New Cooling Fans not working - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #16
[email protected]
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought new relays since one of mine was bad. Fans still do not spin when i pull and replace the maxifuse. Fans do run when i jump them. Is the next step to test the ECM? where is that and what does it look like? If its not that do i replace the temp sensor? Why else would my fans not come on?
B@rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #17
[email protected]
Registered Full

dup msg delete

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-22-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 08-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #18
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemcgov View Post
Thx Rusty
Good idea- call pv
good info- "The fans do not always come on when I replace the maxi fuse on my 2007 vrscx."

Pretty sure I have never overheated mine - so the overheat light maybe fine for all I know.
Have you overheated yours and had the temp light come on? NO

I flush and fill the coolant every 2 seasons or so and use water-wetter additive.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #19
stevemcgov
Registered Full

Did you look over the Post Rusty posted on the subject?
are you running a PCIII?

You said you blew a fuse - so maybe you got a short-or rotten fan wire up under the shroud? ?
check the grounds?
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121929

"recently had a fan issue with the P1481 code. Turned out being the wire connectors coming from/going to the fans. I exchanged my fan relay with the starter relay; still didn't work correctly, only sporadically. I took those connectors apart and they were corroded beyond belief. I bought new connectors and the fans work good now."
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #20
[email protected]
Registered Full

I dont have a PCIII and I'm not blowing fuses. I put new fans in and they are not coming on at all unless I jump them.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #21
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I bought new relays since one of mine was bad. Fans still do not spin when i pull and replace the maxifuse. Fans do run when i jump them. Is the next step to test the ECM? where is that and what does it look like? If its not that do i replace the temp sensor? Why else would my fans not come on?
Fans are triggered to come on when the engine temp sensor reaches a certain resistance. This resistance is related to engine temp and a search on the forum will bring up what resistance the sensor should have per temp for checking it. It usually falls into a range of 217* for fans on and 208* for fans to turn off. If that is normal, and wiring is good all over the only thing that will cause them to not come on is the ECM. The ECM provides a ground in the circuit to start the fans.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #22
[email protected]
Registered Full

Rbabos,

by overheat light comes on so the fans are not coming on at all. Where is the ECM, what does it look like and how to I test it?

thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #23
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Rbabos,

by overheat light comes on so the fans are not coming on at all. Where is the ECM, what does it look like and how to I test it?

thanks
Sorry, don't have the E manual for your year. Stever should be along with info you need regarding color and pin number in the plug. Basially you take the fan ground at the ECM and run it direct to ground. If the fans start up, the ECM is failing to provide the ground.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #24
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Rbabos,

thanks
Pin 2 from the ECM is Red/White and runs from the ECM to the fan relay. ECM provides ground to this wire at the correct temp. If you apply a ground to this direct and the fans start up then the circuit must be ok. If not make sure the Red/Orange wire from the Battery fuse to the fan relay has 12v
coastrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #25
[email protected]
Registered Full

Hi Coastrider,

I don't know where the ECM is and what to looks like.

thank you
Old 08-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #26
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Hi Coastrider,

I don't know where the ECM is and what to looks like.

thank you
Under the rear seat. Looks like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	533777
Old 08-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #27
[email protected]
Registered Full

I got to the ECM. Where is pin 2? What is the orange connector for at the lower left of the picture that is not plugged into anything?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	18
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	533781  
Old 08-25-2019, 01:22 AM   #28
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
I got to the ECM. Where is pin 2? What is the orange connector for at the lower left of the picture that is not plugged into anything?
Wouldn't worry about the orange plug. There are often spare plugs for various accessories like alarms etc.
If you open the ECM plug you will see the pin numbers. Will look something like this.

Views:	21
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	533783
Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #29
[email protected]
Registered Full

How exactly do I run a ground wire. Do I take the plug out or the EMC then just touch a wire from the pin in the EMC to something metal? Should the fan start right up?

if it doesn't start up or does what does that mean?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #30
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
How exactly do I run a ground wire. Do I take the plug out or the EMC then just touch a wire from the pin in the EMC to something metal? Should the fan start right up?

if it doesn't start up or does what does that mean?
Remove the plug from the ECM, open it and remove pin 2 (white/red wire) Reconnect plug to ECM. Turn on ignition then connect a wire from ground to the White/Red wire. If the fans power up then the circuit is good and you need to find out why the ECM isn't giving the signal. (possibly faulty ECM) If the fans don't power up then you need to start checking for voltages at the fan relay (although you should already have done this as it is simpler) You should have two +12v feeds at the fan relay (connections 30 and 85 on relay, red/orange wires) fed from the battery fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement