Starter clicks, clock flashes, one cylinder down? - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
Night Demon
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey Guys,
I'm having the same issue. Rode into work, no problems. When I started the bike to leave I got the battery light and service light came on, I rode for 20 miles with the lights on, turned the bike off while coasting on a back road and went to restart and nothing. Popped the clutch and the bike fired up but then it wouldn't idle down and the cluster started to flash. I test the battery, charged it, let is sit for a day and checked the battery again an it was reading 12.75 Volts which leaves me to believe its not the battery. I started the bike and the volts dropped to 12.3 while idling.

Hey rbabos, how do I perform the test on the stator that you mention above? obviously I have to have the bike running, but what should the voltage be? Do I connect the red wire to the stator wire and the black to a ground point on the bike?

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
08 VRSCDX.
Night Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #17
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Charge up the battery again so that you can start and run the bike when ready to do the voltage testing, hopefully you get to an idle of about 1200 for the values noted below.

Follow the wire group coming out of the left side engine cover, locate the connector under the left side radiator cover, remove the cover.

Disconnect at the junction, there are three conductors 3 phase AC, while engine is running, measure the AC volts across any two conductors on the side of cable coming from alternator cover, test all three combinations, the amount of AC voltage should be consistent ~20 to 23 volts the value changes based on RPM of idle.

If these check out OK, then your stator is probably OK and the regulator has likely failed.
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #18
Night Demon
Registered Full

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxmanHog View Post
Charge up the battery again so that you can start and run the bike when ready to do the voltage testing, hopefully you get to an idle of about 1200 for the values noted below.

Follow the wire group coming out of the left side engine cover, locate the connector under the left side radiator cover, remove the cover.

Disconnect at the junction, there are three conductors 3 phase AC, while engine is running, measure the AC volts across any two conductors on the side of cable coming from alternator cover, test all three combinations, the amount of AC voltage should be consistent ~20 to 23 volts the value changes based on RPM of idle.

If these check out OK, then your stator is probably OK and the regulator has likely failed.
Thanks TaxmanHog. Much appreciated . I'll give that a try this weekend and I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #19
Night Demon
Registered Full

Hey you all, sorry for not responding back to my findings regarding the stator or regulator.
So I did the test on the stator and all checked out good. I ordered a new regulator, got it installed last weekend and all is good to go.

I just want to give a huge thanks to TaxmanHog for helping me trouble shoot this issue and saving me a lot of money not having to bring the bike into the stealership.

Thanks all.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Excellent to hear good results, enjoy the ride !!
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement