Radiator Drain Plug Problems - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Jensvrod
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Angry Radiator Drain Plug Problems

Ok the plastic drain plug is not good now, because while I'm trying to remove it, the plug is tearing apart.

Has anyone had this problem? Because it looks like every time you need to remove it, you got to buy a new one.

If this plug is so tight, then H-D needs to make a better quality plug that won't tear-up so easily.

So far I haven't removed it yet because the grip is tearing off. What the Heck?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jensvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
rsc
Killer Service Inc.

Garage
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This is a cheap part.

You are not the last for sure. LOL

You do not have to remove it all the way to drain.

2012 Ultra Classic

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion!
You're merely over-educated beyond your ability to think!

Malcomx" It turns out that the truth is pretty good protection."

V-rod mechanics 101:

The opinions expressed here are solely those of the original author. These opinions do not represent those of KSI-LLC.com / Killer Service and Innovations, LLC
rsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
redracer95
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Tell them about the trick to opening it
redracer95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
the plug isn't designed to be removed. You just loosen it a few turns and it drains via the groove in it.

embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Jensvrod
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOW View Post
the plug isn't designed to be removed. You just loosen it a few turns and it drains via the groove in it.
I know this; however, the cheap plastic broke.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
bassman76542
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
radiator drain plug

I pulled mine for the first time yesterday. I got it out in one piece but if I didnt know better I'd think it was cross threaded. Im going to do some looking around before I try to put that plug back in to see what i can find. I guarantee you one thing, I wont go to HD and buy a new one. THere are too many defective parts on these bikes and my cash cow died. Im in no rush, still waiting on that water pump to come in....ugh....
bassman76542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Some plugs and specific retainers with threads have what's known as interference threads on them to keep them in place.
Find an alternative method.I drain as much coolant as will drain from the front cylinder plug and refill.If you start early doing this partial drain and add,there should be no reason for a complete flush.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Jensvrod
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrodontheV-Rod View Post
Some plugs and specific retainers with threads have what's known as interference threads on them to keep them in place.
Find an alternative method.I drain as much coolant as will drain from the front cylinder plug and refill.If you start early doing this partial drain and add,there should be no reason for a complete flush.
That's what I'm going to do. That plug is going to stay there. If I have to remove it then maybe I can find a brass plug to replace it.

I needed to drain it so I just said to my self, FAck the mess and I took off the water pump cover and caught as much fluid as I could. Replaced the pump cover with a nice chrome cover to match my chrome hose cover. Also, I found some nasty stuff on the insert and cover. I cleaned that crap off. Some day I think I should bath the entire pump housing. It looks gross.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensvrod View Post
That's what I'm going to do. That plug is going to stay there. If I have to remove it then maybe I can find a brass plug to replace it.

I needed to drain it so I just said to my self, FAck the mess and I took off the water pump cover and caught as much fluid as I could. Replaced the pump cover with a nice chrome cover to match my chrome hose cover. Also, I found some nasty stuff on the insert and cover. I cleaned that crap off. Some day I think I should bath the entire pump housing. It looks gross.
Yeah the stock drain plug is kind of like belt and suspenders. Interference fit threads and sealing ring. Either of which will keep is sealed and on, wish they hadn't gone quite as intereference as they did.
Some say a pipe plug will fit, either 1/4 or 3/8 NPT. Can't verify myself as I'm not willing to remove it to check, till I need to again.
Just did the water pump thing myself, there is always some mess even if you drain everything they suggest.
As for the grunge inside, I attribute that, perhaps incorrectly, to some trace of galvanic corrosion, the various metals that are within the coolant circuit, radiator, cases, gaskets, retaining bolts etc.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Jensvrod
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Here's the pictures of the nasty
.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Yep, familiar with it.
Somewhere there's a path from that compartment to the weep hole.
Elrod suggested that water from washing and rain riding gets it the weep hole, sits and causes corrosion. It is also the path for fluid escape when coolant gets past the shaft seals.

I had never done a radiator flush prior to my recent pump replacement (7 years) but think now that I'll schedule one in yearly. One, I don't think it will hurt and two, it will flush out trace metallic content that perhaps leeches into the coolant over time and perhaps promotes corrosion in the system.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Jensvrod
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
Yep, familiar with it.
Elrod suggested that water from washing and rain riding gets it the weep hole, sits and causes corrosion. It is also the path for fluid escape when coolant gets past the shaft seals.

I had never done a radiator flush prior to my recent pump replacement (7 years) but think now that I'll schedule one in yearly. One, I don't think it will hurt and two, it will flush out trace metallic content that perhaps leeches into the coolant over time and perhaps promotes corrosion in the system.
I,too, thought a radiator flush would be a good idea in the future and told my Dad. My Dad thought it wouldn't be needed. I don't know, sometimes I think I know more, but he has the experience on anything mech, elec, etc.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensvrod View Post
Here's the pictures of the nasty

That aint nasty yet.you need to keep water out of there as much as possible when washing.That just a blank air cavity.You should pull the pump and change the other gasket and 2 o-rings.Only use the gasket once.

This is nasty.I think this was about 30,000 miles.Water intrusion caused this on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP101.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	171433   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP102.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	171434   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP103.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	171435  
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
Yep, familiar with it.

The hole has been named "weep" over the years because when the pump shaft seal fails ,coolant-anti freeze weeps out the hole.
That hole is an equalizer vent.It keeps equal pressure at the seal to the outside atmosphere.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Jensvrod
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Ohh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrodontheV-Rod View Post
That aint nasty yet.you need to keep water out of there as much as possible when washing.That just a blank air cavity.You should pull the pump and change the other gasket and 2 o-rings.Only use the gasket once.

This is nasty.I think this was about 30,000 miles.Water intrusion caused this on mine.
That is horrible!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement