Oil and your Wet-Clutch - How and Why? - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #16
Golyth
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face Confusion

I read the amsoil article and became confused. It states that there is a separate sump for the transmission and the clutch. The owners manual specifically states that the oil in the sump is used for the engine, transmission, primary, and clutch. What's the right answer? I probably wouldn't have said anything, but the article specifically stated v-rod.
Golyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #17
Nyles
Registered Full

I'm not starting a fight and I know there will be people to agrue this and it will never change my mind but all my bikes including my honda 929, 3 yfz 450's (2 o4 models and a newer 09), kids honda 90, honda pilot, and vrod with 10,008 miles today all have had only castrol GTX with absolutely no tranny or clutch issues in any of them.

I will also state that if I knew better I would just buy the stuff thats double the money but I cannot buy something like that when I have no reason. I'm sure there is valid points and I'm sure it does some good but I have no issues with wet clutches with this oil. Not trying to argue just adding to the topic my personal experiences over the last 15 years with GTX product.
Nyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
Golyth
Registered Full

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I'm not starting a fight and I know there will be people to agrue this and it will never change my mind but all my bikes including my honda 929, 3 yfz 450's (2 o4 models and a newer 09), kids honda 90, honda pilot, and vrod with 10,008 miles today all have had only castrol GTX with absolutely no tranny or clutch issues in any of them.

I will also state that if I knew better I would just buy the stuff thats double the money but I cannot buy something like that when I have no reason. I'm sure there is valid points and I'm sure it does some good but I have no issues with wet clutches with this oil. Not trying to argue just adding to the topic my personal experiences over the last 15 years with GTX product.
Have a question. Are you using 20W-50 by chance? Also, I called up castrol and there is not a friction rating and they do not recommend it for motorcycles since it only has an automobile rating. Is there a reason your not using the motorcycle castrol, or do you just prefer GTX. I ask because I have a case of 20W-50 GTX that has been sitting on my shelf and I am contemplating using it on a 64 panhead instead of wasting money on the screamin eagle brand. HD will not endorse any other oil if you call them.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
Nyles
Registered Full

They will not tell you you can use it, as it does not have the "rating" for it, so there hands are tied. I run the 20w-50 in the HD and 929, run 10w-40 in the 450's quads (dune ridding where its hot) and 10w-30 in the cars.
Nyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
Golyth
Registered Full

My thoughts were really, how advanced was the oil in 64. I just wanted to see if anyone else had done this before doing it myself. I plan on primary and engine sump for it. For my 08 VRSCDXA, I will stick with SE for now just because of how much oil I'm burning (if it becomes a warranty issue). I called HD and they said that a qt/1000 miles is in spec. I only have 5K on the bike right now, and it sucks to have to put a quart of oil in the saddlebags because I'm making a weekend trip.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #21
BayouRuler
Mater Distiller

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golyth View Post
My thoughts were really, how advanced was the oil in 64. I just wanted to see if anyone else had done this before doing it myself. I plan on primary and engine sump for it. For my 08 VRSCDXA, I will stick with SE for now just because of how much oil I'm burning (if it becomes a warranty issue). I called HD and they said that a qt/1000 miles is in spec. I only have 5K on the bike right now, and it sucks to have to put a quart of oil in the saddlebags because I'm making a weekend trip.
Switch to Amsoil and run the out of the bike & I mean run it, WOT to red line through the gears and plenty of engine breaking for a couple of hundred mile and I guarantee your oil use will fade to zero.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

-

BayouRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #22
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
I read the amsoil article and became confused. It states that there is a separate sump for the transmission and the clutch. The owners manual specifically states that the oil in the sump is used for the engine, transmission, primary, and clutch. What's the right answer? I probably wouldn't have said anything, but the article specifically stated v-rod.
Actually it states:

The first is where there is a separate fluid reservoir for the clutch
keeping it isolated from the engine and transmission. An example
of this configuration is the primary-drive chain case found on
recent models of Harley-Davidson motorcycles
(exceptions include
Sportsters and V-Rods)

-E-mail me at

Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #23
BayouRuler
Mater Distiller

Lightbulb

-

-

-

BayouRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #24
Golyth
Registered Full

Question - I hear about amsoil quite a bit in discussions through this website. Is there a reason for amsoil to be used so often other than other motorcycle oils available? I'm asking out of ignorance, not for creating battles.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
Golyth
Registered Full

Also, for the amsoil, are you using the diesel rating like in the owners manual, or motorcycle oil.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #26
o2man98
The 1402 Originator

Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Also, for the amsoil, are you using the diesel rating like in the owners manual, or motorcycle oil.
Everyone that gets Amsoil through me is using the Motorcycle 20w-50.

-E-mail me at

Call me at 920-860-0116 for ordering. Best times will be after 5pm weekdays or anytime weekends.
Contact me directly for forum member pricing as Authorized Dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted rates publicly.
Get DEALER COST immediately on your first order by following these instructions.
o2man98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #27
kujo929
09 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2man98 View Post
Actually it states:

recent models of Harley-Davidson motorcycles
(exceptions include
Sportsters and V-Rods)

O2man,

Read farther and you will find what Garlyth was talking about. I had the same question. This is the part where the confusion is:

Wet-clutches can be found in three different configurations.
recent models of Harley-Davidson motorcycles (exceptions include
Sportsters and V-Rods). The second configuration is a
shared transmission and clutch fluid reservoir. Examples of this
configuration can be found on Harley Sportsters and V-Rods, as
well as a few metric bikes like the Honda CRF-250R. The third
is a common engine, transmission and clutch reservoir. This is
the most common configuration and is found in the majority of
metric and European motorcycles as well as ATVs.
26T pulley
Heavycycles Stage II smoked V

kujo929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #28
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Burning oil is NEVER within spec on a modern motorcycle. If you're sticking to SE for cost reasons, you would be better served dumping the syn3 and installing any other motorcycle oil rated for wet clutches. It will be less expensive, so while you keep burning oil you're not burning as much hard earned cash.
Now if you would like to rid yourself of the oil burning curse, keep your RPMs at or above 4k as often as possible, lots of heavy engine braking, and put a quality oil in the bike at next change.

embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #29
mbann66
Registered Full

I was going to post a question about what type of oil to use. Synthetic or regular. I had two dealerships tell me different. I noticed when I used synthetic I had issues with my clutch. (Especially when the bike got warmer) Once I went back to regular, I had no issues. So my question was going to be to see what other were using and if they had an a clutch issue using sythetic?
mbann66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #30
mballard34
Powdercoat Maniac

Quote:
Same thing happen to me until i put it syn (not to mention Amsoil)
It stop burning oil

mballard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement