Front cylinder not firing - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
baggio95
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front cylinder not firing

The long and short is that right before a deployment I was riding my bike and got caught in a rainstorm. The next morning I went to go put her in storage and she started up but as soon as I tried to ride away it started to bog, lose power, and stall. I nursed it down the street to a loading ramp and then loaded it into a truck and put it in storage as I was leaving the next day. Fast forward a year and this is what I've figured out so far:
2012 VRSCDX with Thunderheader exhaust and FuelMoto micro tuner
-put in a new battery as battery tender failed
-started right up but idles rough
-I noticed fuel flowing out the front header
-front cylinder was cold completely cold to the touch
-rear cylinder hot and appeared to be firing okay
-I pulled coil packs and did resistance test on both and #s are same
-pulled the spark plugs and while both show signs of running rich, front plugged looked completely fouled
-installed new NGK plugs front and rear and adjusted gap
-reassembled and started again and front cylinder still doesn't fire and fuel still pouring out header
-swapped the front and rear coils just to eliminate that as option and front still won't fire but rear will with different coil

I'm at a loss at this point and don't know how to proceed. I'm clearly not a mechanic but a DIYer whenever I can since my experience with Dealers and shops has not been very good when it comes to knowledge and experience with V-Rods

Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
baggio95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
coastrider
Registered Full
 
coastrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 728
Images: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio95 View Post
The long and short is that right before a deployment I was riding my bike and got caught in a rainstorm. The next morning I went to go put her in storage and she started up but as soon as I tried to ride away it started to bog, lose power, and stall. I nursed it down the street to a loading ramp and then loaded it into a truck and put it in storage as I was leaving the next day. Fast forward a year and this is what I've figured out so far:
2012 VRSCDX with Thunderheader exhaust and FuelMoto micro tuner
-put in a new battery as battery tender failed
-started right up but idles rough
-I noticed fuel flowing out the front header
-front cylinder was cold completely cold to the touch
-rear cylinder hot and appeared to be firing okay
-I pulled coil packs and did resistance test on both and #s are same
-pulled the spark plugs and while both show signs of running rich, front plugged looked completely fouled
-installed new NGK plugs front and rear and adjusted gap
-reassembled and started again and front cylinder still doesn't fire and fuel still pouring out header
-swapped the front and rear coils just to eliminate that as option and front still won't fire but rear will with different coil

I'm at a loss at this point and don't know how to proceed. I'm clearly not a mechanic but a DIYer whenever I can since my experience with Dealers and shops has not been very good when it comes to knowledge and experience with V-Rods

Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
If you have that much fuel that it comes out of the header I would check you dont have a fuel injector stuck open on the front cyl.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
baggio95
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
If you have that much fuel that it comes out of the header I would check you dont have a fuel injector stuck open on the front cyl.
Thanks man. Maybe a stupid question but how do I check for a stuck injector or access it on the front cylinder.
baggio95 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
coastrider
Registered Full
 
coastrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 728
Images: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio95 View Post
Thanks man. Maybe a stupid question but how do I check for a stuck injector or access it on the front cylinder.
You need to remove the air filter housing assy and the throttle bodies to access them. Just noticed you have a tuner fitted. Have you disconnected that and tried without, incase this has gone faulty? Also have you checked for fault codes?
You need to be careful that the oil is not contaminated with fuel before you run it, once you have found the problem.
You should really invest in a manual to take on this sort of work if you are not familiar with the bike. Mistakes can be expensive!
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
baggio95
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
You need to remove the air filter housing assy and the throttle bodies to access them. Just noticed you have a tuner fitted. Have you disconnected that and tried without, incase this has gone faulty? Also have you checked for fault codes?
You need to be careful that the oil is not contaminated with fuel before you run it, once you have found the problem.
You should really invest in a manual to take on this sort of work if you are not familiar with the bike. Mistakes can be expensive!
Appreciate the input. I just ordered one to have. In the meantime I did disconnect the tuner to see what would happen and the front cylinder is now firing. That said, while there isn't fuel dumping out like before, I can see smoke from the front header. I'll pull the injector once I get the manual and bring it somewhere to be cleaned or see about doing it myself. After that I'll see how it runs without the tuner installed and then see if once I reattach the tuner what happens. Again, thanks for the help!
baggio95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
coastrider
Registered Full
 
coastrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 728
Images: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Save yourself some work. Leave the injector alone for now if it is now running. It would be perfectly normal to see some smoke until it clears all the excess fuel. Very possible water got into the tuner harness plugs and either caused a short and damaged the tuner or just caused a short and made it open the injector. Dry out all the connectors ( blow out with air if possible) and try reconnecting it. If the problem returns then the tuner is probably toast. Dont forget to check the oil for fuel before you take it out for a run.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
baggio95
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
Save yourself some work. Leave the injector alone for now if it is now running. It would be perfectly normal to see some smoke until it clears all the excess fuel. Very possible water got into the tuner harness plugs and either caused a short and damaged the tuner or just caused a short and made it open the injector. Dry out all the connectors ( blow out with air if possible) and try reconnecting it. If the problem returns then the tuner is probably toast. Dont forget to check the oil for fuel before you take it out for a run.
Gotcha. Yeah, I just got a little nervous with the smoke. Not that it was excessive but was just a little concerned and didn't want to see flames so figured I should quit once I realized that the front cylinder was now firing.
I ended up draining the oil and doing a full oil/filter change. It was due anyway and I didn't want to risk it in the event a bit of fuel made it in. Appreciate the help. This is my second V-Rod and really the first problems that I'm had, granted I only put about 20kmi on the two.
baggio95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
TaxmanHog
Noel
 
TaxmanHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Attleboro Mass.
Posts: 4,539
Images: 277
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hope the removal of the suspect tuner ends up being the final solution, are you going to replace it with similar unit or have the stock ECM mapped to fit your pipe & air cleaner configuration?
__________________
2019 Street Glide Special
2012 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R
2006 VRXSE Destroyer
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34


Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,543
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you want to see a leaking or sticking injector, open the butterflies all the way and peer at the injector with a dental mirror taped to a stick. A small mag light to illuminate helps too. Turn ignition on. It should remain bone dry on the injector tip.
I use the stock star throttle lock for this for keeping it at full throttle position. Don't forget to back it off before starting the engine.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
baggio95
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
If you want to see a leaking or sticking injector, open the butterflies all the way and peer at the injector with a dental mirror taped to a stick. A small mag light to illuminate helps too. Turn ignition on. It should remain bone dry on the injector tip.
I use the stock star throttle lock for this for keeping it at full throttle position. Don't forget to back it off before starting the engine.
Ron
Awesome, thanks Ron! That's a great idea and I'll give it a try. I put it all back together and bought some SeaFoam to add to the tank and was going to let it run a couple minutes. I'll pull it all back apart after and try your mirror trick.

Taxman- I'm not quite sure yet. It's a Fuel Moto Micro Tuner and I'm sure it's past warranty. I have to give them a call and see what if anything they're willing to do to help.
baggio95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum