911 - Leaking..Radiator Cap? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Rod stewart

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 911 - Leaking..Radiator Cap?

Brought my R home about a week ago and after my first ride I found a splattering of anti-freeze on the engine. I traced it back to the cap, had it replaced by dealer and it seemed OK. I did find a few stains every now and then, but hoped it was some that I missed on my original clean-up. Now I have to take my head out of the sand because with the weather heating up outside ( 90 degrees ), its really started to drip. Seems to start after shut down but cant tell for sure. Gonna contact dealer but wanted to know if anyone elese has had this problem before they try to feed me a line.
Rod stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Cheatin
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tighten up all of those hose clamps every now and then.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
seabee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
leakin' cap

I also had a bad radiator cap & it was replaced by the shop. Go back & ask for another.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
EddieLasVegas
Registered Full

I had a similar problem last month with my '04 VRSCA.

Turns out it was the small tube (attached to the rubber hose that leads to the overflow bottle) right below the radiator cap. It had a very small crack in it. Not sure if it was defective or got that way due to rubbing or the like. My bike had about 5200 miles when the leak started.

They ended replacing (under warranty) the entire piece (P/N 26768-01) since the elbow tube is part of the main tube.

Eddie
EddieLasVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Jessewinn27

I had a bad radiator cap also switched out with another bike on the floor.
Jessewinn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
vrodcustoms
Ray Connor

Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLasVegas
I had a similar problem last month with my '04 VRSCA.

Turns out it was the small tube (attached to the rubber hose that leads to the overflow bottle) right below the radiator cap. It had a very small crack in it. Not sure it it was defective or got that way due to rubbing or the like. My bike had about 5200 miles when the leak started.

They ended replacing (under warranty) the entire piece (P/N 26768-01) since the elbow tube id part of the main tube.

Eddie
I have seen more of the cases that Eddie just described than the rad caps. Have seen a few rad caps with bent ears that cause them not to hold. If you are certain it is coming from this area it is one of these two things.
vrodcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
Rod stewart

Bikes in the shop now and I'm waiting for the results. I'll post more info when I get it back.
Rod stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
Alien
Registered Full

Replaced my cap at about 30k miles and replaced the over flow tube at about 40k (But that was my fault, I wire tied my Gerbing power cord to it)
1 Throttle cable fire - $ 130
Putting over 50,000 miles on my V-Rod - $ PRICELESS
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement