Assistance - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 AM   #1
Streetboy
Streetboy

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Assistance

Thinking of going Stage I on my VRSCR, but would like to know what would be the pipes that give u the best bang for your buck. So many choices - TAG, VAnce & Hines etc, and all the vendors make sweeping claims about HP increases etc. Quite confusing actually.
Streetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 03:46 AM   #2
ozzie21
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exhaust Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetboy View Post
Thinking of going Stage I on my VRSCR, but would like to know what would be the pipes that give u the best bang for your buck. So many choices - TAG, VAnce & Hines etc, and all the vendors make sweeping claims about HP increases etc. Quite confusing actually.
Don't believe anything you read at manufacturers or vendor website. It's all pretty much BS. If you believed everything they tell you you'll get 15 HP with their exhaust, another 10 HP with a different air filter and on and on.
Before I put the Trask turbo on mine I had the V&H slip-on mufflers and a K&N air filter and run topless. I got 117 RWHP on the dyno, which is typical with those mods. I also had the SE Pro Race Tuner.
You can go the V&H slip-ons, the V&H 2>1 (which might give you slightly more TQ & HP maybe 1 or 2 points), or the TAB which will give you similar results. Akrapovic has a 2>1 system also. I would guess the results would be around the same for them.
Those are generally accepted as the systems that give the best results for TQ & HP gains.
If you want something that'll give you maximum bang-for-buck get a turbo system. My Muscle with the Trask turbo got 165 RWHQ & 117 RWTQ. Runs strong and super reliable.
You're call......

Last edited by ozzie21; 09-11-2019 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added comment
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:57 AM   #3
Streetboy
Streetboy

Thanks Ozzie. I am just looking for a little more from the bike - low down torque increase would be nice, but that probably means new cams. Getting a bit old for turbo stuff being a 65-year old grampa, but wouldn't mind cranking up a bike with a turbo from an on-ramp with a clear freeway ahead. That would be fun!

Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
Streetboy
Streetboy

Ozzie, I checked out the Trask - very nice. Certainly worth a consideration actually. Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
ozzie21
Registered Full

I'm Older Than You

Quote:
Thanks Ozzie. I am just looking for a little more from the bike - low down torque increase would be nice, but that probably means new cams. Getting a bit old for turbo stuff being a 65-year old grampa, but wouldn't mind cranking up a bike with a turbo from an on-ramp with a clear freeway ahead. That would be fun!
Fugg Dat... I'm older than you. As you get older you gotta go faster to get there.... time is short.
Jack Nicholson was in a movie and had a panic attack after seeing Dianne Keaton naked. The doctor was Keanu Reeves. Keanu said what's wrong with that? Jack Nicholson said he never saw a woman his own age naked before and he was freaked out.
Also as the actor Robert Duvall said on Howard Stern a few years ago, "The worst thing for an old man is an old woman".
He was around 70 at the time and his wife was in her mid-30's. Words to live by. FYI my GF is 27.....
Faster is better.
Younger is better.....

Last edited by ozzie21; 09-11-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Punctuation Correction...
Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Go turbo, build your own. Hard parts are the exhaust to the turbo & plenum. The rest of the stuff you need it pretty much bolt on upgrades, all the info is here on the Forum. Or look for a used system to get you started. In the meantime, get rid of excess weight, cods next to nothing.
swampboogiedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
If you can find one, I found the V&H two into one (NOT Competition) to be the best pipe I found for the R. Good gains, lighter weight, not unreasonably loud, and looked good on the R.

They're around on FleaBay occasionally for about $300-400 bucks.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090764.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	723.5 KB
ID:	534033  
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #8
Streetboy
Streetboy

Thanks so much - appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #9
Streetboy
Streetboy

Hey Ozzie - love your outlook on life. As they say in the classics, "if you ain't livin' on the edge, you are takin' up space!"
I can barely deal with my 60-year old wife. A 27-year old would kill me. Lol. But that said, Trask has me interested. Ride safe bru!
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #10
Streetboy
Streetboy

You guys have got me a lookin' at a Trask.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
ozzie21
Registered Full

One-Off Turbo System

Quote:
You guys have got me a lookin' at a Trask.
I would recommend not building a turbo system yourself from bits & pieces you find here and there. You're gonna need fabrication, assembly & good tuning. You have to make sure you have the correct turbo for the bike. It'll be tough getting good tech support. In the end I believe it could end up being a real PITA and even possibly more expensive than just getting a pre-built system. When I put the Trask turbo systems on my Muscle and my FLHX I had it done at Trask performance in Phoenix. They started at 8 AM and by 3-4 PM the systems were fully installed and dyno tuned, ready to roll. While they were doing the work I was out on my other bike doing some touristy stuff. They kept the bikes on the dyno so I could go into the dyno room and actually confirm the TQ & HP numbers. First class place. Then rolled out of the dyno room and went for a ride. Can't beat that.

Last edited by ozzie21; 09-15-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
rbabos
Registered Full

Nice to see old bastards rocking the v rod. I'm 67 this November. Yup, old as dirt for some of you younger riders. First bike was a 47 EL knuckle head, turned into a chopper back in 1969. V will likely be my last bike.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
ozzie21
Registered Full

49 Rigid Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Nice to see old bastards rocking the v rod. I'm 67 this November. Yup, old as dirt for some of you younger riders. First bike was a 47 EL knuckle head, turned into a chopper back in 1969. V will likely be my last bike.
Ron
My first H-D was a rigid '49 Panhead. Before that I had a '56 Ariel. I wasn't even old enough to get a driver's license so every ride was an adventure what with trying to avoid being caught by the police....lol
Old 09-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #14
stevemcgov
Registered Full

I have an 06-D.
Bought a 2nd pair of stock mufflers (same as your R) and Vmodded them - (removed inner baffles) - EZ.
K&N AF. Topless Airbox and modded the lower air box (bottomless)
Bought the Pricey Power Vision ~$400.00 that made the FActory Tune backup and generic tune load (Screaming Eagle Pipes) Foolproof. Left it mounted for Digital Display - Speed-RPM-Engine Temp (coolant) and IAT. Love it.
I'm very happy with it. Sounds like a race car. Not too loud. Runs better.
Pretty cheap stage 1.
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement