Starter clicks, clock flashes, one cylinder down? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-16-2019, 11:51 PM   #1
cvsisinthehouse
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Starter clicks, clock flashes, one cylinder down?

Took my '07 Night Rod Special to work today, no problem. I get on the bike after work and just get some weird clicks and the clock flashes when I tried to start it. I thought thats it, my 12yo battery finally died, and I jumped it from a car and it started but not right away as usual, took a few turns. I start my way home and it feels like only one cylinder is firing. I get a couple miles down the road and the bike dies. I dont think its the battery, cuz if it was I would have made it home right? You only need a battery to start a bike not run one right? I am searching the site for this issue, didnt see much so far.
cvsisinthehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #2
coastrider
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvsisinthehouse View Post
Took my '07 Night Rod Special to work today, no problem. I get on the bike after work and just get some weird clicks and the clock flashes when I tried to start it. I thought thats it, my 12yo battery finally died, and I jumped it from a car and it started but not right away as usual, took a few turns. I start my way home and it feels like only one cylinder is firing. I get a couple miles down the road and the bike dies. I dont think its the battery, cuz if it was I would have made it home right? You only need a battery to start a bike not run one right? I am searching the site for this issue, didnt see much so far.
Almost certain to be battery
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There is quite a bit of load, ECM, Lights, Fuel Pump on the ancient battery, not enough to keep her running.

The alternator can't keep up with the recharge draw on the really dead battery while keeping the bike going with run demands, hope you have not damaged the rectifier/regulator.

Get a new battery and verify that you still get a good charging voltage once installed.
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
12 years on a battery is unusual to say the least. Most of us are lucky to get 4 years.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
cvsisinthehouse
Registered Full

Got a new battery today. Hummed a few bars of taps as I handed it over to avoid a $10 core charge. Supposedly it was charged, but my charger says its not, charging overnight. If this works, its amazing that the battery started the bike and rode fine Friday morning but not after work. Thank God it didnt die going to or from the Vrod rally I went to 7 weeks ago in Ohio. I ride year round so my batteries last longer. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
ozzie21
Registered Full

12 Years on a Battery!!!!

Quote:
Got a new battery today. Hummed a few bars of taps as I handed it over to avoid a $10 core charge. Supposedly it was charged, but my charger says its not, charging overnight. If this works, its amazing that the battery started the bike and rode fine Friday morning but not after work. Thank God it didnt die going to or from the Vrod rally I went to 7 weeks ago in Ohio. I ride year round so my batteries last longer. Thanks for the advice guys.
12 years on one battery is outstanding. Best I ever got was 7 years on my old Shovelhead dresser and I never heard of anyone doing better. I'd say it's time for a new one anyway. You can check your old one but I believe you'll find it might not be able to hold a charge. If you've got a multi-meter check your old battery and your charging system. if you don't have a multi-meter, don't know how to check your charging system or don't feel comfortable doing it have your dealer or a shop check them out. It shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour to check everything.
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
stevemcgov
Registered Full

I killed my bat yesterday (left the ignition on, not running for 6 hours) DUH....
while slow tender charging i went back and noticed the instrument cluster lights were flashing intermittently. OH SH*T i thought...
I thought i might have fried my ignition.

So i unhooked the tender and ***removed the maxi-fuse like i should have.
Charged on tender overnight- All is good, took long ride get the Rpms up to boost it up

Next battery I get will be one of the new lite lithium type ones.
1/3 the weight of a lead acid battery - lose like 6lbs of weight up high behind the triple tree :-)

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/743...BoCIZMQAvD_BwE

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/805...ger-maintainer
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
cvsisinthehouse
Registered Full

It was the battery. The first one Advance Auto gave me was a core exchange. Charged it overnight and still nothing. Damn! Sunday I took it back and the manager immediately saw the core sticker and gave me a new one. Back on the road. Here's a pic of the original that lasted since '07. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	533669  
Old 08-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Awesome!!

Check Your Grounds
Old 08-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Quote:
It was the battery... Back on the road. Here's a pic of the original that lasted since '07.
No wonder MoCo had to shut down the production of V-rod . Can't make money like that ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
cvsisinthehouse
Registered Full

Sonofabitch!

Guess what, it wasn't the battery. Same thing happened today, first day taking the bike to work with the new battery. 30 minute ride in, no problem. On the way home tonight, i started to feel that now familiar power loss. Eventually just died about halfway home, clock was flickering. The wife is getting pissed, almost told me to take an Uber, came and got me. I owe her another dinner out.

I had wondered what kind of battery dies after a ride? It must be my stator right? I mean, how long a battery thats not being charged last? About 45 minutes? I will borrow a voltage meter and test it this weekend. How hard are they to change? Gotta drain all the oil out right?
Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
Werewolf_77
Werewolf_77

voltage regulator

Quote:
Guess what, it wasn't the battery. Same thing happened today, first day taking the bike to work with the new battery. 30 minute ride in, no problem. On the way home tonight, i started to feel that now familiar power loss. Eventually just died about halfway home, clock was flickering. The wife is getting pissed, almost told me to take an Uber, came and got me. I owe her another dinner out.

I had wondered what kind of battery dies after a ride? It must be my stator right? I mean, how long a battery thats not being charged last? About 45 minutes? I will borrow a voltage meter and test it this weekend. How hard are they to change? Gotta drain all the oil out right?

voltage regulator is located on the radiator ... two bolts!!!

worry about the stator later.

this just happened to me!
Werewolf_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:51 PM   #13
Werewolf_77
Werewolf_77

replace #16 first

then worry about #13
Werewolf_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:

45 minutes would be about right to drop to a critical level. I'm surprise you didn't do a charging check for output with the new battery. It's possible the old battery developed high resistance and took out the regulator. It's the weaker of the two charging components and will usually crap out first. If you are not seeing 13.8-14.2 at the bat terminals at idle, unplug the stator wire an do a stator test for (AC) output. If that's good, it's the regulator. Keep in mind, each time you kill the battery, it's life span suffers big time. Some will turn to shit, just after only one discharge and will be weak from then on and life span will be very short.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxmanHog View Post
................Get a new battery and verify that you still get a good charging voltage once installed.
As Ron pointed out just above and I mentioned earlier, you and anyone ever experiencing this need to do a voltage test before certifying your work ready for road service.

If there is a weak or no charging voltage, most likely it's the regulator.

Check Your Grounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement