oil line burst! - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
00ttvr6
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
oil line burst!

Just installed my vh indy pipe and not 5 min later it melted my oil line. I was doing over 100mph while switching lanes when this happened. I know that ppl have had issues with this happening with this pipe, but The moco must have been smoking crack when they came up with the route for these lines. I mean really. Thinking of making custom lines for a more direct route that isnt directly infront of a head pipe. Has anyone done this before?
PCV, 250 Duncrap, xr1200 h/l trim
Custom side mount plate
Muscle wheels

04 Dyna
08 Duramax
09 G8 GT
00ttvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00ttvr6 View Post
Just installed my vh indy pipe and not 5 min later it melted my oil line. I was doing over 100mph while switching lanes when this happened. I know that ppl have had issues with this happening with this pipe, but The moco must have been smoking crack when they came up with the route for these lines. I mean really. Thinking of making custom lines for a more direct route that isnt directly infront of a head pipe. Has anyone done this before?
They do not melt from the moco it is that pipe that does it. Glad you were not injured and hope it was shut down in a hurry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-E-mail me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Vrod-Mike
Chrome is king!!!

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I've replaced the oil line on a DX that was melted by an Indy pipe. The problem is the pipe and not the placement of the oil line. No other pipe has this problem except the Indy.
Vrod-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
70roadrunner
Isld Shite Disturber

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
there should be a damn disclaimer with VH when that Indy pipe is sold!!!....... I guess they wait until someone is hurt or killed before the do this.....dumb,dumb,dumb!!!
70roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Glad you made it out OK..
Here's a couple of old threads regarding this problem. Seems few folks used pipe wrap to solve this problem..
solution here
another VH Indy issue

embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
00ttvr6
Registered Full

thanks for the kind words guys. I hope the motor isnt hurt, shut it down right away but wont know till i start it back up. Is there a how to on the line replacement? I have the bike apart but need a "special" tool to remove the line from the block. Called the stealer and they said I cant order the tool. Id like to get this done today while its still fresh in my mind. TIA
Custom side mount plate
Muscle wheels

04 Dyna
08 Duramax
09 G8 GT
Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Vrod-Mike
Chrome is king!!!

Quote:
thanks for the kind words guys. I hope the motor isnt hurt, shut it down right away but wont know till i start it back up. Is there a how to on the line replacement? I have the bike apart but need a "special" tool to remove the line from the block. Called the stealer and they said I cant order the tool. Id like to get this done today while its still fresh in my mind. TIA
It's not a special tool. All it is is a 45* 7/8" open end wrench. You need to remove the radiator to change the oil line.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrod-Mike View Post
It's not a special tool. All it is is a 45* 7/8" open end wrench. You need to remove the radiator to change the oil line.
Only on 02-03 bikes. In 2004 they switched to quick release fittings that call for the tool. A substitute is a $.49 1/8" screw driver.

-E-mail me at

Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
Vrod-Mike
Chrome is king!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2man98 View Post
Only on 02-03 bikes. In 2004 they switched to quick release fittings that call for the tool. A substitute is a $.49 1/8" screw driver.
I changed out an 08 DX oil line and didn't need any special tool.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrod-Mike View Post
I changed out an 08 DX oil line and didn't need any special tool.
Right, you can just pop that E-clip with a screwdriver. No need to wrench on anything.

-E-mail me at

Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I've used Thermo Tec heat shields from Jegs in the past and they're rated for 1050 degrees. Most recently I've been using Thermo tec heat sleeves which are rated at 1200 degrees. Both come in black. The heat shield is more of a metalic material whereas the sleeves feels like a silicone w/fibre lining on the inside.

embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
00ttvr6
Registered Full

I figured Id ask before I went poking around with a flathead I agree that it is the pipes fault but for peace of mind I wish I could reroute the line. Im going to see if I can modify my old line by adding a ss piece of hose. For now im going to wrap the hose in a hose sleeve like this :
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/he...eld_sleeve.php
AND header wrap AND wrap the front part of the header. Im hoping that will be a good temporary fix.
Custom side mount plate
Muscle wheels

04 Dyna
08 Duramax
09 G8 GT
Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Vrod-Mike
Chrome is king!!!

Just tie back the oil line to the fan housing and it will be fine. That's what I did on the one I changed and he didn't have any problems afterwards.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
00ttvr6
Registered Full

got a thermo sleeve from thermo tec. says it has "2000 deg radiant heat reflection" and while im not sure what that means, it seems like enough. The crappy part is that its chrome like finish
Custom side mount plate
Muscle wheels

04 Dyna
08 Duramax
09 G8 GT
Old 03-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
Vrod-Mike
Chrome is king!!!

Quote:
got a thermo sleeve from thermo tec. says it has "2000 deg radiant heat reflection" and while im not sure what that means, it seems like enough. The crappy part is that its chrome like finish
That's exactly why I didn't put one on my buddy's DX. It will stick out like a sore thumb. Just tie it back to the fan bracket and you'll never have a problem with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement