2003 VROD - Slipper Clutch Install - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
javsst
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
2003 VROD - Slipper Clutch Install

Guys -

I have the new slipper clutch ready to be tightened on.

Also, I managed to find the time to start welding the tool together to
hold the clutch from moving while I torque down the lock nut.

Question -

I need to rotate the clutch counter clockwise to make sure the prongs holding the clutch are setup so that I can mark out where the bracket that will bolt to the rear arm can be welded on.

Ok to rotate counter clockwise?

Thanks!

Steve
javsst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
JustDennis
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What is the slipper clutch part#? Think I may add to my 2005 vrscse. Will be interested in your experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
javsst
Lifetime Premium

I picked it up at the dealer when they had a 20% off on parts sale.

If you go on the HD website and look under your year, it's in the Screaming Eagle section.

For my 2003 it's: Part Number 37938-08KA

Steve

Old 06-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #4
Z16monte
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't have my book in front of me but there is 1 direction you should not rotate the motor, Can't remember which. So as long as you don't rotate the motor backwards you should be OK>.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Z16monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:00 AM   #5
JustDennis
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by javsst View Post
I picked it up at the dealer when they had a 20% off on parts sale.

If you go on the HD website and look under your year, it's in the Screaming Eagle section.

For my 2003 it's: Part Number 37938-08KA

Steve
Thanks. I checked and it's the same for mine. Looks like I'll need the 2008 or later clutch instructions from the later service manual.
JustDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
Bruce Helland
Registered Full

Slipper clutch will fit all model years. You don't really need the clutch holding tool to remove and install. Put the bike in gear and hold the rear brake and use an air or electric impact gun on the hub nut. I admire your desire to make/modify your own holding tool though. If you want to rotate the engine and are unsure of the proper direction heres a trick. Shift the transmission to 5th gear and 'bump' the bike forward. If its on a stand just rotate the wheel as if it was traveling down the road.
Bruce Helland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
javsst
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Helland View Post
Slipper clutch will fit all model years. You don't really need the clutch holding tool to remove and install. Put the bike in gear and hold the rear brake and use an air or electric impact gun on the hub nut. I admire your desire to make/modify your own holding tool though. If you want to rotate the engine and are unsure of the proper direction heres a trick. Shift the transmission to 5th gear and 'bump' the bike forward. If its on a stand just rotate the wheel as if it was traveling down the road.
Perfect! Thanks. Now I can finish the install.

I'm doing this by myself and want to make sure I don't rotate the assembly as I torque down the locknut.

Steve
Old 06-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javsst View Post
Guys -

Question -

I need to rotate the clutch counter clockwise to make sure the prongs holding the clutch are setup so that I can mark out where the bracket that will bolt to the rear arm can be welded on.

Ok to rotate counter clockwise?

Thanks!

Steve
Yes, this is safe, as the clutch basket spins counter clockwise it's spinning the crank clockwise when viewed from the right side.

The warnings you see in the forum or the service manual refer to the safe rotations as viewed from the LEFT side of the crank being COUNTER CLOCKWISE (viewed from the left side)

IMHO, having the tool that holds the basket stationary provides a sense of confidence that improper rotation will not happen when you're tightening the clutch nut.

As pointed out above it's possible to prevent counter rotation with tranny in gear and foot on the rear brake, just need a buddy or Ol'lady to stand on it while your tightening the nut.

Having just finished an engine build, I used the leverage of a breaker bar on the crank while having my heaviest set of clutch springs and lifter plate installed, I had enough resistance to torque to spec, but I did this before mounting the heads or stringing the cam chains so I had zero risk of jumping a tooth or braking a chain guide.

Good luck, BTW if you fab up one, and like it, make two and I'll buy the second one off you!
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
javsst
Lifetime Premium

I just need to finish the "handle" to bolt the tool to the swingarm and I can torque down the locknut.

I'm not sure that I'm going to use red loc-tite on it, the cordless impact didn't have any issue with spinning it off and I didn't see any residue on the threads, but I'll at least put blue loc-tite on there.

Whether I trust the tool completely is another story

I'll put it in gear and also use the rear brake to be safe. I'm not the greatest welder, and it's been years since I've used it. The welds are holding the prongs pretty well, but the 120V welder I have didn't heat through all the way on the 1/8" tube for the prongs.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
hedgehanter
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When I was taking the nut off I had the impact gun on tightening the nut, and noticed that the clutch moved a little bit clockwise, is there a way to check if everything is ok still, or only when on the road (what is the effect anyway if the engine rotates)? She was in first gear and rear brake was on when that happened.
hedgehanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehanter View Post
When I was taking the nut off I had the impact gun on tightening the nut, and noticed that the clutch moved a little bit clockwise, is there a way to check if everything is ok still, or only when on the road (what is the effect anyway if the engine rotates)? She was in first gear and rear brake was on when that happened.
If the secondary chain tensioners are good in adjustment, it should be fine. Just about every time one turns these engines off, they slightly rotate the wrong direction any way. 45-90*, I wouldn't break a sweat over that. Keep rotating it, it could jump cam timing on the cyl not on compression stroke as it would have the valves under cam pressure.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
hedgehanter
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
If the secondary chain tensioners are good in adjustment, it should be fine. Just about every time one turns these engines off, they slightly rotate the wrong direction any way. 45-90*, I wouldn't break a sweat over that. Keep rotating it, it could jump cam timing on the cyl not on compression stroke as it would have the valves under cam pressure.
Ron
Secondary chain tension-er adjustment check? I cant rotate it at all it is so tight..
Old 07-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
hedgehanter
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Ron
Ron,

How do you check the secondary chain adjustment? It is a bit Chinese to me yet..
Old 07-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Quote:
Secondary chain tension-er adjustment check? I cant rotate it at all it is so tight..
Quote:
Ron,

How do you check the secondary chain adjustment? It is a bit Chinese to me yet..
The Secondary cam chain adjusters are within the two CAPS located on the rear/left side of each head which I hope you know need to be unscrewed from the head following a meticulous procedure noted in the service manual. You also need to use an HD tool to gauge the amount of chain slack, then according the tools readout, adjust the number of SHIMS inside the cap under the hydraulic adjuster also seated in the cap.
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
hedgehanter
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxmanHog View Post
The Secondary cam chain adjusters are withing the two CAPS located on the rear/left side of each head which I hope you know need to be unscrewed from the head following a meticulous procedure noted in the service manual. You also need to use an HD tool to gauge the amount of chain slack, then according the tools readout, adjust the number of SHIMS inside the cap under the hydraulic adjuster also seated in the cap.
I know those CAPS, although cannot see anything related to removing them in the service manual. I can see the adjustment marks and dots in the manual for the top end though so I suppose there is the secondary cam chain, since the primary chain is in the bottom.
Sorry for being a tick-head I have no experience with the engine parts of the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement