO1
"Grab your ankles"

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
We all have discussed this " bike " here in detail here at absolute ad nauseam. Search all the threads if you really have to - especially by our banned (or finally shamed enough to exit the site ) down under Aussie buddy Tassie Tony ( I kinda miss him actually, no one else here showed their ass so often and got spanked down so well by all of us ) But yea, the Livewire is a great little side show M/C from H-D, another way they can avoid building a motorcycle that has to compete with a Global market. They will sell in high income high tech urban places like San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, New York etc. ( pick your favorite Liberal Global Climate Change/Warming city ). Unless it's a hybrid that I can refuel, and have it keep going, recharging the battery without stopping for a few hours to plug it in so I can do hundreds of miles of cross country rides in a day it's a no sale for me, and for most riders. Would I buy one ? Yes, if it wasn't 4X the cost of my V Rod, it would be a fun toy. But as a only bike ? NO - Absolutely not - It's good that H-D has entered the electric arena, and the Livewire is very good - but Gasoline ain't dead yet. Build us a V Rod replacement to compete with a Ducati X Diavel S with a two up seat like my R model and I'm in. Like 25K in. Later when I'm old and tired and deaf, ( soon ) I'll buy the hybrid electric bike. Right now H-D is like that Steve Miller song " Stuck in the Middle with You " where nothing they offer really breaks out on its own - too heavy, too slow, too short a range, single seat only, won't turn - Good God H-D mgmt look at your target - very few bulls eyes !
I'm only in my 30's and shouldn't know this, but that song was by Stealers Wheel. I love music.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Cranial Rectumitis ?

CVO1 You are correct sir - I stand corrected. And Ashamed ! - I take great pride in rock music history and can't believe that I messed that up. Just goes to show what happens when your "favorite" MoCo gives you a new electric battery bike instead of a new gasoline Revolution V Rod - ya just start losing your mind - If H-D had built a new V Rod for us we would be singing " Keep On Rocking Me Baby " I'm pretty sure that's ole Steve Miller - Hell, I sing that on my 13 year old '06 R Model when it comes on my helmet speakers and I'm rocking down the road - guess that will have to do till the MoCo gets their committee decisions head out of their collective committee A$$.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Santego
Registered Full

Garage
That LiveWire isn't for me, but I didn't mind them jumping into electric as an early adopter. All manufacturers will have electric offerings soon... i see them as dipping their toes in it early. Would like to test one, just to see what it is like, but would never plop down $30K on one.

I am waiting for that Bare Knuckle StreetFighter. I will definitely get one of those as a modern update to my 1997 Buell S1 Lightning.
Harley Windshield / Harley Backrest / SKNZ Cover
Santego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
CVO1
"Grab your ankles"

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
CVO1 You are correct sir - I stand corrected. And Ashamed ! - I take great pride in rock music history and can't believe that I messed that up. Just goes to show what happens when your "favorite" MoCo gives you a new electric battery bike instead of a new gasoline Revolution V Rod - ya just start losing your mind - If H-D had built a new V Rod for us we would be singing " Keep On Rocking Me Baby " I'm pretty sure that's ole Steve Miller - Hell, I sing that on my 13 year old '06 R Model when it comes on my helmet speakers and I'm rocking down the road - guess that will have to do till the MoCo gets their committee decisions head out of their collective committee A$$.
LOL! You are forgiven!!!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #12
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

I think that the barbie Jeep is outselling the Livewire. Here is the fix for all this crap. bring back the Evo, the Revo, and get these knuckleheads out of the office.
My truth is the EPA, when your bike has to be quieter then the offices at Victory you no longer own the road. Everyone was shut up Carl loud pipes don't save lives. Yes they do they saved Harley's life. In 2008/9 when all the Screaming Eagle stuff got pulled that began the downfall of HD EFI, and ABS and kickstand interlocks all for some yuppie manbun crowd. I still stand by bikes are to be raw and dangerous. When everyother bike is in the same sterile state no one wants it. Just my 2 cents.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #13
CVO1
"Grab your ankles"

Another black eye for H-D and this foolish, overpriced machine...

Production halted over technical issues:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/14/ha...fter-ev-debut/
Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
ozzie21
Registered Full

Bad News eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVO1 View Post
Another black eye for H-D and this foolish, overpriced machine...

Production halted over technical issues:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/14/ha...fter-ev-debut/
Interesting..... Not a good way to kick off the LiveWire introduction is it? Doesn't really instill confidence to a potential buyer.
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #15
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Range & Fire Anxiety ? GEEZ Where's my new V Rod ?

Just charge it outside in the driveway overnight until they resolve the issue - I wouldn't want to wake up in the middle of the night with my garage on fire because I was using the cheap lower 110 Volt charger and didn't give H-D and an electrician another $$$$ for the proper 220 Volt charger setup. Around here it would be charged by Coal or Natural gas so other than being a fun 30K High Torque Electric Toy no real big environmental impact improvement still a Fossil Fuel burner. Make it a gasoline Hybrid that recharges a smaller battery for unlimited electric range & fun and we'll talk. Probably 45K from H-D for that, so just forget about it - Hey H-D where's my new V Rod ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement